LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Disable knock sensor?

Old 08-20-2010, 01:36 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Disable knock sensor?

I am going to maple grove tonight to see what my car picked up with long tubes and a mail order tune, but i want to disable the knock sensor for the runs. I dont have a lt4 knock module yet so i bought a bottle of octane boost to keep it from detonating, and i would like to bypass the sensor so it is not reading false knock from the long tube headers, witch are hitting a heat shield on the passenger side. Any one know how to do it?
Old 08-20-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you confirmed that the PCM is picking up false knock from your headers?

Octane booster won't do you a bit of good.

Disabling the KS on an OBDII car can be a bit tricky. Even with the resistor modification the PCM will still know something is awry. The easiest thing to do is have it programmed out/desensitized, but since you're looking for something quick, there's really only one option, but I doubt you'll have the time to do it.

Remove the KS from the block and plug the hole (obviously coolant will come out). Run a wire from the KS to ground and let the KS hang. With the KS not touching anything it won't pick up any knock. This is a very crude method but it does work. Like I said though the best thing to do is to have a tuner desensitize it in the PCM.

But this is all for naught if you aren't even seeing any false knock.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Launching!

Oh okay.. I am not sure if it is picking up false knock or not.. I know when i reset the computer it runs better for a short time, and then goes a little limp i guess you could say after a bit. I don't have a plug for the knock sensor hole so i guess ill just deal with it the way it is... All i wanted to use the octane booster for was to make sure there was not any real knock.. I know it is not going to make the car faster, just hopefully keep it from detonating while the pcm has no way of detecting it.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Without a way to monitor your knock, most of this is speculation really. I see where you're coming from though. The octane booster is a waste and most of them are gimmicks or are mis-represented. If you're that concerned about it, put a few gallons of 100-octane in your tank when you get to the track.

Plus it's hot as hell today...why you going racing? MG sucks when it's this hot out.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use to use octane booster until I had to have my injectors and tank cleaned out. My motor guy told me they (octane booster & Injector cleaner) can do a lot more harm to your car than good. They will sit at the bottom of the tank and collect . Just what I was told so i quit using any products in my tank except Seafoam
Old 08-20-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Race gas will be much more beneficial to you at this point.....Have you changed your o2s lately?
Why race in the heat? I am sure its really humid where you are at.
Vegas is:
100 °F
Barometer:29.8 in and steady
Humidity:14 %
Visibility:10 mi
Dewpoint:43 °F
Old 08-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Launching!

Well it isn't that bad out today..
Humidity: 46%
Wind Speed: WNW 10 mph
Barometer: 29.97 in.
Dewpoint: 63°F
Heat Index: 87°F
Wind Chill: 86°F

Race gas is probably the best bet then? Ill leave the octane booster in the garage.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Launching!

@ ram Air- Today is the only day i have open for a while and i have been trying to get out for weeks now, and its not really a ideal day for it, but it isn't to bad.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disable knock sensor?