Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E cooler fittings

Old 08-24-2010, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 4L80E cooler fittings

I have a 4L80E in an old Jaguar and the side of the transmission is pretty close to the trans tunnel. I have a set of steel quick-connect to AN fittings that go into the transmission, and then a 90 degree AN elbow that points towards the front of the car.

The problem is that the quick connect fittings/elbow assembly is too long, and it interferes with the trans tunnel. Is there something I can do that will give me more clearance, besides taking a hammer to the trans tunnel? Maybe a different set of fittings? I am going to a hose barb, so I have some flexibility.

Thanks, -Dave
Old 08-24-2010, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

call TCI they make them in a -6 fitting
Old 08-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Gingervitis Addict

The front fitting (or both if an early style trans) can use a 1/4NPT to -6.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Are the threads in the case 1/4" NPT? That seems sort of small. The fittings that are screwed into the case right now have a quick-disconnect outlet. I currently have a quick-disconnect to -6AN, and it's not going to work for me unless I can find a really compact 90 degree AN elbow.

I am considering trying to find a piece of tubing with the correct flare on it, and see if I can bend it close enough to the end so that it will go directly into the quick-disconnect fitting screwed into the trans case.

I think the only other option is to unscrew the fittings that go into the trans case and replace them with something else. I think the older style used an NPT outlet, but I don't know much about them, or if they will be more compact.

I am going to post some pictures tomorrow... I think that will help a lot.

Originally Posted by slow67
The front fitting (or both if an early style trans) can use a 1/4NPT to -6.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

the fittings are 1/4-18 straight thread (not tapered) you can buy them that replace the stock fittings, then just use an AN 90 on them-if you have a newer trans with the return in the back, they now have that fitting in a replacement with a #6 AN also
there's several sources for the fittings, been posted on here a few times, i cant find any of the sites now, but try a search
i think i got the last ones for the newer trans off ebay
Old 08-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Originally Posted by FastKat
Are the threads in the case 1/4" NPT? That seems sort of small. The fittings that are screwed into the case right now have a quick-disconnect outlet. I currently have a quick-disconnect to -6AN, and it's not going to work for me unless I can find a really compact 90 degree AN elbow.

I am considering trying to find a piece of tubing with the correct flare on it, and see if I can bend it close enough to the end so that it will go directly into the quick-disconnect fitting screwed into the trans case.

I think the only other option is to unscrew the fittings that go into the trans case and replace them with something else. I think the older style used an NPT outlet, but I don't know much about them, or if they will be more compact.

I am going to post some pictures tomorrow... I think that will help a lot.
Both fittings are 1/4 NPT, but if you have a 97+ case (with front/rear fittings instead of top/bottom) it needs to have a tube in the center that extends it into the center support (if you want to make your own, Vince @ FLT posted a picture of one he made by pressing a piece of tube into the middle of 1/4 NPT to -6 AN fitting)

Originally Posted by forcd ind
the fittings are 1/4-18 straight thread (not tapered) you can buy them that replace the stock fittings, then just use an AN 90 on them-if you have a newer trans with the return in the back, they now have that fitting in a replacement with a #6 AN also
there's several sources for the fittings, been posted on here a few times, i cant find any of the sites now, but try a search
i think i got the last ones for the newer trans off ebay
1/4 NPT is 0.540 in (13.72 mm) OD by 18 (which is what the case is).
The female side of NPT isn't tapered much (if at all) (case side). The taper is on the male fitting.
As long as you don't he-man the fitting and crack the case, 1/4 NPT is no problem (no real reason to spend $30+ dollars a fitting when a standard 1/4 NPT works just fine).
Old 08-27-2010, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

I found a piece of flared tubing with a tight 90 degree bend on an old Astro van that will plug directly into the quick-disconnect fittings currently on the transmission. The front fitting wasn't so bad, but clearance for the rear fitting was a little tight. Most of the pieces of pre-bent tubing I found at the salvage yard (and that I assembled using various elbows, etc) did not bend tight enough and interfered with the trans tunnel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4L80E cooler fittings