lt4 hot cam kit vs just the lt4 hot cam

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt4 hot cam kit vs just the lt4 hot cam

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-24502586 lt4 hot cam

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12480002 lt4 hot cam kit

Has anybody ever used just the cam and is there a big difference in the kits cam vs just the lt4 hot cam?
yes i am a newbie so be easy on me lol
Old 08-25-2010, 03:29 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With any aftermarket cam, you should upgrade your valvetrain as well. If you just threw that cam in, it probably won't run like it should, and you risk snapping a spring or doing something else that will ultimately end in harm to your motor.

For any cam swap you'll be spending a fortune in parts anyway (gaskets, tune, etc). So, do it right the first time. Also, the hot cam is a proven choice, there's so much more out there to choose from.

Have you looked at this sticky? https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ion-guide.html
Old 08-25-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

don't waste your money on the kit. I know alot of people running the hotcam and make some decent numbers. You're gonna want to sit down and think about what you want out of car. If you ultimately wanna go with the hotcam then that's your choice but you're most definitely going to want to upgrade your valvetrain, springs, maybe lifters, pushrods, rocker arms.

Trust me when I tell you, I learned the hard way how expensive it can be. Like the guy before said, do it right the first time.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

when you upgrade to the lt4 hotcam, you need to upgrade your valve springs, especially when you go to the 1.6 rocker arms...the stock valve springs are too weak for the hotcam..
the hotcam kit is hard to beat for the money.. its a solid performing setup...

you could piece together a better cam ,springs, locks and retainers, then add in 1.6 rocker arms, but you'll pay alot more for it
Old 08-25-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The kit just makes it easier since it has everything you need for a cam swap. Besides gaskets. You WILL need, at minimum, new valve springs no questions asked when installing a "bigger" cam even for the hotcam.

Its not for everyone but i personally like it. I do know my wimpy Hotcam car is faster then a custom Joe overton cam running car lol cough cough
Old 08-25-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ not anymore!! hahaha but I also have alot more into it than I did before and if you were faster than me now, I'd just never drive my car again.

I just thought that those hotcam springs were kinda weak no?
Old 08-25-2010, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

we will just have to see now wont we

yeah people say there weak, there not the best but I can say I personally have had no issues with the springs that come with them. Had them in for over 30,000 miles.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

I also was gonna do the hot cam kit but do you guys have a better kit in mind or piece parts? No too much more money!
Old 08-25-2010, 11:22 PM
10 Second Club

I personally liked the hotcam. But its all in what your looking for out of the car, and what your budget is.

When I was in highschool my budget could only swing the hotcam, I gave it all the supporting mods it needed and it was a tough car to beat. End of last year with a 1900DA I cut three passes 12.4,12.3,12.2. The car weighed 3600lbs and was 100% stock suspension with the front sway bar. If I were to do it all over again I would. There was more to be had in this setup, And the car couldve seen elevens with some more suspension work and dragradials instead of slicks.

What you have to remember with ANY cam setup is that its the WHOLE package. Stall,gears,LT headers,CAI,tires. I couldnt afford a bigger cam (and need the better springs, NSA RRs, guideplates) and stick the LT headers and a decent stall converter in so I settled for the hotcam.

For what its worth the car only ran 8.3 with a cheap stall (B&M 2800) in the 1/8th.
I switched to a circle D stall and went 7.7-7.8 with a 3600. My next converter will be an ATI.

Hope this helps.

I would do the kit before I pieced a kit together for just the lt4 hotcam. If you were going to piece it together you mise well go with a custom grind or a cc503.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was in your boat a few months ago, i needed a cam for my rebuild and when i had it spec'd based on my mods i got the cam in my sig. id definitely get a custom grind based on your goals
Old 08-26-2010, 11:59 PM
11 Second Club

I have a brand new LT4 Hotcam regrind for sale for $125 shipped if your intersted in just the cam.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:34 AM
On The Tree

At the very least do springs. The lt4 springs are only $30+ship. Its cheap insurance. Stock rockers are fine. You just wont be taking full advantage of that cam till you upgrade to 1.6RR. Lifters i would do if the car has over 90k on it. Again cheap insurance. Also it is EXTREMELY RECOMMENDED that you get a tune at the same time that you do the cam swap. Sure you can drive it without it but if your gonna do that you might as well just stick with the stock cam.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:16 AM
12 Second Club

I know this isn't directly you're question...but just to clarify, the LT4 "hotcam" listed there on Summit is NOT the same cam that actually came in the 1996 LT4 Corvette...

I'm pretty surprised Summit lists it as "These LT4 Hot Cams from GM Performance are direct replacements for your stock LT4 hydraulic roller cam. They are designed to make your Corvette perform like it just rolled off the showroom floor."

My spec book lists a factory LT4 cam at: .476" Gross Intake Lift/ 203 deg duration @.050"; and .480" Exh Lift/210 deg duration @.050".

Nonetheless, I use to run the LT4 Hotcam "Kit" in my old '94 LT1, and it was great. If you intend on running the Hotcam, get the whole Kit...period. Otherwise, alternatives would be a diff cam and piece together the rest yourself "roller rockers, springs, retainers, etc...etc.."

So, to answer your question directly...No, there is zero difference between the individual "hotcam" and the "hotcam" that comes in the full kit listed there on summit. BUT, the original factory LT4 cam is different.

Far as lifters go, if your stockers are in good shape you do not need to replace them with the LT4 hotcam kit. The kit comes with what you need, unless you have parts that already need replacing; regardless of the cam swap.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Teching In

buy the kit, dont peice it together. i have the hot cam and love it. im not trying to be the fastest but i do love the weekend fun. i didnt do it right the 1st time and it cost me almost 3x as much to fix it. get the hot cam package and call it a day. i have alot more done but the cam does justice
Old 02-24-2011, 01:56 PM
Teching In

thanks for all the info i forgot about this thread needed money to spend on other things so i stopped looking at this stuff and being tempted but the car is getting fixed and should be running in the late spring. i will go with the hot cam kit but i do have to pass Canadian emissions so will this effect it?
thanks again for all the info
Old 02-25-2011, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

One piece of advice - Do not use the GM LT4 valve spring retainers, they are the weak link in the GM Hot Cam Kit. Ask me know I know...
Old 02-25-2011, 01:03 AM
Teching In

any suggestions for better locks and retainers?
Old 02-25-2011, 07:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you really want the HOT cam I would buy the cam then get the rockers and springs separate.

The rockers are not up to the task of modern cams(lift limited by a short slot) and it is pretty likely you will want to upgrade again later, buy a better rocker now that will grow with you.
The LT4 springs are marginal with LT4 hollow intake and sodium filled exhaust valves, much lighter than stock LT1. I would use more spring on an LT1 unless you wanted to stay really cheap and use stock rockers on the HOT cam then I think LT4 springs would do the trick.

When doing mods always look to the next step because we all say "this will be enough" and a year later we are back after more.

There was a time when I was going to be happy with 320rwhp and low 13s. These days the tech guy at the track says my next major mod is a rollbar and that will probably happen at some point.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
Its not for everyone but i personally like it. I do know my wimpy Hotcam car is faster then a custom Joe overton cam running car lol cough cough
OH SNAP!!! lol You coming to the LTx Shootout this year Joe?

Last edited by Black94Z28; 02-25-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:55 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

personally there are alot better options out there than the LT4 cam..........but for the price it is pretty cheap...........all matter on your budget.....if you can afford to swing the extra dough AI has a really nice hydraulic roller package for sale with some nice parts for a good price.......

if you want to go with a better spring you can run the PAC 1218's on it and you'll be better off than the LT4 spring.........

Quick Reply: lt4 hot cam kit vs just the lt4 hot cam