General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Change ignition cylinder/key

Old 08-25-2010, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Change ignition cylinder/key

I just bought my 2000 Camaro and I'm just a little paranoid there might be more than one key floating out there. So I'd like to swap it for a completely different ignition switch/key. Does anyone know what's involved? I'm aware of the 'chip' (resistor) in the key, can I just swap the ignition switch and be good or do I have to bring it into a dealer.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:16 AM
Teching In

its not hard to do at all. you need the new cylinder that is about 30 bucks from the part store. it comes with a new key, but it does not have the chip in it. take that key and your orignal key to the dealer and have them use the new key cut with the same resistance that your current chip has. the key is about 20-30 bucks.

you do have to remove the steering wheel and air bag. if this sounds like something you think you can do your self let me know and i will give you step by step on how to do it. it took me about 45 min to do mine, but i also have been working on cars for 8 years.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 214 Likes on 175 Posts

my VATS went out and got a new key and cylinder installed from the dealer.........500$
Old 08-26-2010, 08:17 AM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Please do continue, I've been working on cars for 10 years so I can handle it. I usually don't let anyone work on my cars but me (unless it's to re-charge A/C).

my VATS went out and got a new key and cylinder installed from the dealer.........500$
LOL, hence why I want to do it myself
Old 08-26-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

I went to carlocksandkeys.com when I ordered mine. If you know the resistance of your chip, you can tell them the pellet # and they will cut your key to match the cylinder you order. Sure, it might be more costly (but not far from the stealership probably), but I paid it for the convenience factor.

And changing out the cylinder is cake. Chilton's was actually pretty good at explaining it. Just get a steering wheel puller, simple tools and some wire and you will have what you need.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:11 PM
Teching In

pm me your email and i will give you step by step instructions with picutres
Old 09-01-2010, 01:23 AM
Teching In

Disable the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.
Important: The turn signal and multifunction switch assembly wires do not have to be pulled through the column when removing the assembly unless necessary. Let the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly hang freely after removal of the screws.

Remove the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly.
Put the key in the LOCK position.
Disconnect the steering column key lock cylinder set terminal connectors.
Attach a wire to the terminal connectors. This will make installation easier.
Remove the buzzer switch assembly (3).

Remove the lock retaining screw (2).
Remove the retaining clip (4) from the steering column lock cylinder set terminal connector (5).
Remove the steering column lock cylinder set (1).
Gently pull the terminal connectors (5) through the column.

any more help let me know
Old 02-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Teching In

I have the same problem right now what is the step by step
Old 07-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Teching In

I have the same problem. Is there a picture install anywhere?
Old 07-27-2012, 10:10 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by RonRy
I have the same problem. Is there a picture install anywhere?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...mn-repair.html
Old 04-14-2017, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tuzzy
its not hard to do at all. you need the new cylinder that is about 30 bucks from the part store. it comes with a new key, but it does not have the chip in it. take that key and your orignal key to the dealer and have them use the new key cut with the same resistance that your current chip has. the key is about 20-30 bucks.

you do have to remove the steering wheel and air bag. if this sounds like something you think you can do your self let me know and i will give you step by step on how to do it. it took me about 45 min to do mine, but i also have been working on cars for 8 years.
Hey do you have a step by step on how to do this. I'm in the process of changing my ingnition. Thanks
Old 11-19-2017, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by tuzzy

what are the step by step directions on how to do this
Old 03-16-2018, 04:36 PM

Default Helppp

So I'm thinking about buying a 2002 camero V6 but it doesn't have a key . So my question is if I do buy how do I get a key can I get a new ignition switch what ???
Old 03-16-2018, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You have two problems. The ignition switch could be replaced with a new key cylinder or the existing lock removed and taken to a locksmith to have a new key made. However, both of these solutions will require knowing what the resistive value of the original key was to enable the VATS system. A dealer may also be able to give you the original key codes by using the VIN, but may be hesitant without some sort of proof of ownership. Otherwise, you'll have to get all 15 resistors and by-pass the VATS one by one until you find the correct resistor.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:28 PM

They have a title for it. But they don't know it it runs .... It's said they bought it from a recker service along with a couple other cars . So I think I'ma have to back out . I was hoping to just be able to put a little money in and sell it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Change ignition cylinder/key