General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I tried those new E3 diamond fire spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I tried those new E3 diamond fire spark plugs

so i was running some bosch supers ever since the motor was built.. then the day before i went back to the track i wanted to try some different plugs cause EVERYONE says stay away from bosch.. so i threw in some tr6 plugs and that was a mistake.. i was backfiring goin down the road. so i pulled those right out after makin sure all my wires were on good. then i went and got some of those new e3 plugs.. i threw them in and went to the track. they claim improved power and all that, BS they didnt do a damn thing but give my car a miss on a cold start.. so now i think ill be goin back to bosch or a/c delco's. i must say for 8 bucks a plug i was dissapointed. they dont even fit a spark plug socket. i had to use a 16mm socket. who does that? oh and i didnt even gain a tenth at the track.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your n/a id stick with a tr55 plug
Old 09-17-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, a spark plug is a spark plug unless it sucks, and then it's just a shitty plug. Why anyone would market a plug that, by design, has a lot of spark shroud makes no sense to me.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Go with AC Delco Platinum (original equipment) or AC Delco Iridium (upgrade).

Both will give you excellent performance and long life.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Regular

im just letting people know the e3 is nothing to run to the store to get.. reason i tried them is my buddy said he threw them in his malibu (dont know why) and he said "it runs like a v8" so i figured its new maybe there is some new amazing plug out there. but no. just an expensive pos
Old 09-17-2010, 09:03 PM
12 Second Club

always ran the NGK TR6s in the formula..never had a problem..
Old 09-18-2010, 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

Autolite platinums in all my LSX's since 2000. Not putting no jap made stuff in my cars even though i would take NGKs over Bosch crap anyday!

Last edited by CJDZ24_Z28; 09-21-2010 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

I run the E3's and they work great in my car and i had no problems w/ them.I tell everyone the E3's is why my car runs high 11's w/ bolt-on's.LOL.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
Autolite platinums in all my LSX's since 2000. Not putting no jap made stuff in my cars even though i would take NGKs or Bosch crap anyday!
Actually, NGK's been in the US since the 1960s and builds spark plugs in two US manufacturing plants and are, as far as I know, the largest OEM supplier in the world for spark plugs.

I guess that's irrelevant when we're dealing with an engine as exotic and rare as an LS1, though.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've tried Bosch (meh), Autolite (those were better) and then the AC delco iridiums (best of the 3). I'm sticking with the AC Delcos in GM cars.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

it's just setting the fuel on fire... It either does it or it doesn't.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by treyZ28
it's just setting the fuel on fire... It either does it or it doesn't.
There is tons more science to it than that.

A weak, low voltage spark from a plug with a .020" gap could ignite a stoich air/fuel mix. But its sure as hell not ideal in the least.

Its all about the design of the plug, the material its made of, and the quality. The flame front a plug creates can be the difference between making power and counting misfires.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Element
Actually, NGK's been in the US since the 1960s and builds spark plugs in two US manufacturing plants and are, as far as I know, the largest OEM supplier in the world for spark plugs.
1966 - NGK Spark Plugs (USA), Inc. was established as a subsidiary of NGK Spark Plug Co, Ltd., of Japan ( www.ngkntk.co.jp ). Its purpose was to establish and develop a market in the United States for NGK spark plugs and NTK ceramic products

Company was founded in Japan and their Global headquaters is still there. Its just like buying a Toyota telling people but its made in the USA. So the **** what still a Japan based company not a 100% American company even though the product is based here. I'm not knocking them NGK plugs are really a great plug just prefer the autolite platinums.

Originally Posted by Element
I guess that's irrelevant when we're dealing with an engine as exotic and rare as an LS1, though.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

1966 - NGK Spark Plugs (USA), Inc. was established as a subsidiary of NGK Spark Plug Co, Ltd., of Japan ( www.ngkntk.co.jp ). Its purpose was to establish and develop a market in the United States for NGK spark plugs and NTK ceramic products

Company was founded in Japan and their Global headquaters is still there. Its just like buying a Toyota telling people but its made in the USA. So the **** what still a Japan based company not a 100% American company even though the product is based here. I'm not knocking them NGK plugs are really a great plug just prefer the autolite platinums.

What does an "American Company" or "Japanese Company" even mean? Okay, wonderful; one is listed on an American stock exchange while the other is listed on a Japanese stock exchange. This isn't 1922. All the companies are globally owned.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Spark plugs ain't exactly cars...there's not a huge amount of engineering that goes into them. The company has a major branch in the US (and has for decades) and manufactures plugs in-country.

You do realise your car was built in Canada, right? Not exactly like f-bodies are triumphs of successful American manufacturing. Most of the parts in your tv, computer, cell phone, and all sorts of other electronic gadgets are sourced from overseas, too.

Sorry, I just have problems with the whole, "It ain't American, so I ain't buying it!" especially when it's based on the "It wasn't designed in America, don't matter where it's built, it ain't American!" un-logic. You can't bitch about outsourcing all manufacturing and QC if you use that logic.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

Autolite platinums in all my LSX's since 2000. Not putting no jap made stuff in my cars even though i would take NGKs over Bosch crap anyday!
Where are your tires made?

Originally Posted by ricknbird350
reason i tried them is my buddy said he threw them in his malibu (dont know why) and he said "it runs like a v8"
When you pay to notice a difference, you will convince yourself there is just so you can sleep at night over wasting money.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by treyZ28
What does an "American Company" or "Japanese Company" even mean? Okay, wonderful; one is listed on an American stock exchange while the other is listed on a Japanese stock exchange. This isn't 1922. All the companies are globally owned.
Case in point, I work for a company that makes heat exchangers (Radiators, Oil Coolers, Charge Air Coolers, ect.), called "T.Rad North America" we are owned by T.Rad Japan. But the majority of everything we produce is in fact American Made and Assembled.

Now occasionally we do use parts from our parent company of Japan and I will be the first to admit, They produce some high quality components that are in most cases better then our own.

Having said all that, you get what you pay for.

Quick Reply: I tried those new E3 diamond fire spark plugs