General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

do brake lines just blow or was my brake line cut?

Old 09-22-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default do brake lines just blow or was my brake line cut?

this is on my 99 malibu beater, not my T/A. I was going out tonight to replace a PCV hose on the T/A and i got into the malibu and the brakes seemed a bit more squishy than normal. i drove about a block down the street and the brake light came on so i turned around and came home. i just was now out in the driveway with a flashlight and there is a trail of brake fluid from where the car was parked originalyl up to where i pulled it up by the garage to check for brake fluid (and where i discovered it was low)

WTF? this has me a bit worried. i've never heard of brake lines blowing like that.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Ive seen the metal lines bust because they were rusted but never seen a hose bust. Not saying it sint possible.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Junkie

looks like rust could be a problem. i think the lines above the fuel tank might have burst?

now i remember why i don't drive my T/A in the winter. rust sucks!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't happen often, if your curious take a look at the hole. If it's a real clean cut like a set of wire cutters did it someone might be trying to kill you. Not sure if your married but that's usually the first place to look for a suspect. I'm sure most 99 Malibus have seen better days though and a broken brake line seems possible. I see quite a few around here with half the quarter panel rusted away already.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

Considering I can't even SEE the line where it's leaking from, I doubt someone cut it due to it's location.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JUICED1
Doesn't happen often, if your curious take a look at the hole. If it's a real clean cut like a set of wire cutters did it someone might be trying to kill you. Not sure if your married but that's usually the first place to look for a suspect. I'm sure most 99 Malibus have seen better days though and a broken brake line seems possible. I see quite a few around here with half the quarter panel rusted away already.
i am not married, however i am not a popular person. never have been. ironically i was telling someone a story online earlier about how when i was in high school some kid tried to distract me while another kid was going to cut my brakes. he didn't get a chance to be cause i didn't drive to school that day. I graduated in 98 though so this wasn't something recent.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm sure its just good ol northwest indiana rust
Old 09-22-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Junkie

so how dangerous would it be to top off the master cylinder and drive the car ~ 2 mi to a repair shop? or should i just get it towed? there do still appear to be some brakes it just seems like it takes a bit further to stop.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Have it towed. Dont take a risk like that. Also be prepared to find more weak spots when the line is fixed. We had a dodge truck that started out with 1 spot leaking and it was like a chain reaction. After 5 more spots fixed and then a fuel line broke.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Junkie

well i drove it and it was ok. i only took it 2 mi to the shop. ended up costing $507 to have 2 new brake lines installed from the master cylinder all the way back. I put some fluid in before i left the house and when they dropped me off i could see the trail of fluid from when i left the driveway. they also said i will need new front rotors and pads soon but i didn't want to spend the extra $300+ right now.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get rotors for between $30 & $50, pads about the same. Drums and shoes likewise.

Your rotors may not even need to be replaced...I'm sure they say that to everybody.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible
You can get rotors for between $30 & $50, pads about the same. Drums and shoes likewise.

Your rotors may not even need to be replaced...I'm sure they say that to everybody.
no they don't. they said the rotors needed replaced next time because it's had at least one set of pads since the last time they were changed and the back of the rotors are rusty as ****.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its very common for brake lines to rust and burst, especially in the snow zones. The salt and brines used to disolve ice wreaks havok on the metal lines, even trans lines. I had to replace two lines on my 2001 Suburban and one on my 1998 Buick Skylark. I work at a GM/volvo/mercedes dealership and our service dept regularly replaces brake lines on winter daily drivers.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One set of pads doesn't wear out a rotor. And if one side has rust while the other doesn't, it isn't your rotor that's the problem.

You can do it yourself to understand what's going on or you can pay someone else to do it and be at their mercy. Personally, I don't find being at the mercy of people trying to make money all that great. Some shops are trustworthy, some aren't. And, yes, they do say that more often than you'd think.

Good luck with all that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: do brake lines just blow or was my brake line cut?