Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

well i know why my old 4l60e lost reverse now, pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 01:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default well i know why my old 4l60e lost reverse now, pics

so today i tore down my old trans just to see what was wrong with it. low reverse clutches were toast as i figure and the spacer in the sunshel welded its self to the sun gear and sun shell. amazing the sun gear and sun shell didnt go bad. another 105k epic chevy failure. so im rebuilding this one myself so i have a back up incase my 20k replacement goes bad too.ive had a few of these apart now and they arent so complicated.
anyways heres pics of my mess

Old 10-22-2010, 01:44 AM
On The Tree

Fubar
Old 10-22-2010, 01:49 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah same here. That was mine.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:00 AM
On The Tree

everyone tried to tell me the sun gear would be stripped lol, but it wasn't, hell its was welded. normally does that gear disengage from the shell ? i don't understand exactly how it works but if it doesn't i cant see why they wouldn't make the 2 one piece.

Last edited by hoursetraitor; 10-22-2010 at 02:18 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:50 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the shell was stripped out you would have lost 2nd, 4th and reverse. I honestly question why the thrust washer failed. What happened in your case is uncommon IMO. I think that something else lead up to this if I had to guess. Obviously your no reverse issue was caused because of the clutches. Best of luck with the build. Vince
Old 10-23-2010, 03:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
If the shell was stripped out you would have lost 2nd, 4th and reverse. I honestly question why the thrust washer failed. What happened in your case is uncommon IMO. I think that something else lead up to this if I had to guess. Obviously your no reverse issue was caused because of the clutches. Best of luck with the build. Vince
well i noticed my new trans and old one have different separator plates. there's a check ball in a weird socket in the separator on the bad trans but wasn't like that on the new one. so it was basically stuck in the plate, not sure if that's normal on some early 94 units. im not using really anything from the old trans when i rebuild it since i have gutts from a rebuilt 93 unit.
i dont need to rebuild it i already have a differant trans in the car, but i want to just so i have a back up unit. understanding what cause the failure would be nice though since you say its uncommon. any ideas?
Old 10-25-2010, 02:34 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

As Vince says this is very uncommon as for the trust washer damage. Make sure that the driveshaft has the proper clearance when it is installed in the transmission. If there is too little play, then this can happen and/or the thrust bearings can be damaged from this. Replace the sunshell with the late heat treated one from GM. I carry these. A new thrust washer and a good used output hub (reaction carrier shaft) will be needed here. If the output sun gear is in good shape you can press it out and clean up the burrs on it and reuse it, if not a good used one will be fine. Replace all of the bushings while it is out if you are not planning on rebuilding it. Inspect everything closely as the thrust washer when coming apart can find its way into the gears, clutches, etc. As for the low reverse clutches going away, this is somewhat common on 1993 - 1995 units, by 1996 GM fixed this problem. You can grind on the manual valve as per TransGo Shift kit instructions, do the drilling of the low reverse piston as per ATSG rebuild book instructions, and remove the checkball form the capsule just above the low reverse apply passages in the rear of the case. All of this will prevent this from happening again. And any time you move the shift lever from Park or Reverse to any forward shifter position, count to "1", then go. This will make sure the low reverse clutches will be completely off when you start moving. Yes, they are on in the Park shifter position.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PBA
As Vince says this is very uncommon as for the trust washer damage. Make sure that the driveshaft has the proper clearance when it is installed in the transmission. If there is too little play, then this can happen and/or the thrust bearings can be damaged from this. Replace the sunshell with the late heat treated one from GM. I carry these. A new thrust washer and a good used output hub (reaction carrier shaft) will be needed here. If the output sun gear is in good shape you can press it out and clean up the burrs on it and reuse it, if not a good used one will be fine. Replace all of the bushings while it is out if you are not planning on rebuilding it. Inspect everything closely as the thrust washer when coming apart can find its way into the gears, clutches, etc. As for the low reverse clutches going away, this is somewhat common on 1993 - 1995 units, by 1996 GM fixed this problem. You can grind on the manual valve as per TransGo Shift kit instructions, do the drilling of the low reverse piston as per ATSG rebuild book instructions, and remove the checkball form the capsule just above the low reverse apply passages in the rear of the case. All of this will prevent this from happening again. And any time you move the shift lever from Park or Reverse to any forward shifter position, count to "1", then go. This will make sure the low reverse clutches will be completely off when you start moving. Yes, they are on in the Park shifter position.
on the one thats in the car now i was told to remove the check ball from the capsule. so i did do that. but i hadnt heard alot on the other modifications. any usefull link you know off hand for the grinding and drilling?
i pretty much tossed everything that was inside the old trans since i have a good rebuilt 93 unit from a astro i gutted. i was working at aamco for a while but never had time to bring my old case in so everything is just kinda sitting and waiting for the case to be cleaned up and i havent decided exactly how i want to build the trans or done enough research to know what i want out of it. im just running a stock converter. i have the old one but i think its safe to say its probably junk right? there was lots of metal in the pan an fluid.
i did have a broken trans mount but i think that happen after the trans was bad when it would go bang shifting gears

Quick Reply: well i know why my old 4l60e lost reverse now, pics