Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

NO Right Side Blinkers...Checked Flasher

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 10:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NO Right Side Blinkers...Checked Flasher

On a 98 trans am with all 99 wireing.

Can't get my passenger side blinkers to work. Looked underneath and i only saw one round flasher, and when i blink left it's clicking. When i blink right i hear something click from the passenger side. Does that one flasher control both sides?

Need help guys
Old 06-30-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

there should be one flasher for each side
from what i know!
Old 07-01-2010, 10:07 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

You do have two flashers but they are not for opposite sides. One flasher handles turn signals and the other handles hazard flashers. I don't know of any car in the world that has separate flashers for left and right (well actually, the old 60s Cougars with mechanical sequential turn signals had separate flashers).

Besides, the problem isn't your flasher. It's much simpler than that. You have a bulb not working on the side that doesn't flash. It is probably just a burned out bulb but it could also be a corroded socket (especially in the front). Turn on your hazard flashers and then walk around the car looking for the lamp that doesn't flash - that will be the bad bulb or socket.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

i've tried to search an answer to my problem, and this was the closest i came to the issue i'm having.

For some reason my passenger side blinkers/turn signals will not work. All of my bulbs work perfectly fine on both sides of the car, and all lights flash properly when the hazard lights are turned on. The drivers side turn signals work perfectly fine as well. I'm only having a problem with the pass. side signals. They do nothing when turn them on, i don't even get the clicking sound inside the car.

anybody know what it might be?
Old 11-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Launching!

Have you checked the sockets for corrosion and proper ground?
Old 11-07-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

^yeah, everything looked fine.

i actually found an odd solutuion, not sure why it worked, but it did. last year i swapped in different front side markers, and one of them (pass. side) was cracked where the bulb/socket was supposed to go, so it wouldn't hold the bulb in place, so i just removed the bulb and left the wire just hanging inside. that was never an issue with anything though. So when i was just checking, that was still the only bulb out, and even though it had never caused an issue with the blinkers before, i figured that may be a part of the issue. Since i didn't have an extra bulb, i decided to see what would happen if i removed the bulb from the drivers side front marker, and then checked if the blinker would work. Not only did the signals still work, when i tried to turn the pass. side blinkers on, they came on perfectly fine as well. I dont know, i guess something about both sides being evened out made it work, i can't say. all i know is everything works fine, and since i dont really see the need in the front side marker lights, i'll just keep the bulbs out.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

I have this problem too. All my blinkers work, but my daytime driving lights do not. It blinks fine but it will otherwise not light up. I changed out the bulb a few weeks ago and got the wires messed up. When I connect my ground to what I think is the ground wire to the car the blinker will not blink and the arrow will stay lit up when headlights are on. But will work fine when headlights are off. Any suggestions?
Old 11-27-2010, 09:20 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Sounds like you installed a new socket or did some other rewiring at the lamps. The correct wires are:
brown - parking lights power (only used when headlights are on)
black - ground
blue - turn signal and daytime running lights power (dark blue on right and light blue on left)

Chances are that you don't have a proper ground. When that happens, the power from one circuit will ground through the other. That's why you get different symptoms depending on whether the headlights are on or not.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

Well thank you very much I just fixed it thanks to your help. I'm an idiot and had the ground wired to the blue wire errrr haha thanks again.

Quick Reply: NO Right Side Blinkers...Checked Flasher