General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Radiator hose popping off

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator hose popping off

All stock ls1 Camaro I can drive around town just fine but a few times now iv had a radiator hose pop off every time the cars been idling in my driveway. Iv had booth the upper and lower hose pop off iv changed the radiator cap to see if that would fix it but it didn't.
Anyone have any input on what it might be or how to fix it?
Old 11-28-2010, 12:46 AM
TECH Resident

still using the shitty stock clamps?
Old 11-28-2010, 12:59 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

That has to be a first-I've never heard of such a thing. The previous poster has a point-switch to worm gear clamps, not those stupid factory things, and see if that helps...
Old 11-28-2010, 01:26 AM
Staging Lane

Has a new radiator, water pump, hoses and clamps

Idk what to do I bought a new thermostat I haven't put it on yet.
Only other thong I can think of is a blown head gasket or crack in the block
Old 11-28-2010, 04:36 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those "shitty" factory clamps are the best you can get........thats way the factory uses them. They are self adjusting UNLIKE the shitty worm clamps that can't adjust for temp changes like the" shitty" factory clamps.
Put the factory clamps back on.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:43 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Those self adjusting clamps, like anything else, wear out over time. People change their oil, engines, wheels, paint jobs, but I wager those're the original clamps from the factory. Personally, I've had them go loose on two of my cars, although not to the degree of this thread's problem. OP, you can go either way, just make sure they're on properly, and that the outlets aren't bent or something...
Old 11-28-2010, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

The clamps are just normal hose clams, every time the hoses have poped off the radiator never the water pump or t-stat
Old 11-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Did this happen with the old radiator, pump, hose, etc? If not, something is probably the wrong size. Maybe the hose?
Old 11-28-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

are you sure the clamps are over the barbs? it may look like they are all the way on but if the clamps are not over the barbed ends of the radiator spouts you'll get exactly what your getting.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:24 AM
12 Second Club

Any SES codes? Last time I saw this the head gasket was toast and putting compression into the system.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by donedidit
Has a new radiator, water pump, hoses and clamps

Idk what to do I bought a new thermostat I haven't put it on yet.
Only other thong I can think of is a blown head gasket or crack in the block
Posible its a very small head gasket leak and you are not overheating because of it.....BUT it will over pressurize the system. If the radiator cap is not releasing that pressure, the upper and lower radiator hoses are the ones that will pop off first. Did you get an 18psi radiator cap? Your overflow tank should fill up before a hoses pop off............also check to make sure your overflow line is not clogged up.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

The car had a the new parts b4 I bought it.

Theres no codes

It has a new 18psi cap and water is getting to the overflow tank

So back to a head gasket? Iv never had a head gasket do that theres always been water in the oil and puffs of white smoke (stem)
Old 11-28-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

So back to a head gasket? Iv never had a head gasket do that theres always been water in the oil and puffs of white smoke (stem)
Compression gases have much higher PSI than the water pump could ever think about putting out. When running, gases can be forced through a bad head gasket, into the water jackets and over heating/pressurizing coolant.

When the car is turned off there are no gases to stop the hot, pressurized coolant from going the other way into the cylinders. At best you'd have white smoke (and sometimes a hard startup) as the coolant is boiled off....at worst the coolant fills a cylinder completely and you hydro lock the motor and break something. Take the radiator cap off (WHEN COOLANT IS COLD) and start it up...if you see bubbling in the radiator you have problems.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Banned

The car had a the new parts b4 I bought it.

Theres no codes

It has a new 18psi cap and water is getting to the overflow tank

Jeez man.....unless you are not pushing the radiator hoses all the way up till they push up against the radiator, then clamping it on tight enough.....this is a wierd issue.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BOA279
Compression gases have much higher PSI than the water pump could ever think about putting out. When running, gases can be forced through a bad head gasket, into the water jackets and over heating/pressurizing coolant.

When the car is turned off there are no gases to stop the hot, pressurized coolant from going the other way into the cylinders. At best you'd have white smoke (and sometimes a hard startup) as the coolant is boiled off....at worst the coolant fills a cylinder completely and you hydro lock the motor and break something. Take the radiator cap off (WHEN COOLANT IS COLD) and start it up...if you see bubbling in the radiator you have problems.
i understand but y isnt it being blown out the overflow and it hasnt done it driving or when i get on it, only when i let the car idel its never overheated (since iv owned it) and no smoke

im going to take it to my boys smog shop he is telling me if its a head gasket he can the smog tester will pick it up comming through the coolent
Old 11-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Banned

i understand but y isnt it being blown out the overflow and it hasnt done it driving or when i get on it, only when i let the car idel its never overheated (since iv owned it) and no smoke

im going to take it to my boys smog shop he is telling me if its a head gasket he can the smog tester will pick it up comming through the coolent
A blown head gasket will not cause your hoses to pop off.......as long as your overflow tank is filling up and the radiator cap is the proper ~18psi cap.

Your clamps must not be tight enough, thats all. Not saying you don't have a blown head gasket.....but your hoses should stay on under extremely high pressures and temps....certainly alot more than 18 psi.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

K I'm go get new t clamps tomorrow and also have my smog guy look at it will see what happens
Old 08-25-2011, 02:02 AM
Teching In

I know this thread is old but did you ever find out what was causing the hose to pop off. my ls1 would do the same thing, I changed the head gasket and everything that has to do with cooling. It still blew hose off after that. That was a year ago. Car has been parked since. The last owner did crash into a sidewalk so the front driver side tire was pushed back into the fender. Could the block have been damaged by that since k frame was pushed back too.?And I also noticed heater core is clogged. Maybe a large air pocket that expands and blows hose off? Sorry for the long reply but it would be nice to get it running.

Quick Reply: Radiator hose popping off