Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E into Chevelle Wiring Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E into Chevelle Wiring Help

Guys, I have a 4L60E that I am dropping in my 1968 Chevelle. It has the black electrical box attached to the shifter linkage. The tranny module connects to this connector and I beleive the back up light and neutral switch is amoungst some of the wiring that connects to it.

My question is how can I connect my horsehoe shifter to this linkage and do I need to keep black box? Or can I delete the box, connect the linkage to the shifter and use a device such as the GSS-2000 by dakota digital, since I am going to run thir gauges?

If I leave the box and tranny controller how would this get wired to my gauges?

Thanks
Mike

Last edited by celeryman22; 01-04-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Launching!

I think these guys have the answer, but I'm not sure what it is.

http://www.shiftworks.com/chevelle.htm
Old 01-04-2011, 08:13 PM
Teching In

I seen that and planned on using their kit with the shifter. I read that I need to run the computer module for the tranny hence the E at the end. So I hope thier kit works with this transmission.

Thanks
Mike
Old 01-04-2011, 11:27 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you putting this behind a LSx series motor? is it going to use a stand alone transmission controller or a GM PCM? Does your car still have wiring for the reverse lights? Most likely you don`t need the black box, but depending on your swap there may be benefit to keeping it.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by G-Body
Are you putting this behind a LSx series motor? is it going to use a stand alone transmission controller or a GM PCM? Does your car still have wiring for the reverse lights? Most likely you don`t need the black box, but depending on your swap there may be benefit to keeping it.
Its behind a 2004 GTO LS1 and I have the GM PCM and wiring harness for it. I'm thinking I will be keeping it.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:05 AM
Teching In

To get the car so you can drive it, any shifter you can hook up the likage to will work - hell you can pull the shifter linkage by hand to get it into gear and drive it around (I have). Once the car is in drive, the ECM will take care of shifting it for you - unless you have it deleted from the program. I'm not 100% sure if the linkage will mate to the shifter you have, but it may be as easy as checking a parts-warehouse to get linkage that will hook up to the 4L60E and the shifter you have.

I currently have a thread open here and on the Chevelle site trying to understand the TAPshift stuff that GM used on these cars to 'manually' shift them. Hopefully I can get it figured out and post a solution on how to do it.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:20 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would keep the switch then. You can eliminate the wiring on the gray connector, it just goes to the reverse lights and the dash. The white connector tells the PCM what gear the shifter is in, it can be eliminated, but it will be a more seamless install with it.

Quick Reply: 4L60E into Chevelle Wiring Help