Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Installing rear springs and shocks.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing rear springs and shocks.

How hard is it to do the rear spring and shock swap? A shop is installing the fronts (both spring and shock) for $100, however, they want $150 just for the rears. From reading some of the posts here, I was led to believe that the rear springs/shocks swap is a lot easier than the fronts. Is my assumptions right? I was thinking about doing the rears by myself and let the shop install the fronts for $100.

Just curious as to why the shop charges more for the rears than the fronts, and also wanted to confirm that swapping the rears is something that I can do by myself.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that my car is 1999 SS convertible (not sure if that makes a difference or not)

Thanks,

Sid.

Last edited by tmdz28; 01-10-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i had a shop install my both front and rear shocks due to being at my holiday house without any tools , but i can easily tell you from what i've read and seen , the rears are easier.. it took the guys almost 3 hours to do the fronts , and only an hour to do the rear.. front shock nuts a a b*tch to take off in most cases , whereas the rear has no such problems.. i think you could easily pull off a rear shock/spring swap ..
Old 01-10-2011, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

The rears are very easy. Save the money and do them yourself. There are a few write up's and a video floating around here that can help you out.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Regular

ya those quoted prices would be backwards.

The back is so easy you'd kick your own *** for not doing it yourself.
& if you were a little closer to SD I'd throw it up on my lift and help ya.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard top or convertible?

Hell, I'd do it for $100
Old 01-10-2011, 04:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tmdz28
How hard is it to do the rear spring and shock swap? A shop is installing the fronts (both spring and shock) for $100, however, they want $150 just for the rears. From reading some of the posts here, I was led to believe that the rear springs/shocks swap is a lot easier than the fronts. Is my assumptions right? I was thinking about doing the rears by myself and let the shop install the fronts for $100.

Just curious as to why the shop charges more for the rears than the fronts, and also wanted to confirm that swapping the rears is something that I can do by myself.

Thanks,

Sid.
I think you might want to find a different shop, cause the front is way more involved than the rear................ And more than $50 different as far as I'm concerned even if they just got the two ends mixed up.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by redracer1
ya those quoted prices would be backwards.

The back is so easy you'd kick your own *** for not doing it yourself.
& if you were a little closer to SD I'd throw it up on my lift and help ya.
That's what i've read that a guy recently swapped both the rears for under 1 hour. Thanks for the offer to help, I appreciate it. Like I mentioned below, the guy that I spoke to is actually aware that he's gonna take a loss but they need to bring people into their shop.

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Hard top or convertible?

Hell, I'd do it for $100
My car is a vert though, would that make a difference? I am actually very very interested to know this.

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I think you might want to find a different shop, cause the front is way more involved than the rear................ And more than $50 different as far as I'm concerned even if they just got the two ends mixed up.
that is what I am thinking, but the shop is a vendor here and has a good rep with f-bodies.

Let me call the shop and talk the guy directly.

EDIT: Well, it's been confirmed, $100 for the fronts.

Thanks!

Last edited by tmdz28; 01-10-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tmdz28
.... I was thinking about doing the rears by myself and let the shop install the fronts for $100.
That's exactly what I would do. Mine is a vert and I changed shocks and springs a few weeks ago. Front was a HUGE pain...top nut rusted on, used a sawzall to cut it off, cheap rental spring compressors to deal with...

Rears were a breeze...no rusted nuts, barely even needed the spring compressors.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:25 PM
12 Second Club

Do the rear yourself! Get a jack and some stands and a couple tools and your set. I cant believe they wanna charge you more to do the rears. Hell you can do the rear in 45minutes.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Ya take advantage of the fronts for 100 and do the rears yourself, jack car up from the frame and the springs pretty much pull out. Definitely not a 150 dollar job. Shouldnt take but an hour tops

-Will
Old 01-11-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Watch my install video and you will see you can do the install yourself. Put the $100 saved toward more mods.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...all-video.html
Old 01-11-2011, 09:01 PM
10 Second Club

I did both front and rear myself. I used info that I found here on LS1Tech. Do it youself and put the money saved elswhere. It'll be a good confidence builder too.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:13 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6 SRT-8
I did both front and rear myself. I used info that I found here on LS1Tech. Do it youself and put the money saved elswhere. It'll be a good confidence builder too.
Exactly. Theres no tellin how much money I have saved from just getting out there with pops and doing it myself. If you have time that is. Some ppl just dont have the time to work on their own cars. You will have much more appreciation towards the car. Somebody will always ask who did your work and when you can yourself it feels even better.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1RedZ
Do the rear yourself! Get a jack and some stands and a couple tools and your set. I cant believe they wanna charge you more to do the rears. Hell you can do the rear in 45minutes.
Originally Posted by dubga
That's exactly what I would do. Mine is a vert and I changed shocks and springs a few weeks ago. Front was a HUGE pain...top nut rusted on, used a sawzall to cut it off, cheap rental spring compressors to deal with...

Rears were a breeze...no rusted nuts, barely even needed the spring compressors.
That is what I am worried about, I literally dont have 4-5 hours to change the fronts at the moment, plus, $100 doesnt seem to bad for the labor involved.

Originally Posted by wfritts911
Ya take advantage of the fronts for 100 and do the rears yourself, jack car up from the frame and the springs pretty much pull out. Definitely not a 150 dollar job. Shouldnt take but an hour tops

-Will
Will do! I'll post an update on Saturday.

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Watch my install video and you will see you can do the install yourself. Put the $100 saved toward more mods.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...all-video.html
Dude, you videos are awesome!!! Thank you. I will def. refer to it when I swap my rear suspension and of course when I change my master cyl. soon!

Originally Posted by WS6 SRT-8
Originally Posted by LS1RedZ
Exactly. Theres no tellin how much money I have saved from just getting out there with pops and doing it myself. If you have time that is. Some ppl just dont have the time to work on their own cars. You will have much more appreciation towards the car. Somebody will always ask who did your work and when you can yourself it feels even better.
Yeah, I know that feeling when you work on it youself. That's what I did with my LS7 clutch swap. Still put a smile on my face everytime I remember that we did it ourselves. But, at the moment, I really dont have the time except maybe tire rotations, oil changes and 1 or 2 hours in the garage.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 01-12-2011, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

personally the vert is easier for the rear shock install.

1st fold down seat...

remove this

Remove this

slide out the rear panel here

Cut carpet here and fold back

Remove foam...

There's the top shock mount...and if you install KoniSA 4/4 it's also very easy to access the top adj

It's tight but you get the picture..

Rermove this nut at the lower mount and you just slide the shock out the bottom...reverse the steps to install but mount your new shock at the top 1st let them hang while you lower the rear diff to remove and install the springs then just bolt the lower shock up

New Koni SA's

Should look something like this: Koni SA's, Strano Springs & Sways, UMI Relo-Brackets & LCA's w/roto-joints
Old 01-17-2011, 06:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by redracer1
personally the vert is easier for the rear shock install.

1st fold down seat...

remove this

Remove this

slide out the rear panel here

Cut carpet here and fold back

Remove foam...

There's the top shock mount...and if you install KoniSA 4/4 it's also very easy to access the top adj

It's tight but you get the picture..

Rermove this nut at the lower mount and you just slide the shock out the bottom...reverse the steps to install but mount your new shock at the top 1st let them hang while you lower the rear diff to remove and install the springs then just bolt the lower shock up

New Koni SA's

Should look something like this: Koni SA's, Strano Springs & Sways, UMI Relo-Brackets & LCA's w/roto-joints

this helped me a lot! finished the install yesterday using you pics and guide, although i checked this thread a little late, i let the rear totally hanging free a few times. hope that does not damage anything.

thanks!!
Old 01-17-2011, 06:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Well, where are pics? Where are the impressions?

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-17-2011, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Well, where are pics? Where are the impressions?

i figure i want to get the alignment done first before i can post any sort of impression, and to kill two birds with one stone, i'll post pics there too.

As of right now: the front seems a little bumpy when i drive over speed bumps, the rear is very very solid, the rebound is awesome on the rear. So to be fair, i'll hold my judgment until after the alignment.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'll be waiting. The springs, aren't soft--they are 550 vs. your stock fronts of 292... That's a big difference and certainly will ride firmer, which is why I cringe when folks say "I want to lower it but have it ride like stock".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing rear springs and shocks.