Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Th400 whining when cold????

Old 01-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Th400 whining when cold????

My th400 has started whining when cold, it has been unusually cold here the last few days. It goes away once it get good and hot, the trans was just rebuilt and I have only got about 200 miles on it. Sounds like a p/s pump low on fluid. Any ideas???

This is in my m1009 blazer. I just got it running Friday after installing a escalade motor. I doubt it has 200 miles. It didn't do it until Monday I think. I noticed on the way home from work after it quited down if you romped on it hard and got the rpm's up that it would still do it. This is after about 8 miles and I let it idle for 10 minutes before I left work. Could the trans pump be making this noise? When I cranked it up and work I popped the hood and reved it a little and it is for sure coming from the trans. The trans shifts good and works perfect though.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Restricted User

If the filter has a green/blue paper (looking down the hole where the fiter goes on the pipe) get rid of it. The filter is restricted. When the fluid warms up, the noise goes away. The blue/green paper is the worst.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Vortech Converters
If the filter has a green/blue paper (looking down the hole where the fiter goes on the pipe) get rid of it. The filter is restricted. When the fluid warms up, the noise goes away. The blue/green paper is the worst.
I never pulled the pan after I got it back, I got to take it by the builders shop this week and let him adjust the mod so I will ask him about what filter he put in it. Hopefully that is all that is wrong with it!!!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jkade72
I got to take it by the builders shop this week and let him adjust the mod. Hopefully that is all that is wrong with it!!!
If it was a modulator adjustment it would shift late and firm.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
If it was a modulator adjustment it would shift late and firm.
I am aware of that, he said he likes to adjust them and to keep the warranty I will let him. Shifts good though.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:38 PM

For a performance application always use a brass screen Alison style filter. These will be the least restricted and should always be used in a performance build when pressures have been modified. Vince

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Th400 whining when cold????