Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

My review of the Duralast 3/8 Long Handle "Snap on Copy" Ratchet

Old 01-15-2011, 09:58 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thumbs up My review of the Duralast 3/8 Long Handle "Snap on Copy" Ratchet

I've got a commercial account with Autozone so I get a pretty good deal on their tools and figured I'd try the new "Snap on" style ratchet Duralast put out. It carries a lifetime warranty, and seems to be a direct copy of the Snap On. And so far, it definitely is.

I'm extremely impressed with it. I used it all day yesterday and it felt identical to my snap on ratchet. The feel, tooth count, socket retention, everything felt the exact same as my $140 Snap on ratchet. The best part, they're $24.99 retail from AZ.

FYI, I broke both ratchets down to bare bones and they're nearly identical on the inside as well.

Time will tell how it holds up to abuse, but my initial impressions of the ratchet are very good. If you're wanting a Snap on style ratchet but don't have big bucks for one, stop by AZ and check these out.

Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails My review of the Duralast 3/8 Long Handle "Snap on Copy" Ratchet-ratchet_1.jpg   My review of the Duralast 3/8 Long Handle "Snap on Copy" Ratchet-ratchet_2.jpg   My review of the Duralast 3/8 Long Handle "Snap on Copy" Ratchet-ratchet_3.jpg   My review of the Duralast 3/8 Long Handle "Snap on Copy" Ratchet-ratchet_4.jpg  
Old 01-15-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I have always thought most things Snap On were way overpriced.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:10 PM
LSX Mechanic

About 30% of their price is the name you're paying for. But there is a difference with most Snap On tools if you use your tools every day for work. The build quality is definitely apparent, and there's no need to drive anywhere to repair or replace a broken Snap on tool when the tool truck will come directly to your shop.

For the weekend warrior, Snap on definitely isn't necessary or practical. Ratchets like the Duralast or most Harbor Freight stuff is just fine for the occasional wrencher. This $24.99 Duralast ratchet is beyond impressive considering how much it costs. It feels identical to my Snap On.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Hmm It does look very close to snap on, What is the tooth count? I do like my 80 tooth snap on rachets. Keep it updated on how well it holds up.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my 80 tooth snap on ratchets as well...however if these performed close to that I'd definitely buy some for wrenching at home
Old 01-15-2011, 03:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by squints88
I love my 80 tooth snap on ratchets as well...however if these performed close to that I'd definitely buy some for wrenching at home
I agree
Old 01-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Default Joke

Your a character you call craftsmen junk but you use autozone ratchet.You cant compare snap on to autozone.Its like comparing apples to oranges.I added some pictures of what happens to your ratchet after like 2 min of use.Someone like yourself told me autozone quality is like snap on and snap on is overpriced.I was taking the body bolts off a old dodge.I put a pipe on his ratchet and grinded all the gears.One shot.Came along with my snap on no problems.,JUNK,not only that they have the worst possible gear ratio I ever seen
Attached Thumbnails My review of the Duralast 3/8 Long Handle "Snap on Copy" Ratchet-image01152011235157.jpg   My review of the Duralast 3/8 Long Handle "Snap on Copy" Ratchet-image01152011235144.jpg  
Old 01-15-2011, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damian- You didn't happen to count the teeth when you had it apart did you? I've been looking online and it seems they are a standard 36 tooth.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:51 AM
LSX Mechanic

Originally Posted by Vmineo
Your a character you call craftsmen junk but you use autozone ratchet.You cant compare snap on to autozone.Its like comparing apples to oranges.I added some pictures of what happens to your ratchet after like 2 min of use.Someone like yourself told me autozone quality is like snap on and snap on is overpriced.I was taking the body bolts off a old dodge.I put a pipe on his ratchet and grinded all the gears.One shot.Came along with my snap on no problems.,JUNK,not only that they have the worst possible gear ratio I ever seen
I never said "buy this ratchet over snap on if you're a professional using your tools everyday". It was more or less letting the occasional wrenchers know that the Duralast ratchet is a decent ratchet for light duty use. I have over $50,000 invested in tools, I don't need lectures on whats good and what isn't.

And BTW, if you "put a pipe on it and grinded all the gears off" then you misused the ratchet and broke it due to abuse. You don't put pipes on 3/8" ratchets to try and break something loose. Just sayin....

Oh, and Craftsman IS junk. Their professional series stuff is "ok" at best, but I find **** at Harbor Freight that is on par with most Craftsman stuff these days.
Damian- You didn't happen to count the teeth when you had it apart did you? I've been looking online and it seems they are a standard 36 tooth.
I broke it back down and it is a 36 tooth.

This definitely isn't my "go to" ratchet, but it's a great buy for the money spent and there's Autozone's everywhere if you have a warranty issue and need to replace one. I'm a tool collector regardless if I use them on a daily basis or not, so this is just an addition to my collection.

Last edited by Damian; 01-16-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

i dont like snap on got ripped by them. my dad gave me some snap on tools when i was in my high school auto class. all we had there were snap on tools. one day i sheared a 3/8" extension and since it sheared flat the snap on guy told me that i cut it apart. since then i have gotten craftsman. for the everyday guy it works out best bc if something brakes you take it back to sears (10 mins from my house) or if you loose it you can replace it relatively cheap. i would most get a ratchet like the one from az before i ever bought snap on again.

ps im not saying snap on tools are not good im saying that i had a bad experience with the dumbass snap on rep.....and since there isnt a snap on store it would not be feasible for me to waste all the money to get snap on tools.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I certainly understand the want for quality, but as Damian has been saying, sometimes the cheaper stuff is sufficient or makes a good accessory to the expensive stuff for some jobs. Personally, I do only small jobs on the car or around the house, so Snap-on is not for me. Craftsman may offer "junk", but I have only broken one ratchet (which I was using as a hammer) in my lifetime of using Craftsman tools. The lifetime warranty and proximity of Sears' makes Craftsman the obvious choice for me. While these Duralast ratchets look good, I'm looking for finer tooth ratchets so I'll likely move up to Craftsman Professional Grades.

Good thread!
Old 01-16-2011, 06:56 PM
LSX Mechanic

Originally Posted by mikeyc34
i dont like snap on got ripped by them. my dad gave me some snap on tools when i was in my high school auto class. all we had there were snap on tools. one day i sheared a 3/8" extension and since it sheared flat the snap on guy told me that i cut it apart. since then i have gotten craftsman. for the everyday guy it works out best bc if something brakes you take it back to sears (10 mins from my house) or if you loose it you can replace it relatively cheap. i would most get a ratchet like the one from az before i ever bought snap on again.

ps im not saying snap on tools are not good im saying that i had a bad experience with the dumbass snap on rep.....and since there isnt a snap on store it would not be feasible for me to waste all the money to get snap on tools.
That is very common and the Snap on guy didn't try to rip you off. I've broken one Snap on extension before while R&R'ing a trans. My tool man told me the same thing. Basically said that Snap on themselves will not give him credit for a new one if the old one is completely destroyed. Needless to say my extension was completely destroyed and I got a new one. Matco carries this same policy. They didn't try and rip you off, they were following protocol.

I certainly understand the want for quality, but as Damian has been saying, sometimes the cheaper stuff is sufficient or makes a good accessory to the expensive stuff for some jobs. Personally, I do only small jobs on the car or around the house, so Snap-on is not for me. Craftsman may offer "junk", but I have only broken one ratchet (which I was using as a hammer) in my lifetime of using Craftsman tools. The lifetime warranty and proximity of Sears' makes Craftsman the obvious choice for me. While these Duralast ratchets look good, I'm looking for finer tooth ratchets so I'll likely move up to Craftsman Professional Grades.

Good thread!
The absolute BEST places to shop for Craftsman are flea markets or pawn shops because you can find the old/good stuff that was all made in the USA and nearly unbreakable. I've got some 15-20 yr old Craftsman stuff that is awesome. Nowadays you have to be very selective on what you buy from Sears because half of it is cheap junk made overseas that's equal to or worse than Harbor freight stuff. Same goes with Husky. Anything ranging 10-20 yrs old from Husky is great stuff.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:44 AM
Teching In

Default Re

Originally Posted by Damian
I never said "buy this ratchet over snap on if you're a professional using your tools everyday". It was more or less letting the occasional wrenchers know that the Duralast ratchet is a decent ratchet for light duty use. I have over $50,000 invested in tools, I don't need lectures on whats good and what isn't. [/SIZE]

And BTW, if you "put a pipe on it and grinded all the gears off" then you misused the ratchet and broke it due to abuse. You don't put pipes on 3/8" ratchets to try and break something loose. Just sayin....

Oh, and Craftsman IS junk. Their professional series stuff is "ok" at best, but I find **** at Harbor Freight that is on par with most Craftsman stuff these days.

I broke it back down and it is a 36 tooth.

This definitely isn't my "go to" ratchet, but it's a great buy for the money spent and there's Autozone's everywhere if you have a warranty issue and need to replace one. I'm a tool collector regardless if I use them on a daily basis or not, so this is just an addition to my collection.
So what you went out a spent 50,000 on autozone tools ,because if you spent 50,000 and brought snap on you obviously wouldn't be playing around with a autozone ratchet.Was it necessary to say you spent 50,000 on tools,should I be impressed or something?.Your acting like your a pro on tools or something.Be a little more open minded to other things.Like in the other thread was it necessary to call the guys torque wrench junk,he goes out and spends 250$ on it and you say that.People work hard for there stuff and do not like it to be called junk.There are plenty of tool companies im sure you never even heard of that are great but Im sure since you never heard of them you would think there junk.Like CK Tools,PROTO,etc.Im open-minded to all tools and before I state my opinion I try them so I do not look ignorant

You obviously never worked on an older car.Its not like I can come along with an air impact and take the body bolt out.I heat them up and break them loose with the ratchet and a pipe.Never broke a ratchet or a body bolt(Knock on wood)

Do you know why businesses use snap on?For prestige and obviously quality.Charge a guy 10,000 to build a motor and tell him your using an autozone ratchet.People want the best and you cant beat it.Its like using those junk headstuds vs ARP.Ok save 1/2 price on the stud but Pay me 3x when it breaks to fix it.For an hobbiest or someone who doesn't work on cars all the time.Craftsmen is more than suitable,snap on is overkill for stuff like that.Snap on is designed for day in and out working..,regardless of what the OP says craftsmen is a good tool,even the newer ones..

The problem I have with the light duty autozone ratchets are the gear ratios are horrible.Who wants to turn a ratchet 80 times to loosen a bolt,not me

BTW for anyone having problem with a snap on dealer not returning tools You can send them directly to snap on and they will take it back no questions asked.I have the number for anyone intrested
Old 01-17-2011, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

You broke the ratchet because you misused it. A pipe cheater bar on a 3/8 ratchet is abuse. Grab a 1/2 breaker bar and go to it, thats what they're designed for. Saying you've done it wrong for years dont change that you're still doing it wrong

Whats this poor gear ratio mess? You turn any ratchet 1/4 turn, the socket turns 1/4 turn. Tooth counts are for how much angle you have to turn the ratchet before it clicks and you can reapply torque on the socket. Higher tooth counts offer reduced angles for tight locations at the cost of reduced maximum torque before tool failure

That being said, my favorite ratchet is a $2 advance auto special flexible spark plug stubby. 90% of the bolts I mess with are low torque. Comfortable handle, fits anywhere, high tooth count, add a few drops of oil on the gear and its as smooth as my snap-on's. Cant beat it
Old 01-17-2011, 10:01 AM
LSX Mechanic

So what you went out a spent 50,000 on autozone tools ,because if you spent 50,000 and brought snap on you obviously wouldn't be playing around with a autozone ratchet.Was it necessary to say you spent 50,000 on tools,should I be impressed or something?.Your acting like your a pro on tools or something.Be a little more open minded to other things.Like in the other thread was it necessary to call the guys torque wrench junk,he goes out and spends 250$ on it and you say that.People work hard for there stuff and do not like it to be called junk.There are plenty of tool companies im sure you never even heard of that are great but Im sure since you never heard of them you would think there junk.Like CK Tools,PROTO,etc.Im open-minded to all tools and before I state my opinion I try them so I do not look ignorant

You obviously never worked on an older car.Its not like I can come along with an air impact and take the body bolt out.I heat them up and break them loose with the ratchet and a pipe.Never broke a ratchet or a body bolt(Knock on wood)

Do you know why businesses use snap on?For prestige and obviously quality.Charge a guy 10,000 to build a motor and tell him your using an autozone ratchet.People want the best and you cant beat it.Its like using those junk headstuds vs ARP.Ok save 1/2 price on the stud but Pay me 3x when it breaks to fix it.For an hobbiest or someone who doesn't work on cars all the time.Craftsmen is more than suitable,snap on is overkill for stuff like that.Snap on is designed for day in and out working..,regardless of what the OP says craftsmen is a good tool,even the newer ones..

The problem I have with the light duty autozone ratchets are the gear ratios are horrible.Who wants to turn a ratchet 80 times to loosen a bolt,not me

BTW for anyone having problem with a snap on dealer not returning tools You can send them directly to snap on and they will take it back no questions asked.I have the number for anyone intrested
I'll make cliff note replies to your post:
-I call it like I see it. If a grown man gets his feelings hurt because I called Craftsman junk, so be it. Anything new manufactured by Craftsman is garbage, ask any professional. Matter of fact, go pick up a Craftsman TQ wrench at any Sears store. They feel like Fisher Price toys.
-I got the Duralast ratchet more so out of boredom and curiosity. Not because I think I should start buying Duralast tools.
-Yep. Got well over 50K in Snap on, Matco, Mac, etc...I'll buy a lower name tool every now and then if it interest me.
-As said above, tooth count effects how far back the ratchet has to be turned to acquire grip again to turn the bolt. The actual tightening of the bolt is the same amount of strokes, regardless of the tooth count.

Again, I think you're too busy trying to come off like a know-it-all rather than understanding the point of my post. Weekend wrenchers don't need Snap on, and shouldn't buy it. They'd be wasting their money. Ratchets like this Duralast that seem VERY well made for the $25 spent are great tools for those occasions.

Now unless you have something else positive to say about the subject in this post, stop replying in it. Thanks.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:43 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That is very common and the Snap on guy didn't try to rip you off. I've broken one Snap on extension before while R&R'ing a trans. My tool man told me the same thing. Basically said that Snap on themselves will not give him credit for a new one if the old one is completely destroyed. Needless to say my extension was completely destroyed and I got a new one. Matco carries this same policy. They didn't try and rip you off, they were following protocol.
That seems crazy to me, if I bought tools with a lifetime warranty I think they should cover it as long as it wasn`t abused. I can see if theres dings in a ratchet handle from hitting it with a hammer to break a bolt loose, but if I snap off an extension I would think that would be replaced no questions asked.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:32 AM
Teching In

Deleted, not worth arguing over tools its childish

Last edited by Vmineo; 01-18-2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by G-Body
That seems crazy to me, if I bought tools with a lifetime warranty I think they should cover it as long as it wasn`t abused. I can see if theres dings in a ratchet handle from hitting it with a hammer to break a bolt loose, but if I snap off an extension I would think that would be replaced no questions asked.
Our tools have always been replaced no questions asked, no matter what it is, extensions included.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:45 PM
Staging Lane

I'll make cliff note replies to your post:
-I call it like I see it. If a grown man gets his feelings hurt because I called Craftsman junk, so be it. Anything new manufactured by Craftsman is garbage, ask any professional. Matter of fact, go pick up a Craftsman TQ wrench at any Sears store. They feel like Fisher Price toys.
-I got the Duralast ratchet more so out of boredom and curiosity. Not because I think I should start buying Duralast tools.
-Yep. Got well over 50K in Snap on, Matco, Mac, etc...I'll buy a lower name tool every now and then if it interest me.
-As said above, tooth count effects how far back the ratchet has to be turned to acquire grip again to turn the bolt. The actual tightening of the bolt is the same amount of strokes, regardless of the tooth count.

Again, I think you're too busy trying to come off like a know-it-all rather than understanding the point of my post. Weekend wrenchers don't need Snap on, and shouldn't buy it. They'd be wasting their money. Ratchets like this Duralast that seem VERY well made for the $25 spent are great tools for those occasions.

Now unless you have something else positive to say about the subject in this post, stop replying in it. Thanks.
I wasted my money
Old 03-16-2011, 06:40 PM

Thats NOT a Duralast ratchet you have pictured. I don't know WTF it is, but its NOT Duralast.
Duralast does not make a quick release ratchet, nor a ratchet with two pawls. Nice try tho..

I hate lier's.

The REAL Duralast ratchets are really nice. They are exact copy's of the snap-on 936 ratchets. They are very strong, and reliable. ( BTW their is no such thing as a ratchet "gear ratio" it would be 1:1 like a wrench because the gear inside does not effect the ratio in witch the bolt turns.. No ratchet can remove a bolt faster then any other ratchet. Thats just dumb.)

If anyone is interested in a better then craftsman, not quite a snap-on quality tool then you should check out Duralast.

If you don't believe me then check out www.garagejournal.com/forum many die hard tool fans have tested the Duralast ratchet and all have had great success with it.

Here is REAL pictures of the guts of a duralast ratchet vs a Snap-on 936 Duralast is on the left, Snap-on is on the right.

Name:  IMG_1063.jpg
Views: 5507
Size:  92.1 KB

Last edited by Lushdrunk; 03-16-2011 at 06:50 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My review of the Duralast 3/8 Long Handle "Snap on Copy" Ratchet