Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How to tell if ball joints/tie rods are bad off the car?

Old 01-30-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How to tell if ball joints/tie rods are bad off the car?

So I'm in the middle of a shock install and want to replace any worn parts while I'm here.

My upper ball joints are still sealed with no tears in the boot, but they're very easy to move around, almost like a spherical rod end. I have no idea what they should feel like new, so I'm not sure if this makes them bad.

Same thing for my outer tie rod ends, except those boots are FUBAR. The end itself is very easy to move, but once again, I don't know if this is normal.

So should these have this much play in them, or is it time to replace them?
Old 01-30-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i would replace them all while you are at it, if you can spin them around freely they are worn pretty good. New ball joints/rod ends you should be able to move by hand but are very stiff and not easily moved
Old 01-30-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

One way to check is to lift the car up and try to shake the wheel left to right and up and down with the steering wheel locked and the wheel/tire on....if there's any movement it could mean worn parts, if not then the ends and ball joints are still holding their own....

....however, this is just a quick/general way to check, replacing them is never a bad idea, just might not be necessary
Old 01-31-2011, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
One way to check is to lift the car up and try to shake the wheel left to right and up and down with the steering wheel locked and the wheel/tire on....if there's any movement it could mean worn parts, if not then the ends and ball joints are still holding their own....

....however, this is just a quick/general way to check, replacing them is never a bad idea, just might not be necessary
Like the title says, the upper ball joint and tie rod are off the car, so there is no way to shake the wheel.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They sound done and dusted to me. Easy install, put some in while you got it apart.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
Like the title says, the upper ball joint and tie rod are off the car, so there is no way to shake the wheel.
Oh, sorry. I didn't realize they were off the car, I just figured the wheel was off the car....

....reading comprehension FTL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to tell if ball joints/tie rods are bad off the car?