Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Best aftermarket rear end for the money

Old 02-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best aftermarket rear end for the money

So I purchased an 8.8 to swap into my Z28, but now an aftermarket rear is looking like a better choice. Ive talked to Carl at CRP and also to Chris at Quick Performance. I can get the S60 or 9" with a true trac shipped under $2500. Im just wondering if their are any other options with a better price. The car will hopefully make 440whp and another 100 shot or so a couple times a year. Im not opposed to a 12 bolt since the others are heavier and I believe the 12 bolt would be sufficient.

My other question is I'm guessing my driveshaft would have to be shortened for the 9'' as well?

Id rather not buy one now if theres a way around it, bc Im planning an auto in the very near future. But Carl has great prices on the driveshafts as well. Im not chopping up my 1LE driveshaft just to buy a new one soon anyway.
Thanks for the help

Nick
Old 02-08-2011, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

It sort of depends on your preference and what you will mainly use the car for.

If and when I replace my rearend, I will go with a strange 12 bolt.
It will be much stronger and bolt right in like stock.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

S60... just ordered mine. Very efficient rear and bulletproof 9.75 ring gear.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bearcatt
It sort of depends on your preference and what you will mainly use the car for.

If and when I replace my rearend, I will go with a strange 12 bolt.
It will be much stronger and bolt right in like stock.

They all bolt in just like stock.

The op has a M6 car. 12 bolt is the last rear I would choose. All that money for a slight increase in strength and it will still be howling just like the stock pos after a few hard launches.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your not upgrading your drive shaft i hope you have a drive shaft safety loop. That drive shaft could let go at anytime especially if your upgrading your rear. **** mine broke at 80mph with my stock 10 bolt. Even with the safety loop you better hope the drive shaft don't break right in the middle like mine did. It Destroyed my adjustable torque arm, y-pipe, tail housing, and put 3 good size holes in my floor board.... sounds like fun huh?
Old 02-08-2011, 06:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Well this is easy in my mind, For the money you cant beat MWC and there base package rears, comes with is own torque arm and mount. Also if you drag race or do any hard launchs I would look away from the tru crap in a 9 inch. There is a whole thread about ppl breaking them with hard launchs and that includes myself. I would seriously look at there stuff and research. O my first 9 inch I used my stock driveshaft and u-joint but had a 1330 yoke on the 3rd member and work fine.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what auto are you going to? the t56 and 4l60e use the same one so basically what rear you go with decides the length
Old 02-08-2011, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gregrob

The op has a M6 car. 12 bolt is the last rear I would choose. All that money for a slight increase in strength and it will still be howling just like the stock pos after a few hard launches.
I don't really drag race but I don't want rear end howl from spirited street driving either. So that's a bad thing.

Originally Posted by gregrob
S60... just ordered mine. Very efficient rear and bulletproof 9.75 ring gear. .
The S60 might not be a bad idea. I would need to by a shorter drive shaft from what I understand. The other thing is the gear ratios are available - 3.54, 3.73, 4.10, 4.30, 4.56, 4.88, 5.87. I want 3.42 but might settle for 3.73.

You're probably correct a S60 might be the best bang for the buck. It's only 20 to 25 pounds heavier than a 12 bolt. Still not clear on torque arm fitment.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Launching!

midwest chasis fab9!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:02 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MavsFORMULA
So I purchased an 8.8 to swap into my Z28, but now an aftermarket rear is looking like a better choice. Ive talked to Carl at CRP and also to Chris at Quick Performance. I can get the S60 or 9" with a true trac shipped under $2500. Im just wondering if their are any other options with a better price. The car will hopefully make 440whp and another 100 shot or so a couple times a year. Im not opposed to a 12 bolt since the others are heavier and I believe the 12 bolt would be sufficient.

My other question is I'm guessing my driveshaft would have to be shortened for the 9'' as well?

Id rather not buy one now if theres a way around it, bc Im planning an auto in the very near future. But Carl has great prices on the driveshafts as well. Im not chopping up my 1LE driveshaft just to buy a new one soon anyway.
Thanks for the help

Nick
Nick, for what your usage is going to be, a Moser nine inch with a Trac-Loc should work out just fine. Here is a link to my shipped price. http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-9-I...c-Truetrac.htm I agree with the previous post, I would not use the Truetrac. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 02-09-2011, 10:49 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

For the kind of money you are talking about we can put you into a Fabricated housing and do away with all the bulky brackets these other housing require to bolt on your torque arm. Our base package starts at $2700 and comes with a torque arm and cross member of your choice. (Shipped)

There is a reason these can't ship out in just two days, because they are the hottest deals for F-body rear ends. We are direct with Strange and Moser an have crunched the numbers to get you guys the best deals possible with out limiting you to just a few options. We also do custom work if needed to these builds if requested along with offer VERY low prices on our LCA, PHB, ARB, and WATTS LINK when purchasing one of our rear ends.

The chrome-moly double adjustable torque arm is included with the package and is exclusive to this housing. Short (tunnel mounted) and long (trans crossmember mounted) versions available. Both are the same cost, the short arm crossmembers come with a driveshaft loop installed (available with dual exhaust), the long arm comes with a new trans crossmember, but no loop. We do have a tunnel form-fitting driveshaft loop available for the long arms or any other configuration. It is profiled to the floor pan and does not interfere with exhaust or ground clearance.

The base package rearend with the aluminum center section upgrade will weigh about the same as the stock 10 bolt. The nodular case is only 15 pounds heavier. Due to the design and construction, the chrome-moly adjustable torque arm is some of the lightest and strongest on the market, and weighs less than just the adapter bracket itself on a standard Moser 9". The complete rearend with the aluminum case upgrade and a spool would actually be lighter than the stock 10 bolt.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:07 AM
Staging Lane

+ 1 for the MWC
Old 02-15-2011, 09:00 AM
9 Second Club

+1 more for MWC!
Old 02-15-2011, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

+2 for MWC rearend. And plus ALOT more for the customer service they provide. It isnt always just $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. The knowledge database they have in designing, testing, and building their own product is hands down the best in the business. And to have the price competitive if not better than any others on the market is a added bonus. These rearends are under alot of street cars, not only race cars, that see alot of daily abuse in the elements, not just trailered to the race track, and rip off a few passes.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

OP- where are you located? Is the 8.8 you already have fabbed to fit into an F-body?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best aftermarket rear end for the money