Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does a collapsed lifter or lifter going bad sound like?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What does a collapsed lifter or lifter going bad sound like?

If a lifter collapses, what does the motor sound like? (kinda like when i first did my cam and the startup waiting for them to prime?)

Also, what does it sound like before it's dead, but on it's way out?
Old 04-11-2004, 10:52 AM
wrencher

It does sound like it did with no pressure.
Also a tick that comes & goes.
If it's a gone it'll make noise consistantly.
Have you checked oil pressure, not an oil pump O-ring is it?
Old 04-11-2004, 05:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think I have a bad one too. Haven't taken it apart though. Sounds like the the normal LS1 tap after a cam but it gets much louder when you give it gas.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hrm, I just have a tick, maybe leaking exhaust but not sure, what can I do to check?
Old 04-11-2004, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

well ive got my engine apart right now, theres nothing i can do to check my lifters to see if they are bad is there? I have a tick thats comes out of the drivers side every once in awhile, i still have good oil pressure. But, I wish there was something I could do to check my lifters to see if any of them are dead. thanks
Old 04-12-2004, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

anyone?
Old 04-12-2004, 11:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bad lifter will tick and increase the ticks as you increase at RPMs, even when the oil is warm. So, it'll tick at all times, all RPMs.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hrm, that does not make me feel so good

So the ticking will increase the amount of ticks as the rpm's rise or will it remain steady? I have a tick, from the drivers side, sounds more like from the top, I checked the header bolts and they are snug, and let me guess, the only real way to find out is pull the head right? :\ If I rev the car it seems to go away, who knows, it may be drown out by the sound?
Oil pressure seems to be good, but I am close to my 3k mile change, so it may just need a change.
Welp, worst case here, let's say it IS in fact a lifter, should i replace it with stock or what can I upgrade to?
-Steve
Old 04-12-2004, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Bad lifter will usually increase the ticks with increasing RPMs. You'll hear it with increasing revs if it's bad, it'll tick even louder and quicker.

Only way to check a lifter is to pull the head. The lifters are under the heads. There is no other way to gain access to them.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cannibal, how do you check a lifter once you get it out? Ive got all mine layed out on my table in the order they came out. How do I check to make sure they are all OK. Before I tore my engine apart, I had a little tick that cam from the driver's side that Im pretty sure was valvetrain. thanks
Old 04-12-2004, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hrm, it doesn't get louder on my car when I rev it, that makes me think it's an injector or maybe a bent pushrod? but i find that hard to belive since they are hardened...??
Thanks for the help, I will see what I can do, I knew where they were, I was just wondering if I could listen somewhere to truely know before I pull the head.
Old 10-03-2004, 03:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

What did you find on this? I seem to have the same symptoms.. I'm about ready to buy new lifters, head bolts, gaskets, etc...
Old 10-04-2004, 12:26 PM
Teching In

The ticking sound you hear is not the lifter itself. It is the valve slamming closed, missing the closing ramp and smacking the seat. Very common misconception that makes me bite my tongue everytime I hear someone call it a ticking lifter. A ticking sound at idle and then progressively quieter with increased engine speed is a "spongy" lifter/lash adjuster. This is result of trapped air in the lifter or fast leak down time. A collapsed lifter means the leakdown plunger inside the lifter is stuck down and the lifter is not functioning at all. This condition will cause very loud tick at idle to that increases with rpm.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:12 AM
TECH Regular

Has anybody just replaced the lifters only & had the car run fine after that? I only drove my car maybe 3-5miles after work when it was ticking, I found a few little metal shavings after I did my oil change, a friend of mines removed the valve covers & in 10-15mins into the heads it ended up being a collapsed lifter.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Launching!

You can stick your lifters one at a time in a metal soup can filled halfway with clean new oil and take a punch or screwdriver and push down on the plunger with the lifter submerged and see if the lifter will pump up. It will take quite a few pump strokes to get it pumped up. Probably around 10.

Quick Reply: What does a collapsed lifter or lifter going bad sound like?