Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Applying Synthetic "wax" on top of Carnuba paste wax?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Applying Synthetic "wax" on top of Carnuba paste wax?

I know you can put carnuba paste wax on top of a petroleum based synthetic paint sealer.
But can you go back to synthetic after using to carnuba paste wax? Or, will the paste wax interfere with the paint sealer bonding to the finish?

Thanks

fwiw, I have used paint sealer exclusively for 8 yrs, since I drove it off the lot. The dealer applied the first coat to the virgin factory finish (it was a one time offer, and they would not do if I took the car home, in case I applied something else in the meantime). Last year, I finally ran out of the MaxxGard sealer/polish and switched to Carnuba paste. Now I just bought some synthetic petroleum based sealer/"wax" again and plan to switch back...
Old 03-05-2011, 10:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, the carnuba will interfere with the bonding of the sealant. It won't hurt anything, just won't get as long of a life out of it. If you're worried about it use a good paint cleaner or polish which will remove everything and you can start with a clean slate. Any type of cleaner wax or sealant will prep the surface enough. Back in the day with the Zaino crazies (I have 3 bottles of Zaino in my cabinet btw), they said Dawn dishwashing detergent would remove wax. Not sure if that's still the case though.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:57 AM
TECH Addict

dawn will remove anything and everything. any dish soap will.

as far as layering, people right from meguiars told me you can put a polymer sealant over a carnuba wax. the wax will make it shine, and the sealant will 'seal' it more, and make it last longer.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Yes, the carnuba will interfere with the bonding of the sealant
Yes, that's kind of what I was thinking. Thanks guys. I'll just go ahead and use the dishsoap method to get the carnuba paste wax off. I've been real happy with the Maxxgard paint sealer that's I've used for 8 years. The finish looks spectacular, like clear coat. Always passes the so called "fingernail test" that I just read in another thread. I wouldn't dare take clay to it, it's so nice.
Anyway, I'll carry on with the Maguiares synthetic petroleum based sealer/polish, not Carnuba.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't put sealant on top of wax. It won't bond.

You can wax on top of a sealant, AFTER the sealant cures. Waxes usually have solvents in them that will weaken the sealant if proper cure time has not elapsed. Typically 8-24 hrs.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
You can't put sealant on top of wax. It won't bond.

You can wax on top of a sealant, AFTER the sealant cures. Waxes usually have solvents in them that will weaken the sealant if proper cure time has not elapsed. Typically 8-24 hrs.
Yes, that was my thought as well. As I wrote, I've been using sealant for 8 years since I drove it new off the lot. I ran out of the original Maxxgard this past year, and switched to carnuba.
I'm now switching back to Mothers Synwax. (not maguires as I mis-stated above). There's 8 years of "cure time" on the sealant underneath. :-)
Old 03-06-2011, 06:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Paul 1953
Yes, that was my thought as well. As I wrote, I've been using sealant for 8 years since I drove it new off the lot. I ran out of the original Maxxgard this past year, and switched to carnuba.
I'm now switching back to Mothers Synwax. (not maguires as I mis-stated above). There's 8 years of "cure time" on the sealant underneath. :-)
When was the last time it was applied? Not that I think it needs to cure...just don't believe in those old style "sealers".
Old 03-06-2011, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
When was the last time it was applied? Not that I think it needs to cure...just don't believe in those old style "sealers".
The original Maxxgard sealer application was by the dealer when the car was new ('02). He gave me extra sealant to continue to apply. I finally ran out about 6 months ago. Now it just has about 2 coats of carnuba paste wax since then.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Most of that stuff is pure gimmick. Glad to see you switching to a real product. But be aware that most carauba waxes (especially store bought) last 4-6 weeks.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've used Synwax before with good results, seems to be an underrated product. Of course, I'm not a professional either. Zaino or Duragloss goes on the truck that sits outside 24/7, a good carnuba goes on the Z that's inside.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Most of that stuff is pure gimmick.
I know..., everyone by default thinks "gimmick", because the dealer "overcharged" me for it.
1) I had the cash at the time.
2) The gimmick has given me a glass like shine for 8 1/2 years. I'm VERY happy.

Because it was a sealant, I want to stay with what I know rather than switch to carnuba.
but thanks guys for your input. I'm sure with a good soapy wash and a few coats of Synwax, the carnuba will be gone, and I'll be back to sealant bonding to the finish.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Paul 1953
I know..., everyone by default thinks "gimmick", because the dealer "overcharged" me for it.
1) I had the cash at the time.
2) The gimmick has given me a glass like shine for 8 1/2 years. I'm VERY happy.

Because it was a sealant, I want to stay with what I know rather than switch to carnuba.
but thanks guys for your input. I'm sure with a good soapy wash and a few coats of Synwax, the carnuba will be gone, and I'll be back to sealant bonding to the finish.
Well since I have real experience with those products, from the consumer end, dealer application end, and witnessing on a regular basis the shady salement tactics of selling them, I know most of them are a gimmick. The professional detail community laughs at that stuff. I personally hate how they lie (dealers) that it protects for 5 years and against acid rain and bird droppings and waterspots. Its simply not true.

Now will that sealant last up to 6 months? In some cases, yes. Will it bring world peace WITH a warranty like the lies-men errrr....salesmen promise? NO.

Mothers Synwax is not a true sealant and doesn't have great durability. If you want great durability, strip the wax you got on there (Dawn wash, then claybar) then apply a real sealant. Blackfire Wet Diamond, and Zaino are my favorits. The BFWD will last 3-4 months, the Zaino can last 6 months easily. They are two of the best products out there and a staple in the arsenal of TRUE professionals.

Quick Reply: Applying Synthetic "wax" on top of Carnuba paste wax?