Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

firewall grommets for ecm harness pass thru

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default firewall grommets for ecm harness pass thru

For the guys that have their ecm's mounted inside the car/truck. What grommets are you using to fill the void? It needs to be large enough that the connectors can pass thru but needs to be sealed so the tracks dont give ya **** for being able to see light through it.

thanks
Old 03-16-2011, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Grommet

Summit sells a nifty one that comes in several different sizes and one of them is perfect for what you are trying to do, grommets is actually 2 pieces that seal and protect the wiring very well, I don't have the part number but just go to the summit website and put in " seals it grommet" or I know the brand name is "Seals It" for the keyword search, GL

Last edited by lizeec; 03-16-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

2" hole in the firewall. 3/8 fuel line split longways as an insulator. Hole is under the HVAC box so no grief is given because it's hard to see

Old 03-17-2011, 06:45 AM
Launching!

Summit sells some split grommets made by a company called Seals-It. They are the cats *** as far as I am concerned. I have a few of them on my car for various reasons and I love them. They are not cheap, anywhere from $15-$30 each for different options. I think they are a great product, check them out.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

^^^^This is what I have used also, they work and look great!
Old 03-17-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would suggest using amp connectors. They seal really well and make it easy to pull the harness if you need to!

Old 03-17-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TTLS1GP
I would suggest using amp connectors. They seal really well and make it easy to pull the harness if you need to!

We use these at work on drilling rigs, however at the size I need with the number of pin connections, it becomes a rather long unit when spun together(connected)

Does anyone know what the total outside diameter on these are? I assume just the center size changes for the different sizes, sooo Anyone that has this, could you grab a measurement for me?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SIT-SGS3-5-875/
Old 03-17-2011, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Neeeevver mind, went to their site. 3" OD on the split ring grommet
Old 03-18-2011, 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could always take the wires out of the PCM connector, run each wire through the hole one by one, and then reconnect them back into the connector on the other side of the firewall.

At first it might sound like a huge PITA, but it's really not that bad. Once you get the hang of taking the pins out of the connector, the work will go quickly. I would also go to home depot and buy a couple sheets of the wire number stickers to keep track of the wires. Or you could scrounge up an extra set of PCM connectors, and plug the wire into the new connector as soon as you take it out of the old one.

Your finished product will be great. You'll have a hole that's no bigger than it needs to be, and well protected by a grommet. I did this with my DBW pedal harness and another 10-pin harness and would do it again in a second.

Quick Reply: firewall grommets for ecm harness pass thru