Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Painting Rotor Hats

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Painting Rotor Hats

What is the best way to go about them? They are brand new. I have black wheels and I think the hats would look much better if they were black as well.

What is the best spray paint finish? Flat/Semi-Gloss/Gloss? I cannot decide.

Also, whats the best way to tape this off to get a perfect circular paint line? I imagine this is going to be the most time consuming and frustrating part of this job.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tmc2k1
What is the best way to go about them? They are brand new. I have black wheels and I think the hats would look much better if they were black as well.

What is the best spray paint finish? Flat/Semi-Gloss/Gloss? I cannot decide.

Also, whats the best way to tape this off to get a perfect circular paint line? I imagine this is going to be the most time consuming and frustrating part of this job.

Thanks guys!
I'm planning on painting mine tomorrow and a guy on a Corvette forum said you can measure the diameter of the rotor, use a compass to draw a line around a paper plate, and cut the paper plate. Then put some blue painter's tape on the paper plate and paint the rotor hat, and re-use the same paper plate for all the rotors or cut 4 individual ones. Many also say that it is not a big deal if some paint gets on the part of the rotor where the brake pads contact it in the long-term, although the brakes may not work as well for a little bit until the paint is worn off the rotor and scrubbed off the pad.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NeoLoco
I'm planning on painting mine tomorrow and a guy on a Corvette forum said you can measure the diameter of the rotor, use a compass to draw a line around a paper plate, and cut the paper plate. Then put some blue painter's tape on the paper plate and paint the rotor hat, and re-use the same paper plate for all the rotors or cut 4 individual ones. Many also say that it is not a big deal if some paint gets on the part of the rotor where the brake pads contact it in the long-term, although the brakes may not work as well for a little bit until the paint is worn off the rotor and scrubbed off the pad.
That's a pretty good idea! Thanks!

Also, what kind of spray paint do you plan on using? Flat/Semi-gloss/Gloss?
Old 03-19-2011, 12:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just used blue tape. some primer,gloss black paint and clear. i think the brand was krylon.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:08 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used High Temp engine paint on mine
Old 03-19-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

I just used the brush on caliper paint and it holds up great.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bigj2717
I just used the brush on caliper paint and it holds up great.
Thats what i did yesterday, 500 degree brush on caliper paint, took me about 2 hours for 3 coats on each caliper.
I left them on the rotor and didnt get paint anywhere on it
Old 03-19-2011, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

I'm trying high-temp BBQ grill paint from the Home Depot, its cheaper than caliper paint and resists grease!
Old 03-19-2011, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

To those who used brush on caliper paint:

Did the brush on method leave any brush marks in the finish?
Old 03-20-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just used black high temp engine paint. It's been holding up for about a year now without issue. You dont need to waste your time making a perfect cirlce where the pad contacts-just make the best circle you can with painter's tape and the pad will take off anything that's out too far
Old 03-20-2011, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

No the brush on kit doesn't leave brush marks. It looks like it does while painting but it drys smooth
Old 03-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

Applying the brakes a couple times will remove any paint in the contact area. It's the same as buying new rotors that are coated. Whatever coating is in the contact area will be removed when the brakes are applied.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sleepy_z
Applying the brakes a couple times will remove any paint in the contact area. It's the same as buying new rotors that are coated. Whatever coating is in the contact area will be removed when the brakes are applied.
THIS!

Just mask off any part you dont want over spray on and paint them on car. I just did that with mine after years of doing the brush on duplicolor..... and I'll NEVER go back!

This so much easier and it basically cleans itself up. Also, the Krylon red I used was WAY brighter than the dull duplicolor. The Krylon also hasn't flaked or chipped in the 3 months it's been on. My car is a DD and and the calipers and rotor hats have about 2.5k miles on them.

BUt.... here are some pics of the last mask job i did. Its just overkill and a waste of tape.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if black ive had great success with epoxy paint for appliances at Home depot, good heat resistance and great chipping resistance...
Old 03-20-2011, 11:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sommer86@6LE
THIS!

Just mask off any part you dont want over spray on and paint them on car. I just did that with mine after years of doing the brush on duplicolor..... and I'll NEVER go back!

This so much easier and it basically cleans itself up. Also, the Krylon red I used was WAY brighter than the dull duplicolor. The Krylon also hasn't flaked or chipped in the 3 months it's been on. My car is a DD and and the calipers and rotor hats have about 2.5k miles on them.

BUt.... here are some pics of the last mask job i did. Its just overkill and a waste of tape.

Why didn't you tape off the rotor vanes? I just need to be sure I tape off EVERYTHING. It would suck to get the paint on something I don't want it to get on.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

i've always painted the entire rotor, no masking. it looks great on drilled/slotted rotors. the brake pad does a great job of cleanup, just make sure you don't go straight out on the highway on first braking. it's pretty nasty until the pads get it cleaned off. btw, i've always used a silver base coat paint from duplicolor, no clear. just my opinion. one time i had to take the pads back off and clean them out because of the paint buildup, i might have sprayed a little heavy that time. mine have stayed nice for a couple of years, but time for a re-touch this year.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

they look good..i did the same thing
Old 03-21-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Regular

gray VHT hi-temp paint.

need to pull the front rotors and paint those next. the rears look awesome with my black zr1s.

Quick Reply: Painting Rotor Hats