Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

67 Camaro - Dad and Son build

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 67 Camaro - Dad and Son build

Well Ill give a bit of history on the car and will try to update as we go, have problems, questions ect. The car was a plane jane 1967 camaro that has been in my family since 1969. My grandfather worked for GM his whole life and in 1967 when the camaro came out a manager at where my grandfather worked got a 1967 camaro in butternutt yellow with a 327, powerglide and not to many options. Well in 1969 when the body was revised that manager wanted to get a 1969 camaro. So his 1967 was then put up for auction and my grandfather having 6 kids all around the driving age put a bid in of $200 for the car. Well as the story has it he won the car. My dad tells me stories of when my grandfather brought the car home and he wanted the car. The car was then passes along the girls (my aunts) up untill 1991 where it was then parked. My dad always told himself that one day he would have the car. Around 2000 me and my dad went and picked the car up from my aunts house. We picked at the car little by little not really knowing where to start. Up untill now.

I have been doing alot of research and I think/hope these are going to be the final plans for the car. I will be getting pictures up the next time I am at the car. We plan on holding off on the body as it pretty much needs everything at this point and we have decided for this summer to try to tackle the mechanical stuff and make the car a great driver first. Please if you have some opinions/comments share. Input is always a good thing. The goal for the car is going to basically be a great cruiser with a couple of dragstrip trips in store and mabye road/auto course later down the road. We want to be able to run at least mid-low 11's with the car. Around 550-600 wheel. With that in mind..here is the current list..and the current wish list for the car.

Current:

LSX 454 GMPP crate motor
C6 Front Accesory drive
Mast Motorsport Oil pan
S&P Motor adapters
Energy Suspension motor mounts
Energy Suspension Poly Kit
Speed tech solid aluminum body mounts
Custom subframe connectors
QA1 front coil-overs
Corbeau CR1 Front seats
Cragar S/S- 17 x 8 w/245 tire (front) 17 x 9 w/ 275 tire (rear)
Wilwood 12.1 drilled/slotted -6 piston(front) 4 piston(rear)
Ricks Stainless Tank (efi)
Moser 12 bolt ( 35 spline, wavetrac, 3.73)
prodigy 4 link w/ QA1 coil-overs
DSE mini tub
6 point custom cage
Anvil Carbon fiber (cowl panel, header panel, front spoiler, hood, trunk)

Wish list:

T56 Magnum 6-speed kit
Anvil Carbon fiber (rear spoiler)
Stainless brake lines
Weld draglite wheels w/ MT slicks (track duty)

Stuff for sale:

Rs fenders(original)
Cowl panel (original)
Doors (original)
Trunk lid w/ spoiler holes (original)

Last edited by boostin05blacksti; 04-22-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

So the following has been order.:
Moser 12 bolt rear 3.73 gear 35 spline wavetrack diff.
Wilwood full brake set up. 6 piston up front and 4 piston in the rear 12.1 drilled/slotted rotors all around.
Ricks stainless steel tank set up for efi.

Big thanks to frank over at prodigy customs..next up is the t56 magnum and the lsx 454 soon after that...its going to be an awsome summer and I have been waiting and dreaming of doing this with me father for the last 10 years...

Heres an update from last week..we have takin apart almost the whole car and are waiting till next winter or summer to tackle the body. Its just to much money to put out at once...we basically need everything body wise so we decided to just get the car in perfect working order first and then worry about how it looks. With that being said the whole car is basically stripped and ready for some new parts. Here is where we are at now.

Ready for the pull, bye bye old 327 and powerglide...
Name:  97b08446.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  62.1 KB

Out and conquered...haha
Name:  e3384048.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  56.1 KB

Also heres my other car that ive had since highschool thanks to my dads help...its my daily also..
Name:  043.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  140.6 KB

Name:  007-1.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  181.1 KB

and having alittle fun
Name:  ee2cbf44.jpg
Size:  48.1 KB

and another project I have going on..this will be my daily once its done..
Name:  b8a05815.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  83.6 KB
Name:  f5198759.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  50.8 KB
Name:  bff18794.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  86.8 KB

and one of the car I finished (old dd) and sold for a ring for my fiancee
Name:  820b4fad.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  94.6 KB
Name:  mk2vr.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  44.9 KB

I guess you can say I like cars....the camaro was and always will be my first love though...
Old 06-09-2010, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

Heres where the car is at right now..
Name:  IMG_0008.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  131.1 KB

old frame..
Name:  IMG_0007.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  181.4 KB

and new.
Name:  IMG_0012.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  204.7 KB

and compairson.
Name:  IMG_0010.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  189.6 KB
Old 06-09-2010, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

Alright guys..need some help here...EFI or Carb? Heres the motor Im going with:
Name:  lsx454.gif
Views: 373
Size:  79.2 KB

I have questions for both. I have done research on both and from what I have gathered EFI seems to be more expensive for this motor because I basically need everything..enlighten me please..

EFI:
All wiring
ECU
Tune
All Accessories
Injectors
Intake Manifold
Ignition Coils
Throttle body
Oil Pan
Oil pump pick up
Headers

Carb:
Carb (What size, Manufacturer?)
Ignition (MSD 6010 or 19171130 off of www.crateenginedepot.com ?)
Intake Manifold (19244033 off of www.crateenginedepot.com or Edelbrock?)
All Accessories (Which kit will fit the stock subframe and go it with out any/too much modification?
19243525 off of www.crateenginedepot.com
19155066 off of www.crateenginedepot.com
19155067 off of www.crateenginedepot.com
Oil Pan (19212593 off of www.crateenginedepot.com) fit stock subframe?
Oil pump pick up
Headers

Ive tried to see what others have done with this motor but because it is new not many have run it that I can find..I believe it is the same set up as a ls7 correct..? I dont want to just rule out EFI untill I know it is not suited for me. The car will be a nice cruiser with some drag strip trips in store. I feel like I might be leaning to carb set up because it seems to be easier and I just want to really weight both options fully. Help me guys. Thanks Steven
Old 06-09-2010, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Well stuff is starting to come in..its wilwood heaven..here is some quick pictures..

emmm...6 piston..
Name:  7faf7aea.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  66.1 KB

theres the old man holding some two piece goodness..
Name:  67ad206e.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  56.4 KB

Name:  7e61b5f0.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  58.0 KB

hopefully well see the rear soon.. Big Thanks To Frank and all the prodigy customs guys...A+++ service..
Old 06-09-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Great build. You have a cool dad and seem to have a great relationship. Good for you.

My vote is EFI if it's going to be a cruiser. It's just more consistent and gets better mileage (if that is a concern). The carb will be cheaper and easier to setup most likely though.

You should be able to find the harness/computer/sensors/intake/fuel rails/inj, etc in the classifieds, ebay, salvage yards for a good deal.

Best of luck!
Old 06-09-2010, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

great projects... best of luck with the camaro looks like it will be a mean machine
Old 06-09-2010, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

Nice project...

Carb will be an easier choice... but I preffer EFI....
Old 06-09-2010, 10:36 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For PCM and harness I'd recommend Speartech. I believe they're a sponsor here too. John has done numerous custom harnesses for us and he can setup the harness PCM for your specific combo and his work is top notch!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 06-09-2010, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
For PCM and harness I'd recommend Speartech. I believe they're a sponsor here too. John has done numerous custom harnesses for us and he can setup the harness PCM for your specific combo and his work is top notch!
Thanks guys.. Im really leaning for EFI as of right now..I have already emailed speartech and am waiting for a response. Ive herd nothing but good things about them and am looking forward to working with them. Hoefully they can provide us with what we need to get this thing the way we want it..
Old 06-09-2010, 01:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow - you made some nice choices on brakes, suspension and drivetrain. Here is a picture of my Ricks Tank that I just got for my LS conversion in my '69 Nova:
Name:  DSC_0228.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  73.9 KB

You should certainly go fuel injected unless you just have to have the old school look. I think mine will still be fairly retro with the Victor Jr intake and 4150 throttle body. Mind you, it will eventually have a couple turbos blowing into that throttle body.. I am using a stock ECM and I modified a Corvette wiring harness. Fuel injection can be fairly affordable these days using the excellent LS1 donor parts.
Name:  DSC_0143.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  113.6 KB

Good luck with getting all those cool parts bolted on. Sounds like a killer build in the works. Have fun working together with your Dad too. My son and I are painting up a Z71 for his first vehicle. He turns 16 tomorrow.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chevy406
Wow - you made some nice choices on brakes, suspension and drivetrain. Here is a picture of my Ricks Tank that I just got for my LS conversion in my '69 Nova:

You should certainly go fuel injected unless you just have to have the old school look. I think mine will still be fairly retro with the Victor Jr intake and 4150 throttle body. Mind you, it will eventually have a couple turbos blowing into that throttle body.. I am using a stock ECM and I modified a Corvette wiring harness. Fuel injection can be fairly affordable these days using the excellent LS1 donor parts.

Good luck with getting all those cool parts bolted on. Sounds like a killer build in the works. Have fun working together with your Dad too. My son and I are painting up a Z71 for his first vehicle. He turns 16 tomorrow.
Thanks, seems like you have a pretty nice build going on yourself..can you lead me to some info on the 4150 throttle body as I dont know much about it. Still learning. Your ricks tank looks great can wait to get mine.. I am almost possative we are going to go fuel injected..its just alot more money..well see. Thanks for the comments/advise, Steven
Old 06-10-2010, 10:07 AM
9 Second Club

Many people have given the Victor Jr with 4150 style throttle body credit for better air distribution as compared to a front mounted TB such as the stock GM or FAST. I also like it in a muscle car conversion for the more retro look.
Name:  DSC_0200.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  106.4 KB

There are several vendors to choose from such as Accufab, FAST, Wilson, Holley, and Edlebrock.
Since you are starting from scratch, this would be the best time to go with fuel injection. The fuel deliverery can be one of the more expensive parts, but you have already budgeted an aftermarket tank so that won't be any more money FI vs carb. The 4150 throttle body plus fuel injectors will cost roughly the same as a real nice carb. So then your real expense will be the ECM and harness. While an aftermarket FAST or BS3 will provide more options and is maybe easier to learn, I would highly recommend a stock ECM and modified harness. You can pick the stock parts up from classifieds and keep it pretty cheap if you modify the harness yourself. I also am learning HP Tuners on my daily driver Corvette, but will have a lot more to learn when I throw boost on my Nova.
Best advice I have is to not push yourself with a time line. Take time to research, do as much yourself as you are comfortable with, and keep it fun. Forums are a great resource as well as help keep the project on track and fresh. Look forward to more parts pictures and progress.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

hmm...so the set up that you are showing me will run better and make more power than say a FAST 102mm intake with front throttle body..thats what I was looking at..Thanks Steven
Old 06-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Staging Troll

nice projects..whats done to the subby? looks real clean
Old 06-11-2010, 08:00 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by boostin05blacksti
hmm...so the set up that you are showing me will run better and make more power than say a FAST 102mm intake with front throttle body..thats what I was looking at..Thanks Steven
I can't speak with any authority on the potential differences in power between a FAST 102 and a Victor Jr. Obviously if you are going carb you will need the Victor. To be honest, I think in your case it should just be personal preference on what look you are going after. Either will work well, and nothing can take away from the fact you have a wicked 454 LSX under the hood.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blkjck
nice projects..whats done to the subby? looks real clean
Hmmm..where to start..a quick off the top run down..

Full Invidia exhaust (no cats)
Cobb accesport V.2
Turbo xs FMIC
Turbo xs intake
Turbo xs up pipe w/ tial 44mm wastegate
HKS SSQV Bov
Tune (330 awhp, 315 awtq) 20lbs, 93 oct.
Hallman manual boost controller
Bc racing coilovers
Hawk Pads all around
05 Black wrx interior
05 Rs hood
05 Rs trunk
Auto meter Ultralite II- ( Boost, oil temp, water temp)
AEM wideband
Prodrive pff7 Gold 18x8

Thats off the top of my head..there is probley more..Thank you I try to keep her as clean as possible.

Originally Posted by Chevy406
I can't speak with any authority on the potential differences in power between a FAST 102 and a Victor Jr. Obviously if you are going carb you will need the Victor. To be honest, I think in your case it should just be personal preference on what look you are going after. Either will work well, and nothing can take away from the fact you have a wicked 454 LSX under the hood.
Well is your set up carb though..? it still fuel injected no..? the "carb part acts like a throttle body. Thats it no..? Im confussed....to many options..
Old 06-11-2010, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Alright so I went to the old mans house last night and started putting the brake kit together. Still need to strip the old drum hubs and get them all ready but that will probley be tonight or this weekend..hope to have the brakes pretty wraped up by monday.. heres some pictures..and btw safety wiring is not fun...

Heres me and my younger brother trying to figure it all out..
Name:  IMG_00013.jpg
Size:  82.2 KB

Me messing around..
Name:  IMG_00023.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  57.2 KB

Slowly getting there..
Name:  IMG_00053.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  68.7 KB

and we brought the wheels out for test fitting..
Name:  IMG_00162.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  60.3 KB

front and back...
Name:  IMG_00172.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  71.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0018.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  38.7 KB

more updates coming soon..
Old 06-11-2010, 09:23 AM
TECH Regular

very cool project ... and something you'll have forever im sure
Old 06-11-2010, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Transamman25
very cool project ... and something you'll have forever im sure
Thanks man...yea thats one thing that will go to the grave with me..

Quick Reply: 67 Camaro - Dad and Son build