Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

any way to reverse or stop dry rotting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 02:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default any way to reverse or stop dry rotting?

my DD mustang has a set of tires on it from 2007 and they have a lot of tread left. I believe when my dad bought the car last spring he was told they were "new". while they do appear to have very low mileage, i think the car sat on the lot for a year or 2 maybe which is why the tires are starting to dry rot but yet have lots of tread left. Is there a way to keep them from dry rotting/cracking any further? they aren't terrible but i don't know if the tires will outlast the tread.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure about the dry rotting.

But you can check the DOT number on the sidewall of the tires, it's a series of numbers in 3 or 4 oval shaped "bubbles" on the sidewall-the last two digits in the last "bubble" should be the year the tire was manufactured. It's only on one of the two sidewalls many times, so you may have to check multiple tires to find one with the DOT# on the outside wall. I always check that when I'm looking at a car that I or a friend in purchasing...it's kind of like a VIN number for your tires.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Not sure about the dry rotting.

But you can check the DOT number on the sidewall of the tires, it's a series of numbers in 3 or 4 oval shaped "bubbles" on the sidewall-the last two digits in the last "bubble" should be the year the tire was manufactured. It's only on one of the two sidewalls many times, so you may have to check multiple tires to find one with the DOT# on the outside wall. I always check that when I'm looking at a car that I or a friend in purchasing...it's kind of like a VIN number for your tires.
i asked a guy at the shop today who changed the oil and rotated the tires and he looked at them and said they were made in 2007
Old 05-03-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just off the top of my head... but I know theres a spray silicone you can buy specifically for weatherstripping - to 'renew' it and make it soft and hold a seal better. I would think a product similar to that would work for your situation
Old 05-03-2011, 06:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea. buy new tires. use good quality tire dressing with uv protection to slow down dry rot.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think there's any way to reverse dry rot, because I don't know what would fuse rubber back together..but obviously tire shine would keep the sidewalls moist and try not to let them sit with weight on them for long periods of time.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Junkie

they were supposed to rotate the tires today but i just noticed the sticker on the left rear tire in that pic.... it's still on the same place now, ugh.

try not to have them sit with weight on them? uh, like the weight of the car? i don't plan on removing them just to keep weight off of them
Old 05-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry....but there is nothing you can do for the dry rot. Its from the car sitting for a long period of time in the sun..... Usually happens quicker when sitting on gravel/grass or dirt.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
they were supposed to rotate the tires today but i just noticed the sticker on the left rear tire in that pic.... it's still on the same place now, ugh.

try not to have them sit with weight on them? uh, like the weight of the car? i don't plan on removing them just to keep weight off of them
Yeah........you know.....like most people jack their car up and put it on stands for the winter or when it's going to be stored for a long period of time...I pull my CCWs off when I'm not driving the car.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Camaro396
Yeah........you know.....like most people jack their car up and put it on stands for the winter or when it's going to be stored for a long period of time...I pull my CCWs off when I'm not driving the car.
umm, this is my daily driver V6 mustang 'vert. I didn't even jack up the trans am for the winter (when i was up north)
Old 05-03-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

burnouts
Old 05-03-2011, 09:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
umm, this is my daily driver V6 mustang 'vert. I didn't even jack up the trans am for the winter (when i was up north)
Well you're doing something wrong. My 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee has the stock 07 tires on it still and there's not one bit of dry rot, cracking, or anything. Still look brand new. Good luck in your search to reverse your problem
Old 05-04-2011, 10:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro396
Well you're doing something wrong. My 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee has the stock 07 tires on it still and there's not one bit of dry rot, cracking, or anything. Still look brand new. Good luck in your search to reverse your problem
but you're from Ohio, he's from "somewhere that doesn't get snow" so chances are his cars sit in the sun all day everyday. Also, sitting outside compared to inside makes a big difference (if you garage yours). But yea tires from 07 are pretty new still, if the dry rot isn't terrible then don't worry, you can keep driving on them. If the cracks are pretty bad though you should look into some new ones...
Old 05-04-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Junkie

actually, while i'm in florida right now, the car was in illinois/indiana for a few years before i moved down here in march. i believe it was originally sold in san diego but i think the tires were put on in illinois. according to the carfax it only got ~ 1k mi in a 1 year period while it was for sale so i assume thats why the tires dry rotted?

and actually, the car has been garage kept ever since we bought it. the only time it sat outside was for a week or 2 in indiana in december while we moved stuff out of the house.

i don't think it's too noticeable, i did put some dressing on them (the thick stuff, the stuff that makes a paper towel black when you spread it around) so hopefully that will keep it from getting worse.

Quick Reply: any way to reverse or stop dry rotting?