Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G-Body Swap

Old 06-10-2010, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G-Body Swap

Hello all. I'm finally going to bite the bullet and swap a 5.3 engine in my 85 Monte Carlo SS. I want to run A/C and power steering. I know I need to swap intake but which accessory drives do I need F-Body or corvette?? Also I am trying to keep the cost as minimal as possible. Has anyone used factory exhaust manifolds?? If so which car do they come from?? Thanks there are more questions to follow.

Last edited by sslover85; 06-14-2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: title misspelled
Old 06-10-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a stock intake/inj/fuel rails... I prefer the car brackets for looks, but you can mod the truck stuff to work, search malibu, cutlass, regal on there and you can find everything plus some...
Old 06-11-2010, 07:36 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default G-Body Swap Parts

My G-body swap was LS engine into 85 Monte using Corvette accessory drive w/ a/c, Cadillac CTS-V oil pan, and Gen 4 Camaro exhaust manifolds. Frame notching was required to clear the oil pan and also fittings on the AC compressor.

Other helpful G-body (some 5.3) links below:
Probably John Bzdels Monte swaps are among the best documented:
http://www.ls7montess.com/
The car is currently LS7 powered, but in the middle of the page, click the "here" link to the original LS1 swap:
http://www.montecarloss.com/ls1montecarloss/

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-owners-2.html
http://https://ls1tech.com/forums/co...-radiator.html
http://https://ls1tech.com/forums/co...swap-pics.html
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&a...i=&safe=images (Courtesy of V8Rumble)
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ls1+malibu+swap (Courtesy of BLWN1)
Old 06-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Teching In

I want to add the A/C compressor and altenator on the top. I know I need kwik performance mounts.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Teching In

I wanted to the LS1 swap on my 86 SS but went TPI instead..I would probably still have it today if i went that route..keep us updated!
Old 06-11-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BLWN1
I have a stock intake/inj/fuel rails... I prefer the car brackets for looks, but you can mod the truck stuff to work, search malibu, cutlass, regal on there and you can find everything plus some...
If he has the 5.3accy drive, he can use the car intake and the bracket made by Speartech that moves the tensioner away from the cars tb. Also, get a newer 6.2 Escalade water pump and then the outlets are already off to the side and the water pump has the correct pulley just as the old stock 5.3 wp.
This is simpler and inexpensive. Also, the CTS-V pan, pickup. windage tray, dipstick and dipstick tube.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Monte_LS3
My G-body swap was LS engine into 85 Monte using Corvette accessory drive w/ a/c, Cadillac CTS-V oil pan, Frame notching was required to clear the oil pan and also fittings on the AC compressor.
I also used the CTS-V pan but the way my engine was positioned it did not require notching of the frame.

Basically comes down to the trade-offs your willing to accept,

Do you want the engine as far rear to stock as possible to maintain close to stock weight ratio aspects? But not too far regarding interference with AC/blower shroud?..... And far back enough to stock as to not have to customize the trans cross member or drill holes? But are you also willing to accept the costs of accessories and brackets to put the AC compressor high as it will interfere with the frame if the motor is placed to the rear and the AC compressor is positioned low?

For me, paying the extra money for accessories and brackets to place the compressor high was worth putting the motor as close to stock as possible to retain close to stock weight ratio, stock location for cross member, and not having to notch the frame.

Not saying what I did was right or what was done above was wrong….just laying out the rationale.

Matt
Old 06-11-2010, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I used all the truck stuff. The only thing I had to change was the power steering pulley, to one from a Ford van. Everything else fit even the AC.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HILROD
I used all the truck stuff. The only thing I had to change was the power steering pulley, to one from a Ford van. Everything else fit even the AC.
I hear you.. unfortunately with an LS2 out of a GTO.. Using John Bs motor mounts.. AC wasnt going to happen in stock GTO position.. Well.. not without frame modification..

Alternator had issues as well with the long pulley..

But I knew that going in..
Old 06-12-2010, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Same as HILROD, except I used a power steering pulley from a GM 3.1 V6, found in almost every FWD car, just had to push it further onto the shaft to get it to line up properly.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...img_0334-2.jpg
Old 06-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Launching!

Can you post pics of your install? What engine mounts and oil pan did you use?

Thanks
Old 06-13-2010, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Here's some pics of my 87 ls...sorry in advance for being so large and the ac line sort of in the way. Used the brp mounts that bolt into the stock mount positions, all f-body stuff, and the lh8 pan from gm dealer. The compressor isn't on in the picture but it does fit.

Name:  100_0120.jpg
Views: 3834
Size:  174.4 KB
Name:  100_0122.jpg
Views: 1841
Size:  181.0 KB
Old 06-13-2010, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pmgm
Can you post pics of your install? What engine mounts and oil pan did you use?

Thanks
I used Trans Dapt plates with stock mounts and a Hummer pan. I also used Pasesetter headers for a 2000-2002 Camaro.
Attached Thumbnails G-Body Swap-dsc01408s.jpg  
Old 06-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry for the spelling of the thread too. I cant figure out how to edit it just yet. This is what I'm picturing in my head. An LS1 without the carb, a corvette or camaro intake. and the A/C compressor on the top of the engine not the bottom. I want everything to look like it came in my car from the factory. Oh I love pics by the way.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

Default G Body swap

I just saw Holley's swap into a 1985(?) El Camino on Power Tour. They are goign to offer a kit including mounting plates and an AC comprssor bracket. It will use the original GM round type from the 80's very nice.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Ok it's been almost a year since I posted and during that time I have been researching and pricing engines. I am looking for the best( cheapest) motor mounts. I would love to have a set from John but he no longer makes them. I'm just ready to start collecting parts but wanna make sure I get the right stuff. Seems like this should be easy since sooo many peopple has done this swap. I dont wanna go with BRP too expensive. Can spend that money toward something else. So for mounts is it Transdapt, Spohn, or the ebay ones??? Thanks
Old 05-25-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sslover85
I want to add the A/C compressor and altenator on the top. I know I need kwik performance mounts.
you dont need the aftermarket AC mounts.
with some very minor mods, you can just bolt on a mid 80s to late 90s V6 AC bracket to the passenger side head.
this replaces the tensioner, and lets you bolt in your stock AC compressor in almost the stock location.. (assuming your year monte has the AC on the passenger side.. if not, its not a hard swap, just use hoses for a passenger side AC system)
Old 06-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Teching In

I used Trans Dapt plates with stock mounts and a Hummer pan. I also used Pasesetter headers for a 2000-2002 Camaro.
Did you use the 1" set back mounts, and did the headers go right in?
Old 06-11-2011, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

I had to just barely ding a few tubes, less than a 1/4. One tube on the passenger side needed a bit of denting to the frame near the real lower control arm mount so the tube could stay intact.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: G-Body Swap