inspection sticker help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inspection sticker help!!!

Ok im trying to get my inspection sticker but having a lil problem doing so. Just wondering if anyone knows of a shop where they are nice enough to give (sale) inspection stickers for "camaros", like ours . I live in Henderson tx. So c'mon guys help me out. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

Im not sure where Henderson is but I live in Ft Worth TX and have the same problem...grrr it was so much easier when I lived in San Antonio....got to love those non emissions counties. Hopefully someone in the DFW area knows the same answer to your question. Sorry I could not be helpful to you but good luck!
Old 06-01-2011, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have emissions here in Houston... but as long as your computer shows no codes and all it will pass. That is here at least and as far as I know all of the codes can be tuned out if it is emissions stuff.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

Ive never heard of that before. they always put the emissions sniffer in your tailpipe and I am running with no cats so it never passes. You have to know someone who will put another car on it and then give you the sticker because the computer has to show the car passing from what I understand.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

They have never put my car on the sniffer. They just plug in the OBDII and run it for a minute so the computer will get readings. Check the lights and brakes, wipers and all that stuff. Then they put the sticker on and off I go. The only vehicle they put the sniffer on that I own is my 95 Ram because it is 1 year too old for the OBDII and needs sniffed on the dyno.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

I am an inspector and can tell you this: get your emission codes tuned out! And as long as the computer shows "ready" for the moniters you will pass the emission part of the inspection. All 96 and newer cars get obdII tested = no sniffer in the tailpipe. If. Anyone has any questions about inspections I will be happy to answer them just shoot me a pm
Old 06-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Colemann
Ive never heard of that before. they always put the emissions sniffer in your tailpipe....
Ask them why they are doing that on an OBDII vehicle? Your car should not get the sniffer or the dyno.

I remember an inspection place dang near holding my STi (sold) hostage trying to get a code to pop up after seeing it had no cats. I told them, there is no visual inspection in TX, so they left my car running for a least 20 minutes. In the end, they had to pass it.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by metoo
Ask them why they are doing that on an OBDII vehicle? Your car should not get the sniffer or the dyno.

I remember an inspection place dang near holding my STi (sold) hostage trying to get a code to pop up after seeing it had no cats. I told them, there is no visual inspection in TX, so they left my car running for a least 20 minutes. In the end, they had to pass it.
there is visual inspection. just went through it today. inspector popped the hood, checked fluids, belts, and then looked for cats and emissions equipment. good thing i didnt install my longtubes yet lol
Old 06-01-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Katy jiffy lube was trying to tell me my car was missing the EGR and wouldn't pass, i was like no **** it's a 2001.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jake_the_Snake
there is visual inspection. just went through it today. inspector popped the hood, checked fluids, belts, and then looked for cats and emissions equipment. good thing i didnt install my longtubes yet lol

Well you my friend are lucky... I tried to get mine and completely and utterly failed the exam. My fault tho too I had my cutout opened runnig LTs straight pipe so the guy took a looked under the car and noticed no cats and no muffler. After that he rolled my windows up. Came upon 5%tint. The guy also told me that my light bulb color was wrong on headlights. He told me HIDs were not legal that I had to go back to stock bulb. I really nneed to find someone to help out. This just sux
Old 06-01-2011, 04:11 PM
-M-

Originally Posted by white man
Katy jiffy lube was trying to tell me my car was missing the EGR and wouldn't pass, i was like no **** it's a 2001.
Report that inspector. He shouldn't be failing people for his lack of knowledge. that does two things to customers: puts their car in the state system with a red flag (iirc) AND costs twice as much money.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by -M-
Report that inspector. He shouldn't be failing people for his lack of knowledge. that does two things to customers: puts their car in the state system with a red flag (iirc) AND costs twice as much money.

Hold on here, you mean to tell me that once they put your car in the system it costs more??? Man that guy typed some info in the. Computer about my car so I guess im red flagged
Old 06-01-2011, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

i didnt pass either. stupid BRAKE light is on. gotta bust into the center console and mess around with the switch i guess
Old 06-01-2011, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

my buddies cousin does mine, i show up he takes old sticker off and puts new one on as long as no lights on dash
Old 06-01-2011, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

and yes they flag you in the system so if you go somewhere else they can see what you failed for and check to see if you fixed it, and you only get double charged after a week or 2. you have a grace period to get things fixed as long as you take it back to same place that failed you
Old 06-01-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had my car inspected with LTs/ORY with no problems at all, was in and out pretty quick and im in Fort Worth as well.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jake_the_Snake
There's nothing on the checklist for exhaust component details. If there was, they would look and fell half the performance cars in Texas. There is a visual inspection for things like obtrusive window cracks, torn wiper blades, worn out tires, and stuff like that, but your pipes and cats are pretty much your business. That's why my catless STi passed even though the technician and manager clearly observed the straight pipe to muffler configuration. You can't roll up with headers dumping to the ground.

As per the TDPS website:

"Items of Inspection

05.01 Inspect Every Passenger Car For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection)

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility

1. Horn
2. Windshield Wipers
3. Mirror
4. Steering
5. Seat Belts
6. Brakes (system) (Parking - beginning with 1960 models)
7. Tires
8. Wheel Assembly
9. Exhaust System
10. Exhaust Emission System (beginning with 1968 models)
11. Beam Indicator (beginning with 1948 models)
12. Tail Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
13. Stop Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
14. License Plate Lamp (1)
15. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
16. Turn Signal Lamps (beginning with 1960 models)
17. Head Lamps (2)
18. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number
19. 1988 & newer - inspect for window tinting or coating
20. Gas caps on vehicles 2-24 model years old."

Exhaust system is there, but it is pretty much a check of existence of an exhaust system. At least that's the way I've always experienced it. I'll check with an inspector and chime back in.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit:

Okay, I'm back. I just checked with a freind/inspector and I stand corrected. They are supposed to check for mufflers, cats, and leaks. He said that most will not even look as long as there is no obvious audible exhaust leak and you pass the OBDII test. However, officially, they can fail your car for lack of cats.

Last edited by metoo; 06-01-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Last edited by Ballerado; 06-01-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

If anybody knows of a place that is passing vehicles for inspection that they shouldn't, I wouldn't expect them to post about it (^Except this guy^). That could put that shop at risk of being shut down.

Originally Posted by metoo
Edit:

Okay, I'm back. I just checked with a freind/inspector and I stand corrected. They are supposed to check for mufflers, cats, and leaks. He said that most will not even look as long as there is no obvious audible exhaust leak and you pass the OBDII test. However, officially, they can fail your car for lack of cats.
I was gonna say...

10. Exhaust Emission System (beginning with 1968 models)

Wouldn't that include cats?
Old 06-01-2011, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

Yeah... publicly posting a specific shop is not a good idea. Maybe a PM or something is different but now the shop would be at risk if the wrong person sees it.

Quick Reply: inspection sticker help!!!