Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Service stability system notification . . . FIXED

Old 07-01-2011, 08:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Service stability system notification . . . FIXED

Hey all,

Well first the good news. I replaced my radiator and the leak has vanished. Yay.

The bad news: A few days later I'm driving from work to my GF's house. Pretty typical mix of traffic/highway. It's nice weather out so I'm driving in Comp mode just in case I find an open spot to have fun. It's more optimism than anything else, as I drive that same route all the time and there is never a place to have fun lol.

Anyways, with comp mode on I'm sitting at a stop light. My service stability system notification kicks on the screen. I acknowledge it. At that point, my T/C light is still on, as I was in comp mode. I turn TC back on, then try and go back into comp mode but it won't let me. It's either on, or off. I drive to her house, park it for the night.

The next day it drives perfectly normal. No service stability message, no TC lights, works in comp mode, etc. Everything seems fine.

A day later (this AM) I was driving home going down the highway at about 60mph with the cruise set. I feel a loss of power, or almost felt like a light tap of the brakes and the the stability system engaged message appears. No T/C or ABS lights or anything. I didn't hit a big bump or anything, the road was smooth.

I press the TC button to kick the light on and disable everything. Or at least that's how I believe I disable everything.

Regardless, about 5 minutes later I'm still cruising, T/C off, cruise control on, but not engaged (power button on, don't have it set to maintain any certain speed). I feel another tug, and the stability system engaged light comes on. The tugs are very brief, like a quick light tap on the brakes. But it's unnerving to say the least.

From the posts I've read, common culprits seem to be the Steering wheel position sensor, the yaw position sensor, or the wheel speed sensors. Anyone have experience to say that one or the other seems to be the usual suspect? There was a guy on the Cadillac forums that described almost my very problem, and for him it ended up being the SWPS. I'm almost tempted to change that before going to the dealer and paying 90 bucks for a diagnosis.

Any thoughts? Sorry for the wall of text

Last edited by siggyfreud; 07-28-2011 at 12:28 AM. Reason: update
Old 07-01-2011, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my service stability come on just a few weeks ago. It turns out the battery cables were justbcoming loose from the battery. So it didn't have a very good connection. You mightbwanna check that. Just sharing my experience lol. Best of luck.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sure is quiet out there
Old 07-02-2011, 02:52 AM
TECH Resident

check all the connections on your hubs make sure non are loose
Old 07-04-2011, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like it could be an intermittant problem. See if you can get the car scanned for any DTC's.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:53 AM
TECH Veteran

I was told awhile back a bad steering wheel position sensor could cause this. My car was doing the same thing but I always disengage the traction control completely now when i get in the car and haven't had any issues since.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hub connectors look good.

There are no persistent trouble lights and from the forums it seems like dtc coded are only stored until I acknowledge the navigation message.

About 70 miles of driving last two days and it hasn't popped up again yet.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
A day later (this AM) I was driving home going down the highway at about 60mph with the cruise set. I feel a loss of power, or almost felt like a light tap of the brakes and the the stability system engaged message appears. No T/C or ABS lights or anything. I didn't hit a big bump or anything, the road was smooth.
My 05 CTS-V did this 3 times.
Dont know why.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Recently? Or in the past and it never came back?
Old 07-05-2011, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Recently? Or in the past and it never came back?
The last time it happen was last month on the freeway.
I was thinking it was the tires on the rear.
Was running 275/35/18 (Free tire so I did not care)
Old 07-05-2011, 09:17 AM
TECH Veteran

That might be it man. Difference in tire size can cause it.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Two days of driving and nothing. Then on the way home today, within 10 minutes of turning the Cruise Control on I get the Stability System Engaged message and a quick tap of the brakes.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...r-install.html

Some light reading for you. Although I'm sure you already viewed my thread there is a way to have the dealer check your SWPS in that thread.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

I had the same issue. Brought it by the dealer and they pulled the code for a bad rear hub. Replaced the hub and all was good for a little while. The error came back - but this time it was the steering wheel position sensor. Since I had that replaced - it's been all good.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

With it being as intermittent as it is, I'd guess your rear hub never was bad in the first place?
Old 07-28-2011, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just thought I'd follow up and let everyone know I fixed the issue. Took a chance based on the symptoms and installed a new SWPS. Took about 2 hours and went very well. Few weeks so far and no issues since. Fingers crossed.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:51 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for sharing your fix. Can you post info on any tips tricks you discovered during the work.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

I followed the write-up found over at Cadillac forums. Was pretty comprehensive. You're not really supposed to let your steering wheel move THAT much during the install, though a few inches either way is fine. I put tape on the steering wheel and then tape on the plastic trim that attaches to it as a reference point and made sure they lined back up on reinstallation.

Best tip I can think of is to have a second set of hands .
Old 07-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

Just a reminder. I think this has tripped multiple people up, including myself. If you just tap the button once, and turn the light on, all you've disabled is traction control. The stability control is still fully on. To desensitize the stability control (and keep T/C off) you enter competitive driving mode, which we all know about.

But to disable EVERYTHING, you have to press and HOLD the button.
Old 09-10-2023, 10:59 PM

Default same problem

same thing happens go me but when going 130 mph usually but first time it happened was when i was shifiting into 3rd and it suddently yanked and i just had a good grip on the wheel but idk but when i wanna step pass 130 now i turn all things off

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service stability system notification . . . FIXED