General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LT1 starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation LT1 starting problems

Hey guys I've searched around but haven't exactly found anyone with the same symptoms that I've had so I thought I'd post..I have a 1996 TA and when I first got it,it had a bad water pump,this was the first thing I replaced when I got it home.It had some starting issues soon after where it went from weak starts to not starting at all..I replaced the battery and this fixed the problem for the most part,though I still experienced fairly weak starts.I still had to give the gas pedal a little push to get a strong start up.When I'd let it sit say overnight after driving it would start up fine on its own without me having to give it any gas,but if I make frequent stops places, starting it up would require some pedal..Last night I got it home and went to turn it back on to pull it into the garage and now it's not starting at all. I'm leaning towards a bad opti,but I'd just like some opinions before I spend about 500 on an MSD opti..Thanks.

Also,the SES light chooses random times to come on and then it'll go away at times..Last time I had the car running and the SES light was on I plugged it up to my diagnostic and it gave me a PO102 code,but I doubt this because I also put a new MAF sensor in it after the water pump repair..I assumed this is from the cai as my ses light isnt constantly on..

Last edited by FormulaTA96; 08-07-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

A CAI will not cause a ses light to come on. If you're getting a MAF code you can check the connector and wires going to it to make sure they are not messed up. To rule out the opti run the test on Shbox's site http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#opti_test
Old 08-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

Will do,thanks for posting that.Im starting to suspect its just my starter though as my car has always ran fine and never had the symptoms that people with bad opti's have had.All the trouble I've had before this is just when it's turning to start..If it's cold it would start up fine but when its warm it would have trouble turning..It seems now though it's completely went out.

Quick Reply: LT1 starting problems