Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dipstick is stuck in the tube

Old 08-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dipstick is stuck in the tube

I just bought my first ls1 car a few weeks ago. The previous owner mentioned that the dipstick is stick in the tube; and it is. I cannot get the dipstick to pull out.

I want to buy a new tube and dipstick, but I'm having trouble finding anything online or at local parts stores.

Anyone know where I can pick this up. How hard is it to swap? Do I need to pull the oil pan off to change this, or can I just unbolt it from the side of the block and pull it out?
Old 08-29-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ryanbgb22
I just bought my first ls1 car a few weeks ago. The previous owner mentioned that the dipstick is stick in the tube; and it is. I cannot get the dipstick to pull out.

I want to buy a new tube and dipstick, but I'm having trouble finding anything online or at local parts stores.

Anyone know where I can pick this up. How hard is it to swap? Do I need to pull the oil pan off to change this, or can I just unbolt it from the side of the block and pull it out?
The P/N for the tube is 12551577 and the level indicator is 12551581

You can try the stealership and check cost. They can be a PITA or it was for me when I swapped the old one from my LS1 to the 408. Basically, just unbolt it from the block and find something to pry on the lip of the tube where it enters the block. Something like a panel clip remover would be nice that way it pulls evenly on both sides instead of a screwdriver just yanking one side at a time up.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
The P/N for the tube is 12551577 and the level indicator is 12551581

You can try the stealership and check cost. They can be a PITA or it was for me when I swapped the old one from my LS1 to the 408. Basically, just unbolt it from the block and find something to pry on the lip of the tube where it enters the block. Something like a panel clip remover would be nice that way it pulls evenly on both sides instead of a screwdriver just yanking one side at a time up.
Hmmm, do we even know what engine the OP is referring to? There are numerous part numbers for the different body styles...

I'd try removing the upper fixture bolt and pulling the entire assembly out. Of course, that may not work either if the bottom of the "stick" is wrapped around something inside the pan...
Old 08-30-2011, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

put some vicegrips on the old dipstick and yank the biotch out.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Hmmm, do we even know what engine the OP is referring to? There are numerous part numbers for the different body styles...

I'd try removing the upper fixture bolt and pulling the entire assembly out. Of course, that may not work either if the bottom of the "stick" is wrapped around something inside the pan...
You're right, the P/N listed is for an f-body which I assumed because if it was a vette, people usually list that or specify GTO. Either way, the OP hasn't come back to tell us which vehicle he has
Old 08-30-2011, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If he can't pull the dipstick out of the tube, this indicates some bottom end damage that bent the end of the dipstick.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or a very strong tiny midget has a hold on it.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If it could be bent, it can be bent back. Maybe hooking a slide hammer to it, but you should be able to somehow pull it out. What is it going to hurt if something hit it hard enough to bend it?
Old 08-30-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

The bent dipstick may be the least of his problems.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:09 PM
Teching In

1.get another car. 2. get a chain and hook it to the rear bumber. 3 wrap the other end of the chain around the dipstick and tube(make sure it's secure)
4. take off in car with chain hooked up
Old 08-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Teching In

My dip stick would not come out when I first purchased my car. I was able to get the dip stick out by pulling and twisting the dip stick at the same time. I discovered that the dip stick was a two piece design that was riveted together, and that the tube had been bent over more flattening it out at the bend. With it being flattened out more the rivet was catching inside the tube.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:34 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Hmmm, do we even know what engine the OP is referring to?
This is a really annoying problem. People post questions but don't tell us what car/year it is or the engine.

OP, we can help you more accurately if you told us what it is.

Make a signature that lists what you have.

Try twisting the dip both ways while pulling real hard.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

If people don't mention what vehicle/engine, then I just assume 1998-2002 F-body with no mods.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
If people don't mention what vehicle/engine, then I just assume 1998-2002 F-body with no mods.
Me too
Old 11-29-2011, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by joecar
Yea, 02 camaro, had no mods at the time. The stock dipstick was pretty badly corroded in the tube . The tube came out no problem, but putting the new one in was kind of a pain, not terrible with two people though. Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

My trans dipstick was stuck. I tried pulling on it as hard as I could and twisting it, but it wouldn't budge. After messing with it for a bit, it finally move a little and I could see the rubber plug at the top of the stick so I put the tip of my knife in there and pried it up and it came out. The rubber plug was kind of stuck against the tube because it was dry. I put some grease on it and now it comes out perfectly.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, 02 camaro, had no mods at the time. The stock dipstick was pretty badly corroded in the tube . The tube came out no problem, but putting the new one in was kind of a pain, not terrible with two people though. Thanks for the input everyone.
Originally Posted by sepsis
My trans dipstick was stuck. I tried pulling on it as hard as I could and twisting it, but it wouldn't budge. After messing with it for a bit, it finally move a little and I could see the rubber plug at the top of the stick so I put the tip of my knife in there and pried it up and it came out. The rubber plug was kind of stuck against the tube because it was dry. I put some grease on it and now it comes out perfectly.
Both of these situations indicate the the dipstick was never removed for checking the fluid level.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dipstick is stuck in the tube