General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil leak. Rear main seal? PHOTOS

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak. Rear main seal? PHOTOS

I have a leak that I cannot seem to figure out on my 98 z28 a4. The whole bottom of the oil pan/transmission and random areas of the motor WAS filled with gunky oil when I first bought the car. I cleaned it up with brake cleaner and drove it for over 100 miles and I only see oil coming from one specific spot. Is there suppose to be oil within that one bolt? The bolt with oil on it and the bolt on the right side are both stripped and I cannot tighten them. I get about 10-15 drips over night.

The seal between the tranny and motor is not leaking, it comes from the bolt and slides to the middle.

Does this look like a oil leak I should be concerned about? Do I need to fix it ASAP?

Here's a pic of the dried oil before I cleaned it. WHERE the F is it coming from? Oil pan gasket f'd up?? It doesn't seem to leak anymore after I cleaned it all off..

Thanks
Old 09-01-2011, 09:48 PM
wrencher

Your stripped bolts are the 'long' oil pan bolts.
So yes that can be the cause of your leak.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wrencher
Your stripped bolts are the 'long' oil pan bolts.
So yes that can be the cause of your leak.
Cool. Best way to fix that? It's kind of weird how there's oil everywhere though even though it just drips some oil overnight.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

mine does the same.......except even worse........could be rear seal.......rear cover gasket........oil pan gasket.....OPSU......valley cover gasket.......whew........could be ANY freakin thing......i will be dropping my motor and replacing EVERY freakin gasket soon
Old 09-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
mine does the same.......except even worse........could be rear seal.......rear cover gasket........oil pan gasket.....OPSU......valley cover gasket.......whew........could be ANY freakin thing......i will be dropping my motor and replacing EVERY freakin gasket soon
Yes it sucks! Let me know when you figure it out! I'll let you know if I find out before you.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine was rear main seal,
Old 09-02-2011, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by flippincamaro
mine was rear main seal,
Did yours make a mess like in the pics ?

Last edited by xhifer; 09-02-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:05 PM
WKF
Staging Lane

Mine was doing the exact samething it looks like. I looked everywhere for the leak. A few weeks later while changing out my intake I saw that the angle sensor behind the intake next to the oil pressure sensor had a bad o-ring on it (halfway down the shaft) and wasn't sealing. The oil had been running down the back of the block over & around the Trans..... down the oil filter.... you get the picture. It was never leaking anymore than roughly what you describe. Ever since I pulled that sensor, changed the O-ring on it & bolted it back down to spec, the leak is gone. I swore up & down that it was going to be a rear main or something.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WKF
Mine was doing the exact samething it looks like. I looked everywhere for the leak. A few weeks later while changing out my intake I saw that the angle sensor behind the intake next to the oil pressure sensor had a bad o-ring on it (halfway down the shaft) and wasn't sealing. The oil had been running down the back of the block over & around the Trans..... down the oil filter.... you get the picture. It was never leaking anymore than roughly what you describe. Ever since I pulled that sensor, changed the O-ring on it & bolted it back down to spec, the leak is gone. I swore up & down that it was going to be a rear main or something.
Good info. I'm going to take off my intake manifold and check it all out.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Be careful with those two bolts they aren't supposed to be tightened very much or they will break! ( ask me how i know) I thought my rear main was leaking when it was dripping from the same spot and I replaced it. Ended up being my oil pressure sending unit.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Staging Lane

Yea. The previous owner defintely broke or stripped those bolts already. Well, I reached behind the intake manifold and found the PVC tube cut completely in half. Looks like a rat nibbled on it. Or the PCV valve got stuck and blew up the tube? I guess that's where the oil came from and scattered everywhere. So the pcv lines do contain oil right? Lol
Old 09-04-2011, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Hopefully it's a easy enough fix. But, as mentioned above just about can and does leak.

Quick Reply: Oil leak. Rear main seal? PHOTOS