What do you do if a UPS package is stolen from your doorstep?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 12:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you do if a UPS package is stolen from your doorstep?

My buddy ordered some car parts from a company off of Ebay. They shipped UPS. Well, he checked the online tracking at work, and it said they were delivered. When he got to his apartment, they weren't at his door OR the front office. The only explanation is that the delivery driver was a moron, and left them at his apartment door and they were stolen.

What course of action should he take? Should he call UPS or the company that sold him the parts? Don't know if it matters, but the parts totaled around $250.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes I will see that the package has been delivered when I track it and it will get there the day after or the next, did he call UPS to confirm, you can't always trust the online tracking.

I would think if he didn't sign for it, UPS would be liable, but some apt complexes are shady and somebody in the front office could have signed for it
Old 09-09-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

File a claim with UPS asap, contact the company that sold the parts also. I always tell then require a signature/ID when I lived in an apartment. Sorry about the loss.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Maybe a neighbor has it, I had a UPS driver leave a package with my neighbor once.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

UPS fault call them complain !! That happened to me with a phone got my $$$ back or they asked if I wanted another 1!!!
Old 09-09-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Collect the insurance... It was surely insured for shipping...

UPS usually will leave an item at the door(seems to be an open policy), sometimes knocking and then leaving, if they don't see anyone there at the time and haven't been specifically told to hand deliver(which may cost more in some cases). I used to have them either leave a package only with me, or keep it in their facility until I come pick it up myself.

He should call both ther shipper and the carrier to verify any needed steps for recouping the loss and it's not a bad idea to check with neighbors to see if anyone got it for him so it wasn't stolen.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Launching!

I'll tell you about a lesson I learned the expensive way while we're on the subject. I had a guy on here stiff me on a stall converter through PayPal because I didn't require a signature when I shipped it to him. If you ship anything over $250 in value, ALWAYS require a signature. He said that the same UPS scenario happened to him, and instead of filing a claim with UPS which would have been the right thing to do, he filed a claim against ME through PayPal, and they gave the shady ********** all of his money back and docked me for it. Their reasoning was that I didn't require a signature and the value was over $250.

Kinda off topic, but somewhat related. Thought I would share just in case it helps
Old 09-09-2011, 01:25 PM
11 Second Club

File a claim. Not supposed to leave on door step unless it's a "safe area" apartments are hardly safe.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I've had UPS do the same crap at my girls apartment. They left a box under the floor mat like some damn idiots. Once they took the whole package the second time they put the empty box back under the door mat. Their packages are generally automatically insure for $100 so if they do side with you they will probably give you $100. Did you all insure the package for $250 or add any insurance at all?

I think one of the times we were reimbursed by the Ebay seller and the other didn't do anything about it because they put the blame on UPS and UPS wouldn't do anything because they said the shipper had to file the claim which the ahole would even do that for us. Even if you do talk UPS into opening the claim on your behalf if they do pay out the money it goes back to the person who shipped the package lol.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Yeah, but the whole point is that if you pay with your credit card, even if you pay through PayPal with your credit card, and the value is over $250 and they didn't put signature required, your credit card company will reimburse you. At least that's the way PayPal explained it to me as to why they have their rule like that
Old 09-09-2011, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't freak out. Alot of drivers scan packages as delivered before they drop them off. I've checked on packages in the morning and they've said delivered, and get home with nothing there. A few hours later, they show up.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if no signature is required, UPS drivers scan packages when theyre loaded onto the truck and the website shows 'delivered'. That saves them time and they dont have to scan them individually when they deliver
Old 09-09-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

contact seller, if not satisfied, file dispute with BOTH paypal and Ebay.... you will get your money back and if the seller did use tracking number correctly, he will be covered too.. if over 250, seller is screwed... happened to me.. lost $1200 nitro rc car and the cash from the sale... follow the rules and you will be fine....
Old 09-10-2011, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

This isnt the seller's fault, if he shipped the package and provided a tracking number why is he getting screwed. This falls into UPS, they have to refund, or replace.

OP next time try having UPS hold the package at their HUB's or have it delivered to a UPS Store by either renting a box, or paying 5 bucks for the store to sign and store your package.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

The only issue is that UPS only insures for 100 bucks and it takes 6 weeks to get it. So I can only hope the company that shipped it, insured it for the complete value. This happened to me about a year ago and the company I bought it from didn't insure it so they replaced it. lucky me.... and i hope you get this worked out in your favor. Next time I would make sure they drop it off at your apartment complex main office but you have to note that on the shipping documents.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by svg210
This isnt the seller's fault, if he shipped the package and provided a tracking number why is he getting screwed.
That was my argument and still got screwed

Quick Reply: What do you do if a UPS package is stolen from your doorstep?