LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

96 WS6 LT1 Opti woes

Old 09-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 96 WS6 LT1 Opti woes

Hey all,
New to the web site I have a 96 WS6 Tran Am LT1. I have gone through 4 opti spark ditributors and I am wanting to burn my car. i have had the car 4 years and only driven it a few times. It has no after market parts all stock I love the car but really frustrated with the LT1 design. Is there anyway to cut out the OPTI all together? What about swapping out the LT1 with LS1? Or should I just Sale this car and get a 98 WS6. I spent three years in Japan so havent driven it much it was in storage at my dads place he said it ran the whole time. So expected it to start when i jumped in and nothing, the starter tcranks it pops a 1371 code. Anyhelp will be appreciated.

James a Trans Am lover
Old 09-06-2011, 12:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The popular but rather expensive 24x system by EFI Connection. Completely removes the Opti.

You can go with a Delteq system which converts the Opti to a two-coil-per-cylinder setup and retains the Opti as just a camshaft sensor of sorts. Cheaper and you can find that here.

Then there is LTCC which is yet cheaper but retains most of the opti still. You can find that here.

Hope that helps. Personally, I would save for the 24x system.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

You may be replacing the wrong part...

Every time you pull out the opti you disconnect its pigtail and then reconnect it, in essence 'jiggling' it enough to momentarily resolve a poor connection issue. P1371 is the LOW resolution signal. It's fairly uncommon to have a sudden catastrophic failure internal to the unit that blinds the optical encoder's large wheel apertures that wouldn't first cause interference and poor performance as a result of loss of high resolution signal.

For giggles, replace the pigtail from the pass. side of the intake to the opti. See if that doesn't cure your problem. Easy to spend $30.00 before $340.00.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Thanks, I will start small then look into the 24X. I will keep y'all posted.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Teching In

So it's been a little while since I have been here so here's the update. For giggles I changed out the opti harness and guess what it worked. So for the first time since I owned the car it actually worked and didn't cost an arm and a leg! Thank you for the help!!!!!
Old 09-30-2011, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

You gotta love it when it's a relatively cheap fix.

Nice work.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Gentlemen,

Alright so I am back, heres the issue now... I replaced the opti harness and it starts but the issue is that it will only run for like five minutes and then dies wait a little bit then it will start and run for even less time. Then no start pops 1371 code...Wait a a day or whatever then try start and same thing all over.....
Old 10-02-2011, 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The opti is a good part, in over 250K on vehicles I bought used I have never had a failure, not even on the street strip car making near twice stock power turning near 7000rpm.
Have to figure out what you are doing wrong.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Banned

Well what brand opti are you using for the replacements? The Chandler motorsports opti is a cheap and very popular aftermarket option that has worked well for a lot of guys. I installed one on a friends 96 Impala SS and it has been bulletproof since.

Good idea would be to remove the cap and rotor and use red loc-tite on the rotor screws then reinstall. Also install a new harness as stated before. Have you replaced your Ignition control module or your coil yet? They are all part of the ignition system and can contribute to your problem. Cheap parts as well! The MSD blaster coil is around 35$ if I remember right.

I have the MSD billet opti, MSD blaster coil, and stock ICM on my 383 LT1. The opti took a crap within 2k miles but I got it replaced under warranty, loc-tited the screws and no problems since.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Gentlemen,

Ok so here's what has transpire'd today. After I posted I got an idea I pulled the security brain out and the car runs as advertised. I'm not sure what's going but it's electrical. With that being said now I don't have a car security system but I'm ok with that as long as it runs. Like I said before haven't done much other than what I have already stated. Just a little frustrated. Hopefully I won't have any issues.

Thanks
Old 10-03-2011, 03:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The opti is a good part, in over 250K on vehicles I bought used I have never had a failure, not even on the street strip car making near twice stock power turning near 7000rpm.
Have to figure out what you are doing wrong.
I agree. my car currently has around 197k or 198k miles and i barely removed the opti today. From the looks of things, it seemed like its still the stock one. Im going to replace it with another AC Delco. And the reason it finally failed was cus my dumbass accidentaly sprayed it with water. Im sure it wouldve lasted over 200k if i hadnt gotten it wet.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Even getting them wet internally usually only causes TEMPORARY issues as getting the inside of any distributor does. Just with the opti everyone buys into the "opti is the only problem" thinking and replaces it way too quickly.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Default 1371 Opti????

So gentlemen,

I am really frustrated now my 1996 trans am wont start or stay running. its popping a 1371 again any ideas. Keep in mind that this isnt my daily driver I have puty very little miles on this vehicle since I owned it. It runs sometimes and then quits popping a 1371 and then itll clear and run. Not reliably. I have taken the security brain out of the vehicle thinking this was the issue I have fuel pressure and spark. Should I replace the opti or keep trouble shooting. I replace the opti 4 years ago then it has been stored because I recieved orders to japan I am in the marine corps. My dad kept and said it ran fine, so i come back and no start, then I replace the opti harness. It ran off an on for the last 7 months when it doesnt run it pops the 1371... Anyhelp will be very appreciated!!!!
Old 08-18-2012, 03:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default My $0.02

My GM Service Manual (Page 6E-743) says you have either:

An Open, A Short to B+, A Short to GND, or a bad Opti.

So, check the two "Low Res" wires (RED/BLK and PNK/BLK) from the Opti 4 pin harness to the PCM - if those three above mentioned conditions do not exist, then it is the Opti.

You could try and blow compressed air into an Opti vent and see if water comes out of the second vent - this worked for me when I tried to "quarter car wash" my engine (D'oh!).

Good luck!

Originally Posted by jdgysgtball
So gentlemen,

I am really frustrated now my 1996 trans am wont start or stay running. its popping a 1371 again any ideas. Keep in mind that this isnt my daily driver I have puty very little miles on this vehicle since I owned it. It runs sometimes and then quits popping a 1371 and then itll clear and run. Not reliably. I have taken the security brain out of the vehicle thinking this was the issue I have fuel pressure and spark. Should I replace the opti or keep trouble shooting. I replace the opti 4 years ago then it has been stored because I recieved orders to japan I am in the marine corps. My dad kept and said it ran fine, so i come back and no start, then I replace the opti harness. It ran off an on for the last 7 months when it doesnt run it pops the 1371... Anyhelp will be very appreciated!!!!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:51 PM
Teching In

So gents,

I think it has to be a short because it started for about five or ten minutes then shut down and I coudnt get it to start again...

jim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 WS6 LT1 Opti woes