Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Drag Shocks?

Old 10-14-2011, 06:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drag Shocks?

I'm interested in upgrading various parts on my suspension... I've been told that drag shocks are a must for straight line performance... I'm looking into drag shocks from Lakewood. I'm getting suggestions to put 70/30 shocks up front and 50/50 in the rear. I'm *very new to suspension, in fact I don't know a damn thing about suspension, but I do know its crucial to upgrade for better traction. Can anyone explain to me what 70/30 and 50/50 refer to and how these shocks will effect my launch and overall traction?

Thanks

-Marcus
Old 10-14-2011, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Get Afcos from madmanracing.com. he will sit you up for sure and can explain everything you need to know about drag shocks.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by transam69230
Get Afcos from madmanracing.com. he will sit you up for sure and can explain everything you need to know about drag shocks.
Tried that website, didn't work... and I have no preference for the manufacturer, just trying to learn more about suspension.

Thanks though.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

You need to call him and talk to him. If you want to learn about shocks go afcos website. Like I said he knows suspension and is a super nice guy.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by transam69230
You need to call him and talk to him. If you want to learn about shocks go afcos website. Like I said he knows suspension and is a super nice guy.
Oh... okay, thanks!
Old 10-17-2011, 03:15 PM
FormerVendor

Hey Marcus. Give us a call and we can help you launch your '98.

For 70/30 shocks, the 70 is how stiff the shock is in bump or compression while the 30 is how easily the shock pulls out in rebound or extension. A 70/30 on the front allow for the front to come up easily and help load the rear tires (due to the 30). A car that wheelstands or at least really unloads the front tires can benefit from the 70 portion for when the front drops back down.

A 50/50 is equal in extension and compression and is considered "balanced".

My explanation is vague on purpose as one manufacturers 70/30 may respond completely differently than another. The terms are industry standard but the exact values are not.

Jerry, one of our tech guys, loves drag racing and is very knowledgeable. I'd give him a try.

ramey
Old 10-17-2011, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hey Marcus. Give us a call and we can help you launch your '98.

For 70/30 shocks, the 70 is how stiff the shock is in bump or compression while the 30 is how easily the shock pulls out in rebound or extension. A 70/30 on the front allow for the front to come up easily and help load the rear tires (due to the 30). A car that wheelstands or at least really unloads the front tires can benefit from the 70 portion for when the front drops back down.

A 50/50 is equal in extension and compression and is considered "balanced".

My explanation is vague on purpose as one manufacturers 70/30 may respond completely differently than another. The terms are industry standard but the exact values are not.

Jerry, one of our tech guys, loves drag racing and is very knowledgeable. I'd give him a try.

ramey
Thanks for the info! I will be purchasing some control arms and possibly some subframe connectors from UMI in the near future!
Old 10-18-2011, 08:20 AM
FormerVendor

Sounds great Marcus.

Let us know how we can help.

Good luck with your project!

ramey
Old 10-18-2011, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much power are you making or plan on making. I found that frame connectors,T.arm ,and relocation brackets for the rear control arms made the most difference in launching the car. I need to upgrade to a drag bar for the rear. I 'm running the Afco shocks they are ok. The shocks help control the movement of the suspension so really finish all of it then buy shocks.IMOP

Replacing the street shocks with a drag type will not improve the 60' or overall times with out upgrading the rest of the suspension.

The relocation brackets and rear drag bar , and drag shocks all effect DD handling worse then the rest of the changes.. The T. arm and fr. connectors improve DD handling. It all depends on how you want the car to handle, how much help the tires need at the hit etc.

Last edited by 1lejohn; 10-18-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1lejohn
How much power are you making or plan on making. I found that frame connectors,T.arm ,and relocation brackets for the rear control arms made the most difference in launching the car. I need to upgrade to a drag bar for the rear. I 'm running the Afco shocks they are ok. The shocks help control the movement of the suspension so really finish all of it then buy shocks.IMOP

Replacing the street shocks with a drag type will not improve the 60' or overall times with out upgrading the rest of the suspension.

The relocation brackets and rear drag bar , and drag shocks all effect DD handling worse then the rest of the changes.. The T. arm and fr. connectors improve DD handling. It all depends on how you want the car to handle, how much help the tires need at the hit etc.
Well of course, like anyone else more is never enough hah. I'm going to keep upgrading forever and I realize how important suspension is. So you suggest starting with things like controls arms, subframe connectors, and/or a torque arm first?
Old 10-18-2011, 07:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Marcus,

Please supply us a little detail on the car such as current engine mods, exhaust set up, any suspension items that are installed now. Also any near future mods will help too.

Have you raced the car yet? If so what did you experience?

How often does the car see the streets? I assume stock shocks now?

This will help all of us make some recommendations. Thanks!
Ryan
Old 10-18-2011, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello Marcus,

Please supply us a little detail on the car such as current engine mods, exhaust set up, any suspension items that are installed now. Also any near future mods will help too.

Have you raced the car yet? If so what did you experience?

How often does the car see the streets? I assume stock shocks now?

This will help all of us make some recommendations. Thanks!
Ryan

This car is full stock suspension, stock motor, stock exhaust and I'm just starting to build it up. The motor/exhaust will soon be modified. I'm making sure I spend my money correctly. It will be a street/strip car, seeing mostly the street *for now.

Thanks for the help, great customer service pays off!
Old 10-23-2011, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would do frame connectors a 6 pt bar (if serious about racing), and the torque arm first. I have the UMI t arm with the mount off of the trans.

These are the hardest and most expensive mods to do. They help all forms of driving and handling. Then decide on the type of rear control arms and panhard bar.

Drag shocks , relocation brackets ,and rear drag bar last. These effect the handling the most. They are less street , and road course friendly.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

consider some adjustable shocks so you can have good handling on the street also if you aren't full time drag strip.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by garygnu
consider some adjustable shocks so you can have good handling on the street also if you aren't full time drag strip.
If they are dragshocks it doesn't matter if they are adjustable or not, they are still valved to let weight transfer(and likely not gas charged) so your still going to ride and handle much worse then a sport/handling shock.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
If they are dragshocks it doesn't matter if they are adjustable or not, they are still valved to let weight transfer(and likely not gas charged) so your still going to ride and handle much worse then a sport/handling shock.
Yea I've heard the same, everyone says drag shocks are crap for cornering. Not like I care though... I didn't buy a 4th gen for autocross hah. Strictly straight-line.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:55 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

The non adjustable shocks do OK for your budget racer. I have a couple customers that used Strange Single ADJ up front and Comp rears and have got down into the 1.4x range with stock motors auto's and N20. Granted the comps are usually set at the 50/50 setting but are adjustable.

No matter what you do a ton of track time is what is going to help you the best. No one setting is going to be the same for everyone. How ever that is what is nice about the non adjustable items is it takes some of the guessing game out as there is no adjustments to make. Then you start guessing if things could be better if you bought adjustable shocks. (Man how I have been there before)

As far as certain shocks are only good for one thing and not another isn't entirely true, yes your non adjustable 50/50 or 90/10 shocks are not going to help you much but a good shock such as Strange or Afco can be adjusted. I put a set of singles on a car this year that is a spirited driver to see how well they would do for ride and handling and I was rather shocked that they do very well. I was busy with drag racing this year (and work) so I didn't get a chance to see how it did with Auto-x but plan on trying it next season.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

As far as certain shocks are only good for one thing and not another isn't entirely true, yes your non adjustable 50/50 or 90/10 shocks are not going to help you much but a good shock such as Strange or Afco can be adjusted. I put a set of singles on a car this year that is a spirited driver to see how well they would do for ride and handling and I was rather shocked that they do very well. I was busy with drag racing this year (and work) so I didn't get a chance to see how it did with Auto-x but plan on trying it next season.

Koni Sports will work for all types of driving and they are adjustable. Just a thought. They are not the best for drag racing but we ran 10's with 1.5 60's with them.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:47 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 1lejohn

Koni Sports will work for all types of driving and they are adjustable. Just a thought. They are not the best for drag racing but we ran 10's with 1.5 60's with them.
Thank You so much for claryifing this, I have tried to explain this same scenario before with no luck. Sorry for the thread hijack to everyone above especially the OP.
Carl
Old 10-24-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Carl at CRP
Thank You so much for claryifing this, I have tried to explain this same scenario before with no luck. Sorry for the thread hijack to everyone above especially the OP.
Carl
Don't worry about hijacking it, any extra info is sure to please anyone, I learned a bit more about suspension from reading it, so thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drag Shocks?