General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Driverside window won't go down

Old 10-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driverside window won't go down

My drivers side window wont go down, it makes a loud clicking/grinding noise when i hit the button. Pass works fine. Ive only had this car a couple months and im just now gettin around to fixin it. My last Z had some problems with the drivers side motor but i could at least help it down when it would stall. This window wont even budge to crack it. Would this be the motor and if it is what is the best window motor to buy bc i know the stock ones are crap?
Old 10-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

Kinda sounds like the motor, had a similar problem with my 94. The motor went out, and at the same time the rivet that holds the window into the track when it goes up and down broke loose (because someone broke my driver window)

So I say check the motor out, as for brands I don't know.. someone else might be able to chime in and help with that.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

This problem is so chronic that the Mustang guys bring it up all the time. Mine just started slowing down then stopped one day. I could hear clicking in the dash, but the window would not go down. I bought a replacement from Rock Auto for around 26 bucks and had some one put it in for me. It failed again about 2 months later, but turned out that the electrical connector had just popped off the end of the motor assembly. I took it apart myself the second time and pushed the connector on. Try a search on the following for complete instructions: "shbox camaro window motor". The web site gives complete instructions and tips, its not that hard if you have a couple of hours to spare.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,459 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Here are the instructions:

http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

I like the Dorman and Siemens brand motors. AutoZone sells them, I've seen them carry either brand at different times.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys this write up looks very helpful hopefully i can get on it this weekend
Old 10-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Teching In

before installing the new motor, check to ensure that everything's torque'd up. I had a similar issue last year and it turned out that the previous owner put in a new window motor but a couple of the bolts worked themselves loose and the lifting/lowering mechanism wasn't aligned anymore. When I tried to move the window up or down it would make a repetitive loud metal on metal clicking noise from it being in there loose.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a similar but different problem - appears to be intermittent and looks to be the wire connections to the part the switch plugs into. When that electrical connection is working, the window goes up and down with no problem. I tend to wack the door handle to eventually get the connections working.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You can get a new (not rebuilt) Doorman from rockauto.com for $23 with a life time warranty. Which is about half of what the same motor will cost at any of the auto parts stores like auto zone. I have done both of mine over the years and just did one for a friend. No big deal. It takes about 35-40 minutes.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:48 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyEnthusiast
My drivers side window wont go down, it makes a loud clicking/grinding noise when i hit the button. Pass works fine. Ive only had this car a couple months and im just now gettin around to fixin it. My last Z had some problems with the drivers side motor but i could at least help it down when it would stall. This window wont even budge to crack it. Would this be the motor and if it is what is the best window motor to buy bc i know the stock ones are crap?
If you hear grinding, your motor is working and is just fine.

Like Stinkee pointed out, this happens when a replacement motor is bolted in to the regulator and loosens up over time. If you haven't ground things up too much, you can just simply lock-tite the bolts back in place. If its been going on for a while, you may have ground down the gear teeth on the regulator. (In that case, you will have to replace the regulator, which is a major PITA.)

If you get a mirror and flashlight inside the door, you should be able to inspect the carnage.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by xny1989
I have a similar but different problem - appears to be intermittent and looks to be the wire connections to the part the switch plugs into. When that electrical connection is working, the window goes up and down with no problem. I tend to wack the door handle to eventually get the connections working.
This is a classic motor failure due to water infiltration. When you whack the door, you loosen up rust and garbage inside the motor. Go with a replacement Dorman motor (a new design better sealed from the elements) and you should be back in business.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driverside window won't go down