LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8
Old 05-10-2016, 03:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Brake Line Flare Type

Old 10-21-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Brake Line Flare Type

So I am thinking about cutting new brake lines for my Trans Am. The old ones are a bit rusty and I figured it is just cheap insurance. I have a few questions.

What type of flare goes on the brake lines?

What thread nut goes on the brake lines?

What diameter should I use?

Has anyone else done this? Any reccommendations?
Old 10-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

If the lines are rusty then IMO you should just find something to clean them instead of getting into redoing brake lines. It can be a real challenge unless you have experience and a real good cutting/flaring tool. You may find yourself with leaks and other problems after all is said and done.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Agreed. Cutting and flaring lines takes alot of practice and patience, not to mention if you're new at the whole thing the routing and bending of the lines will probably (no offense) look like ***.

In other words, don't fix what ain't broke.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:13 AM
8 Second Club

If you do wind up trying this get a good flaring set, some places have decent one you can rent. If you get a cheap set it will make it that much harder to get the proper flare.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you really want to try brake line work can I suggest you first try and install a line lock. It will give you a tiny little taste of what you are not going to want to get into.

I would just say start by mocking things up and do not cut anything on the car till you are comfortable and ready and have made a few little pieces for the line lock already.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Dude do yourself a favor and get some lines off of another car. I removed my ABS system and had to reflare all 5 lines to fit inside my new distribution block. I HAD TO REDO IT 3 TIMES BECAUSE OF LEAKS. I EVEN HAD TO BUY ANOTHER $100 DIST. BLOCK BECAUSE I SCREWED THE FIRST ONE UP. WHAT A PAIN IN THE ***, THAT WAS ONE HELL OF A NIGHTMARE...
Old 10-21-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been working on putting new rear brake lines on my 9" that I'm installing...What a pain in the ***. I ordered the new rubber hoses that go from the main brake line going to the rear and the two that go to each caliper.

Well the connection at the center of the axle is a standard 3/8th brake line connection you can get at any autoparts store. HOWEVER the connection on the hoses that go to each caliper is a metric "bubble" flare fitting. Which turns out to be next to impossible to find. Here is a link to it at rock auto:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=588251

Now I'm not 100% that this is the correct fitting as I havent gotten my hands on one yet, but I have two ordered and am pretty damn sure it is correct.

I have no clue about the fittings on the front brakes but they may be the same.

Last edited by Valkyn; 10-21-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1FirebirdSLP
So I am thinking about cutting new brake lines for my Trans Am. The old ones are a bit rusty and I figured it is just cheap insurance. I have a few questions.

What type of flare goes on the brake lines?

What thread nut goes on the brake lines?

What diameter should I use?

Has anyone else done this? Any reccommendations?
Pre Assembled brake lines can be found at any auto store in various sizes and lengths. You'll just have to match them up.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The right tool is crucial, especially for flaring. this is the one I have. http://www.amazon.com/MasterCool-Uni.../dp/B00063YR2I

after suffering with the cheap crap a few times, I said screw it and made an investment, it's not cheap and no regrets. i can do perfect double flares now every time and very quickly.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by merim123
The right tool is crucial, especially for flaring. this is the one I have. http://www.amazon.com/MasterCool-Uni.../dp/B00063YR2I

after suffering with the cheap crap a few times, I said screw it and made an investment, it's not cheap and no regrets. i can do perfect double flares now every time and very quickly.
"You gotta pay to play!" Comes into mind. That is a Beautiful set! I almost wish i had the need to spend that much money on it hahaha
Old 10-22-2011, 08:52 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merim123

yes that is the one i have as well works awesome!! i re-did every brake line and every rubber line(replaced with braided stainless) and added a line lock and portioning valve so all together i think i did 16 double flares on my car(if not more) it was very time consuming and i really spent the time to do it right(all the bending ect. it took all of 2 days for sure... but it was totally worth it. also if your a rookie i probably wouldnt try it.. esp without the right tools. the line u would need its 3/16 btw
Old 10-22-2011, 09:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The rear line is a single 1/4", the front line is dual 3/16".
Old 10-22-2011, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Making brake lines for a while now, I've found a trick you can do. You can form a "bubble flare" that seals just fine using a standard inverted flare tool. Instead of putting the line with the end on the recessed side of the line clamp, put the end on the flat side of the clamp and only do the 1st step of the inverted flare (that being with the little fitting you use). I've done every single Corvette and F-Body line lock I've sold this way as well as my own personal cars and haven't had a leak or failure yet.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

on the 4 channel cars, they are all 3/16" front and back and there are 4 as on my 96 had two lines going back.

I think 95 and pre have 3/16" up front and only the one 1/4" line going to the back.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

I would consider myself pretty intermediate to advanced in skills/knowledge. I think I am going to go with buying that flaring kit off amazon. I really want to do it right, take my time, and make it look good. I would much rather take all winter to make my car exactly the way I want than rush to finish for a couple weeks in the beginning of fall.

Question 2: What is the standard method of mounting brake lines to the body? Any particular type of fastener?

Question 3: Any tips or tricks on the actual flaring and bending process? Anyone recommend a particular bender?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Line Flare Type