General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

daytime running light bulb replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 05:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default daytime running light bulb replacement

stupid noob question....but here it goes...

how do i replace the bulbs on my daytime running lights??
Old 05-05-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Right infront of your front tires there are 2 bolts that you remove and a door opens up and look up and the socket should be right there. Just twist it and pull the bulb out.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Having had to do this more than a few times, I can give you some tips:

-access via the door under the car (as stated above)
-remove the burnt out bulb, and carefully inspect the connector for damage or corrosion (due to a really stupid design, the bulb comes in to the lens from below, so any water in the lens winds up in the connector at the bottom)
-put some dialectic grease on the connector/base of the bulb to seal out moisture
-carefully inspect the lens for cracks or holes, which would allow in moisture, leading to premature bulb failure
-make sure you don't leave any greasy fingerprints on the bulb, which will cause a hot spot, leading to a premature failure of the bulb

I had to replace both of my turn signal/DRL lenses, due to cracks, which were letting water get in. Since then, I haven't had to replace the bulbs.

------------------
edit: just noticed you have a Camaro. I have a Trans Am. So, your DRL/turnsignal bulbs may or may not be the same as mine.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

bringing this back...where can i get replacement housings/lenses for my T/A running lights?
Old 10-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by arapitis
bringing this back...where can i get replacement housings/lenses for my T/A running lights?
I got these, they are much better than the garbage GM made for us. Glass and nice and clear colored. Sealed too, unlike the GM ones, so moisture shouldn't build up inside. Mine have been on for almost 2 years and I've never seen moisture inside. Thats whats going to keep the socket from getting water in them and burning out.

http://www.amazon.com/Pontiac-Trans-...9306454&sr=8-1

Then you want to get two EL12 flashers...auto parts storee....$12.00. And then buy some LED bulbs that never get hot and should last ALLOT longer than regular bulbs, if not forever. And they look much cooler when they are on and when they blink. ((video below))

Go here. Scroll down till you see this:
"NEW" 48 Led Switchback Two Colors - One Bulb "NEW"
Its pretty far down the page....$14.99 each. Get the "Amber-White" 3157
***Its the crazy heat from the reular bulbs that also causes the GM housings (plastic) to crack and get briddle over time, allowing more moisture to get in and look like ****. These should last forever, unless a rock hits it. These LED bulbs have no heat.***

http://autolumination.com/3157_3156.htm

Video: see how they blink from bright WHITE back to AMBER. And when the headlights are on, the DRL's are WHITE to match all the other lights.

http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/n...lashersvid.mp4

Last edited by LS6427; 10-22-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

what the first guy said

Quick Reply: daytime running light bulb replacement