Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Strange S-Trac

Old 10-19-2011, 02:58 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Strange S-Trac

Getting it done over the weekend.

This differential from Strange has taken all kinds of abuse from us for the past couple of years and been working flawlessly.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm assuming this is not a 12-bolt option?
Old 10-19-2011, 04:14 PM
Launching!

Cant wait for my new setup from you
The following users liked this post:
lawrenq (02-20-2020)
Old 10-19-2011, 05:41 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

35 spline 9" Ford and Dana 60 only at this time... the one in the pic is the original test unit and still living after being beat on pretty hard with a M6 Nitrous car on slicks!
Old 10-21-2011, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice!!! Any chance you can give us a ballpark price?
Old 10-24-2011, 10:17 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Retail on the Strange S-Trac is $995.

It was put to a beating this weekend once again. It has been working flawlessly for us.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:06 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

The S-Trac does carry a limited lifetime warranty as well.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's the difference between a detroit locker and the s-trac for the S60 rear? My car is a dd with drag race duty most weekends and I have a 383 with nitrous and a t56, currently the car has a true trac but I want to go to a locker but this wavetrac option sounds promising.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:11 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 97Z28SS
What's the difference between a detroit locker and the s-trac for the S60 rear? My car is a dd with drag race duty most weekends and I have a 383 with nitrous and a t56, currently the car has a true trac but I want to go to a locker but this wavetrac option sounds promising.
It would be hard to explain all the difference between a Detroit locker and a Strange S-Trac which shouldn't be confused with a Wavetrac because they are different manufactures and the Wavetrac doesn't offer anything at this time for the S-60 as were Strange does offer their S-Trac for the S-60.

Best way to separate them is through comfort of using. The Detroit locker is a very harsh operating differential especially in a M6 car the way it locks and releases as were the Strange S-Trac feels very much like a stock posi unit feels.

I hope this helps some.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, well is the S-trac the same as a wavetrac or is it more like the trutrac?
Old 11-11-2011, 01:37 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Thanks, well is the S-trac the same as a wavetrac or is it more like the trutrac?
They are comparable in function and warranty. The S-trac is designed for higher HP applications.

Last edited by MidwestChassis; 11-11-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

so im guessing the s-trac with the dana 60 would be cheaper than the moser 9 with s-trac but just as strong?and heavier?im looking for something to handle 700rwhp for the street and track and not spend over $2500 with a ds!
Old 11-11-2011, 03:47 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by blackls1ta00
so im guessing the s-trac with the dana 60 would be cheaper than the moser 9 with s-trac but just as strong?and heavier?im looking for something to handle 700rwhp for the street and track and not spend over $2500 with a ds!
You won't get a S-Trac with a Moser nine inch but you will get it in a MWC fabricated nine inch. The S-60 S-trac is not comparable to the S-Trac for a 9". The 9" version is designed for high HP vehicles as were the S-60 version is designed to take abuse but not as much as their nine inch version.

So to answer your question you will not be getting as strong of a version of the S-trac in their S-60 as you would in a nine inch version. There was some confusion while they were manufacturing the nine inch version and they actually just set the record straight letting us know the differences between the nine inch version and the S-60 version. The S-60 version is still comparable to a Truetrac.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:43 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

The S-trac, Wavetrac, and Truetrac diffs are all helical gear design, preloaded but non-locking diff units. They all function the same internally, but are completely different from a Detroit Locker, and are very smooth operating similar to a stock posi unit.

A locker is locked up like a spool until the forces of different rear wheel speeds causes the unit to lock/unlock rapidly. This lock/unlock function is what makes the popping noise and is the cause of the unwanted driveability symptoms, especially with the M6 trans.

The difference between the S-Trac/Wavetrac and Truetrac is the type of material the units are actually constructed from, the warranty, and spline count. The S-Trac is available in 35 spline, the Wavetrac is available in either 31 or 35. Axle spline count does not cost any different so why not just get the stronger 35? The S-Trac and Wavetrac come with limited lifetime warranty, the Truetrac does not. If you break one Truetrac, the cost of replacement plus the cost of the original broken unit will exceed the initial cost of the S-Trac or Wavetrac.

We have sold countless units of all of these diffs and the best policy is to get the customer the right diff for the application. This comes from spending alot of time with our customers on the phone and we drive/race the products we sell. We offer just about any diff unit out there with our 9" center sections. Spool, Billet clutch type posi, Truetrac, Detroit Locker, Wavetrac, and the S-Trac. If you choose to buy a Moser 9" rearend from us, then we can get any diff unit in it, including the S-Trac. Nothing better than real world experience... saves you money in the end.

Last edited by ssvert99; 11-12-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ssvert99
The difference between the S-Trac/Wavetrac and Truetrac is the type of material the units are actually constructed from, the warranty, and spline count. The S-Trac is available in 35 spline, the Wavetrac is available in either 31 or 35. Axle spline count does not cost any different so why not just get the stronger 35? The S-Trac and Wavetrac come with limited lifetime warranty, the Truetrac does not.

So if you can get them both in the stronger 35 spline there really isn't any difference between the s-trac & Wavetrac? I called today and whoever was helping me didn't know the difference between the two......I got a kick out of that one.

I had more questions but he had to go for whatever reason, took my number and never called me back. Who can I ask for next time that can give me a little more information?
Old 04-30-2013, 06:56 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Sorry about the lack of instant info on the phone... We are still in the middle of moving into our new facility and I am not available all the time. The guy answering the phone is pretty good, and busy to say the least, but not quite up to speed with all the fine details of all the differences of the 1000s of parts we deal with yet.

There are minor internal differences between the two units, but for the most part it is a very similar unit. Same type of helical gear design(as is a Truetrac) is incorporated with both, and are made with premium materials. A lifetime warranty rounds out the big picture and is obviously part of the cost. I have had my hands on all of them, including the units from Strange that never made it to the public. Both the S-Trac and the Wavetrac are great units and are by far the wisest choice for the higher powered street cars. The S-Trac is a bit lighter than the Wavetrac.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok, sounds like the S-track is the better option then. Thanks!
Old 05-01-2013, 03:51 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry about the lack of instant info on the phone... We are still in the middle of moving into our new facility and I am not available all the time. The guy answering the phone is pretty good, and busy to say the least, but not quite up to speed with all the fine details of all the differences of the 1000s of parts we deal with yet.

There are minor internal differences between the two units, but for the most part it is a very similar unit. Same type of helical gear design(as is a Truetrac) is incorporated with both, and are made with premium materials. A lifetime warranty rounds out the big picture and is obviously part of the cost. I have had my hands on all of them, including the units from Strange that never made it to the public. Both the S-Trac and the Wavetrac are great units and are by far the wisest choice for the higher powered street cars. The S-Trac is a bit lighter than the Wavetrac.

Is the S-Trac MUCH more of a drag race/60' oriented diff (as far as bias/corner exit locking goes) than the Wavetrac (which as I understand it is a more handling/turning oriented diff)???

Or are they equals in this respect (handling/cornering), with the S-Trac just being stronger overall?
Old 05-03-2013, 11:09 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I haven't had any negative feedback from the customers we have that are using the S-Trac for handling/cornering use, so I consider no news good news. Both units are aggressively preloaded so the unloaded tire during cornering should still get power.

I wouldn't really call the S-Trac "stronger overall"... That is probably a matter of opinion there. They are both very durable units and have proven themselves. Can they be broken... sure. You get to a certain point with items and at some point you simply have to accept using a spool.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:09 PM
12 Second Club

I haven't had any negative feedback from the customers we have that are using the S-Trac for handling/cornering use, so I consider no news good news. Both units are aggressively preloaded so the unloaded tire during cornering should still get power.

I wouldn't really call the S-Trac "stronger overall"... That is probably a matter of opinion there. They are both very durable units and have proven themselves. Can they be broken... sure. You get to a certain point with items and at some point you simply have to accept using a spool.
True, but one should NEVER need a spool if they NEVER, EVER plan to launch/60' on wide wrinkle walls with >600 to the wheels, correct?? (There are people road racing/open tracking with upwards of 700 rwhp on worm gear type diffs.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange S-Trac