Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Lighting: Attached open carport

Old 11-14-2011, 12:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Lighting: Attached open carport

Looking to purchase some lights so I can work a bit better, especially at night.

It is a covered attached carport.. The only mounting option I have Is the ceiling unless it is something that is removable without damage, then I have the ceiling and the wall directly in front of the car, ceiling would be best I believe though. Other than that I can use some type of light on a stand or the like. I of course have a drop light but It gets in the way a lot.

I went to home depot and looked at some lights.. Had what looked like some good deals. Mostly 4' t5? Whatever that means fluorescent light bars. Prices varied from 25-50$.

I do not want to spend over 100$ if possible.. Not mandatory but I think I can achieve ample lighting with that budget.

Any input/info is appreciated.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I work under 4' x 4 bulb fixtures (1 per bay x 3 bays) and they provide ample lighting, especially when they are positioned over your shoulders. However, it still tends to leave the underside of the car pretty dim so a drop light is still needed there.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I work under 4' x 4 bulb fixtures (1 per bay x 3 bays) and they provide ample lighting, especially when they are positioned over your shoulders. However, it still tends to leave the underside of the car pretty dim so a drop light is still needed there.
It's a large 1 car.. I was thinking two 4' fixtures would do the trick. Both a couple feet just past the nose of the car and the inside of the light starting at the headlights. That way even while I'm in front of the car the shadow would be minimal and it would clear the hood being up.

Do you have a suggestion on the bulb type?
Old 11-14-2011, 01:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm running the older style (bigger type). I think its a t4. I picked up some that were some kind of soft glow and they put out a very pleasant "white" light. Clarity is excellent. They were a little pricier then a standard bulb. And btw, one 4' x 4 fixture is plenty for under the hood, especially with the upgraded bulbs. Shadows are almost non-existent from what I've seen.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm sorry they are the t12 bulbs....something "cool white". This is basically the fixtures I am using but with the older t12 style bulbs.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...03&R=100180403

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 11-14-2011 at 01:42 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

I found this helpful:

http://lightingsolutions.ca/index.ph...d=25&Itemid=26
Old 11-14-2011, 02:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Awesome info as usual man.. Looks like I will be going to pick up a single t8 tomorrow.. Should be less than 45$.
I will see how that does and if need be, ill pick one more fixture up by it sounds like that will be sufficient lighting.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have no experience with the T8s but I'm sure they won't disappoint. Im needing to upgrade my fixtures one day soon, so I may move up to the T8s to see how I like them. I would get maximum fixture for my money though. I like the 4' x 4 bulb setup. If you position it where it is kinda over your shoulder that works out very well. My main one is about 2 feet infront of the tip of the front bumper (where I park the car to work on it) and about 1 foot from the edge of my work table (positioned in front of the car) and the lighting is damn near perfect in that bay. The diffusers behind the light are what helps eliminate the shadows. I think you will like going with a "cool white" type bulb. I noticed the clarity immediately. Helps you see fine detail.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have no experience with the T8s but I'm sure they won't disappoint. Im needing to upgrade my fixtures one day soon, so I may move up to the T8s to see how I like them. I would get maximum fixture for my money though. I like the 4' x 4 bulb setup. If you position it where it is kinda over your shoulder that works out very well. My main one is about 2 feet infront of the tip of the front bumper (where I park the car to work on it) and about 1 foot from the edge of my work table (positioned in front of the car) and the lighting is damn near perfect in that bay. The diffusers behind the light are what helps eliminate the shadows. I think you will like going with a "cool white" type bulb. I noticed the clarity immediately. Helps you see fine detail.
Sounds like what your car position, work bench, and light layout is, mine will be almost Identical.

I'll give you my input in a few days on the t8 and try to get a cool white. It will be nice to finally not have to use the drop light/flash light for everything!! No shadows with just the one fixture will be awesome. I'm not too worried if I have to pick up one more fixture though. 80$ for awesome lighting is not bad at all.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Because I have a 3 bay setup, the previous owner spaced the lights out. I work in the middle bay, and the end bays have their lighting on the opposite end and slightly higher up (slanted roof/ceiling). The lighting in those two bays is crap. Huge shadows if you were to pop the hoods of the cars parked there. The lights in those bays are kinda positioned over the cars rear seats. So, placement is crucial. How high is the ceiling in the carport? If its above 9 feet or so can I suggest you hang the light lower then the actual ceiling? Lighting height and placement are going to be the two factors on whether you are happy with what you bought or not.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Another cheap option to consider for directional light is a flood light. The fixtures for a dual bulb are less then $10 and bulbs shouldn't be but a few buck apiece. You could do 2 double fixtures, kinda at the front corners, aim two at your work table and two at the nose of the car and that would work well also. You would be out about $30 for that setup. They have CFL flood light bulbs now also. I run them on the rear of the house all night every night.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Because I have a 3 bay setup, the previous owner spaced the lights out. I work in the middle bay, and the end bays have their lighting on the opposite end and slightly higher up (slanted roof/ceiling). The lighting in those two bays is crap. Huge shadows if you were to pop the hoods of the cars parked there. The lights in those bays are kinda positioned over the cars rear seats. So, placement is crucial. How high is the ceiling in the carport? If its above 9 feet or so can I suggest you hang the light lower then the actual ceiling? Lighting height and placement are going to be the two factors on whether you are happy with what you bought or not.
Ceiling height is only about 1' higher than the hood at its tallest point when open.8' maybe, never measured so I'm not sure.
I will test/mock it a few times before actually installing it.. Measure twice, cu.... err, hang once! Lol

Another cheap option to consider for directional light is a flood light. The fixtures for a dual bulb are less then $10 and bulbs shouldn't be but a few buck apiece. You could do 2 double fixtures, kinda at the front corners, aim two at your work table and two at the nose of the car and that would work well also. You would be out about $30 for that setup. They have CFL flood light bulbs now also. I run them on the rear of the house all night every night.
I have a motion/flood light currently out there pointed directly at the car/out the back of the car port. It wouldn't hurt upgrading it however as its old and wore out.. I guess the motion sensor is crapping out?

I considered buying one of these as well: http://www.airsoft-malta.com/images/...ood-lights.jpg

However, I was trying to avoid adding anything I had to step over/around. If I can get the same light output without adding objects to manuever around it would be preferred.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hang a 4'x4 T8 fixture where we talked about and on an 8 foot ceiling and very, very little extra lighting will be needed. None under the hood at all.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

T5's and forget about it. They are awesome!!
Old 11-29-2011, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

I went with 1 4' double T-8 "day light" setup.. It is about 8' off of the ground, 3' in front of my work bench, and 1-2' in front of the nose of the car while I'm working on it.

The lighting is AWESOME! Virtually no shadows... You can KIND of see where it "dims" a tad when I'm directly in front of the car and bend over (head would be where the TB is) but it most certainly is not enough to hinder sight.

I am going to get 1 more small light setup for my work bench as I sometimes need it extremely bright to see details. I also am going to get one more dual 500W halogen setup on a tripod stand. 1. so I can move the lighting around 2. so the height can be adjusted

The one 4' T-8 setup is definitely a HUGE improvement and HIGHLY recommended.. 2 4' T-8s would make it light day light.
It was meant to be hard wired but I bought the conversion so I could plug it in so I can take the light down if I like.

I will get a picture of the setup later on tonight probably and post it up. Best purchase in a while!!
Thanks again Steve.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm definitely changing mine out soon as well. I'm a stickler for well lit work areas.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lights

In my 17'x18' "shop/mess" I have 10 4'x2 bulb T-12 fixtures with old school magnetic ballasts (I like AM and the electronic ones mess up the reception) that are running full spectrum bulbs. 3 are on separate switches that light benches the others are on whenever I am in the place. The full spectrum bulbs make a huge difference in the quality of the lighting - they are brighter as well. The amount of light with all of them on is amazing, just great for welding.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Whats a full spectrum bulb?
Old 12-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default These are

Whats a full spectrum bulb?
I am using some of these, very similar to 5500K 'sunshine' bulbs. http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com...lbs_33_ctg.htm
Don't confuse these with those nasty blue 'daylight' bulbs that are 6500K. Sunlight is 5500K or 5900K depending on who you ask.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lighting: Attached open carport