Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Passenger Rear clunking=bad hub?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Passenger Rear clunking=bad hub?

I'm getting a clunking sound from the passenger rear wheel. I noticed there's a lot of play in and out when I push and pull on the wheel. Is this a bad hub or bearing? If so, does anybody know the part number?
Old 11-12-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A slight amount of in-and-out play is ok. If it were the bearing, you'd prolly hear some squealing or grinding...if that is the case, your axle may be damaged too. The bearing and seal are cheap and can be replaced in a coupla hours
Old 11-12-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the clunking happening all the time? Or only when turning?
Old 11-13-2011, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

You've probably already done so, but double check your LCAs. When that happened to me, a bushing had failed and the control arm was allowing that side of the rear to bounce around, making clunking noises whe I hit bumps.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the responses guys.

VinR1--Not really hearing squealing or grinding. I'd say the wheels move about 1/4 inch in and out when I test them.

1Bad--The main time I notice it is when I'm slowing down to stop. It's more of a thump-thump sound that matches the wheel speed.

themeal--Good suggestion. My LCAs should be good. I checked pretty much all of my rear suspension components. I didn't find any issues until I got to the axel/bearings.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happens when slowing? Coasting or braking?
Old 11-13-2011, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
You've probably already done so, but double check your LCAs. When that happened to me, a bushing had failed and the control arm was allowing that side of the rear to bounce around, making clunking noises whe I hit bumps.
Originally Posted by 1BAD02WS6
Happens when slowing? Coasting or braking?
Both. I'm not saying that's the only time it happens. That's just when I can actually hear it. I also get a lot of vibration over 60 mph. I'm not sure if the two are related, or if it's two separate issues. I'm thinking hub centric spacers should take care of the vibration.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:15 AM
Launching!

Time to replace the bearings on the ends.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:41 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like a bearing to me. There are rearend rebuild kits out there. This should fix your issue.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-14-2011, 05:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

There is no rear hub on this car. It's simply a bearing that the axle shaft rides in. And it has nothing what-so-ever to do with in and out play. That's a function of how the c-clip and the end of the axle fit in the differential.

Furthermore if the bearings were that bad, you'd more than likely have a pretty bad leak since that much play would tear up the outer seal.

A thumping would make me think that it's more of a tire thing, maybe a nail or screw in one. Could it be a bearing? It could... but that's not exactly a common symptom of a bad wheel bearing.

Have you tried jacking the car up and seeing what kind of noise, if any, it makes when you turn it? And do you have any fore/aft or up and down (not in and out that's not abnormal on a c-clipped rear) play?

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-14-2011, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

I have a bad noise there too but maybe are my LCas because my bearing is in good shape, is this noise common with adjustable lcas??
Old 11-14-2011, 05:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

They can and do make noise. Some worse than others. Particularly rod-ended LCA's as even a few thousandths of slop in a rod-end will make a clunk. Also the little tiny difference between the 1/2" ID sleeve most use and the 12mm bolt that GM uses can cause noise issues.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-14-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
There is no rear hub on this car. It's simply a bearing that the axle shaft rides in. And it has nothing what-so-ever to do with in and out play. That's a function of how the c-clip and the end of the axle fit in the differential.

Furthermore if the bearings were that bad, you'd more than likely have a pretty bad leak since that much play would tear up the outer seal.

A thumping would make me think that it's more of a tire thing, maybe a nail or screw in one. Could it be a bearing? It could... but that's not exactly a common symptom of a bad wheel bearing.

Have you tried jacking the car up and seeing what kind of noise, if any, it makes when you turn it? And do you have any fore/aft or up and down (not in and out that's not abnormal on a c-clipped rear) play?
Thanks Sam. I realized there was no rear hub as I continued to research the issue. I just didn't bother editing the original post.

I don't really have any other play in the wheels other than in/out. I had the wheels up yesterday. The only noise I noticed was a clunk in the rear end when I spin the wheels from a stop.

Quick Reply: Passenger Rear clunking=bad hub?