Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E Problems

Old 11-11-2011, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 4L60E Problems

I've had 3 different 4L60E's in my car and they've all randomly exhibited a 3-4 clutch pack failure symptom - mis-shifting or "upshifting" instead of downshifting from a roll at moderate to full throttle. The first two transmissions died. The third one I still have in the car and is a pretty well built one, which should be able to handle the stock or less-than-stock amount of power that the engine in my car is putting out - and the issue is starting to come back.

We have ruled out the PCM tune as the issue - as the issue happened when on stock shift tables.

I'm starting to wonder if something else could be causing this, such as a bad sensor somewhere?

The TPS readings were fine, but I replaced the TPS sensor anyways. No change in the symptom.

Any other ideas?? Or am I just really unlucky and there's something wrong with this new trans as well?

Last edited by ZexGX; 11-11-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driver

I used to go through 700R4s in my 383 IROC quite often.

I shifted that thing like a manual though, never being one to back down from a revving competitor.

I've had really good luck with my 4L60E, other than that one time that my deep pan, eibach springs and pothole combination didn't play nice together.

You can buy just a 3/4 clutch pack that uses more clutches than stock.

I've never tried it myself but that could hold up a bit better.

Do you have any tuning done, such as shift timing or pressure changes?
Old 11-14-2011, 03:40 PM
12 Second Club

Bump? Any other random ideas?
Old 11-14-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been through 2 in a years time. I manually shift it when slowing down, passing if above 30mph, take to tack 4 times a mth. they were both a stock A4. My trans pressure is boosted in the computer and i think that what is killing my 3/4 clutch pack. It is been the 3/4 clutch pack both times. Then you will lose 2nd etc......
Old 11-15-2011, 03:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regardless of what clutches or line pressure is used or assigned the 3/4 clutches will fail first in a well built unit. However, they should last a more than a year or two in a rowdy combination that gets spanked alot.

There is much, much more to it than just installing the good parts guys. There are some builders that are better than others with these units because they specialize in them and constantly push the R&D envelope with them.

I would suggest that if the OP's tranny has been in there a short while at that power level then it's time for a new builder. If it has been in there for a few years, then it's just outlived it's usefulness and simply in need of a freshen up and the latest updates installed that will help it go even farther next time.

g
Old 11-15-2011, 06:02 PM
12 Second Club

The first time I experienced it was about 1.5 weeks & 300-400 miles after installation. My car is at stock LS1 power levels right now, and the builder is well-known in the area for being the "go-to" shop for 4L60Es. It may have been a random fluke. I will update this thread if it happens again.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are several upgrades that need to be done to a transmission when it is rebuilt. Most often the 3/4 clutch packs' failure comes from a timing issue from the band coming off and on. The band applies in second and fourth gear. That means that going into third the band comes off and the 3/4 pack applies. If the band comes off too early then the trans very quicly goes back into 1st gear while the 3/4 pack is still applying, meaning a heafty shift and hard on the 3/4 pack. If the band stays on too late the trans goes into 4th gear for a slight second being hard on the 3/4 pack again. I tell you this to expalin a couple parts. Sonnax makes a 2-4 servo tube that helps exhaust that fluid applying the band faster. Aslo Alto and raybestos makes a nice 3/4 pack that increases the number of clutches in this pack making it stronger. In all my 4l60's i set the alto 3/4 pack up tight from (.030-.020). Also a high rev spring kit helps with this issue. Also a good shift kit is in order. If your trans guy would put those parts in it and set up that 3/4 pack tight i think this would solve your issue. (only set up the 3/4 pack tight if it is a high perform one, If it only has the stock 6 clutches then only oem specs)
Old 11-18-2011, 11:13 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bigmac108
There are several upgrades that need to be done to a transmission when it is rebuilt. Most often the 3/4 clutch packs' failure comes from a timing issue from the band coming off and on. The band applies in second and fourth gear. That means that going into third the band comes off and the 3/4 pack applies. If the band comes off too early then the trans very quicly goes back into 1st gear while the 3/4 pack is still applying, meaning a heafty shift and hard on the 3/4 pack. If the band stays on too late the trans goes into 4th gear for a slight second being hard on the 3/4 pack again. I tell you this to expalin a couple parts. Sonnax makes a 2-4 servo tube that helps exhaust that fluid applying the band faster. Aslo Alto and raybestos makes a nice 3/4 pack that increases the number of clutches in this pack making it stronger. In all my 4l60's i set the alto 3/4 pack up tight from (.030-.020). Also a high rev spring kit helps with this issue. Also a good shift kit is in order. If your trans guy would put those parts in it and set up that 3/4 pack tight i think this would solve your issue. (only set up the 3/4 pack tight if it is a high perform one, If it only has the stock 6 clutches then only oem specs)
Thank you, I will check the tuning in the mean-time. These are the specs...
Hardened pump rings
Servo D ring kit instead of Teflon
New Accumulator Pistons
Modified Pump Assembly
Oversized Boost Valve
High Quality Overhaul Kit, Frictions and Bushings
Custom Shift kit
Borg Warner dual cage 29 element Input Sprag
Corvette 2nd gear Servo kit
Wide rear sun gear bushing
Heavy duty sun gear shell “The Beast”
High energy 2-4 Band
High Energy 7 friction clutch pack with full thickness Kolene Steels
Teflon Pump Bushing and Extension Housing Bushing
Built with Performance Tolerances and Lube Modifications
Old 11-08-2012, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there - read through your post and your 4L60E problems... you may want to compare your problems against this list of troubleshooting tips for the 4L60E. This is a very useful guide and I think it may help you out: http://www.twincharlotte.com/transmi...r-Charlotte-NC
Old 11-14-2012, 12:04 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry bud. Have already seen that link and it didn't help. This issue was over a year ago. The root cause was a shitty trans tune from a tuner that recently retired. I met a few other customers of his and they were also having 4L60E issues almost identical to mine. I bought HP Tuners and compared his trans tune to a stock F-body trans tune and it was all tweaked and changed. My new trans shifts fine now with a tune from Cunningham Motorsports (in SoCal).
Old 11-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you had it all resolve good luck with your new trans.

Thank You,
"Mad Dog" Lou

Mad Dog Transmissions
Phone 770-781-0949
Fax 770-781-0969

Web: www.maddogtransmissions.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/maddogtransmissions
Twitter: www.twitter.com/maddoglou
YouTube: www.youtube.com/maddogtransmissions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4L60E Problems