Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e transgo shift kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e transgo shift kit?

Are they any good? What exactly do they do? Just looking to find out If theyre worth the 80 bucks lol thanks guys
Old 12-14-2011, 08:03 PM
10 Second Club

id like to know also
Old 12-14-2011, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

The Trans-Go HD2 kit seems like the one to go to. You'll find lots of experienced builders prefer to use it in their builds. Everything I have heard says its a good kit. The issue with buying a "shift kit" is that it has to be installed properly. I found after I purchased one, that lots of local trans shops said they would not disassemble the trans without freshening it. They did not feel comfortable installing the kit in a 100k trans without replacing the clutches and making sure everything was within spec (while replacing what wasn't). I ended up selling it, and letting my tuner tweak my shifts in the tune. That worked fine for a few years until I got a built trans which has an HD2 kit installed.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:59 PM
Banned

Shifts faster and harder. The stock a4 shifts sloooooooooow.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

It'll do that with tuning too
Old 12-16-2011, 07:43 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I'm no trans expert, but have installed the TransGo HD2 shift kit, studied it carefully, the theory behind shift kits and am familiar with tuning.
Tuning only lets you change the percentage of maximum pressure that the entire transmission has during shifts; it cannot change the relative pressure in different hydraulic lines.
First the HD2 shift kits includes a new regulator/boost valve which increases the maximum pressure for the entire trans. This lets all actions take place faster.
Next, the springs in the accumulators are firmed up so that the various clutches are activated faster, firming up shifts and reducing potentially damaging slippage. Several firmness options are available.
Next, several holes in the separator plate are made larger so that more fluid can reach several clutches in a short period of time; again this firms the shifts and reduces slippage. I suspect some mods also let some clutches release faster to reduce wear during shifts.
The TransGo includes clever shims to adjust the 2/4 band; again to minimize damaging slippage during shifts.
The TransGo kit includes modified valves for the valve body; their purpose is way beyond me.
Last the TransGo kit includes a different 1-2 shift valve so that you can downshift into any gear from any speed; I chose not to install that.
For higher HP applications you want a shift kit to firm up the shifts, not only for performance, but because slow (GrandMa friendly) shifts cause more wear on the friction clutches and band.
Again, I'm no expert, but that is as I understand it.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:46 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Great summary, mrvedit. A lot of folks don't understand that the HD-2 kit makes hydraulic and mechanical alterations that tuning alone cannot accomplish. Combined with tuning - faster shift times, reducing or eliminating torque management, adjusting lock-up speeds and shift points - performance can really be improved.

The kicker is that the tranny has to come out of the car to do the full install, and as mentioned above, the install takes you only a couple of steps away from refreshing hard parts.

It is worth doing IMO if the tranny is coming out of car for a converter install, is in proper working order, and has fairly low miles.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by RevGTO
The kicker is that the tranny has to come out of the car to do the full install, and as mentioned above, the install takes you only a couple of steps away from refreshing hard parts.
First, thank you for the kind words about my summary.

However, the trans often does not need to be removed to install a shift kit. Primarily the valve body needs to be removed. Updating the 2/4 Servo is the "gotcha". If there is enough clearance on the side, the trans does not need to be removed; otherwise it needs to at least be dropped down a bit, which might only require removing the drive shaft and trans mounting crossmember.

BTW - In addition to installing the TransGo HD-2 kit, many will also install a better 2/4 servo. The Corvette one is only $20 and a billet one is about $100. These servos have a larger piston area so that the 2/4 band is applied more firmly. Otherwise with 400+ HP, the band might slip and quickly wear out.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

dont forget........f bods already have the vette servo
Old 12-29-2011, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
dont forget........f bods already have the vette servo
Hmmm, interesting and news to me. I assume you are referring to '98 - '02 Camaros. Older LT1 engine Camaros also had the 4L60E trans; do you think/know if they also had the vette servo?
Since I'm an engine/trans swapper and buy things on CL, I assume nothing.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvedit
However, the trans often does not need to be removed to install a shift kit.
I know that it can be installed with tranny in the car, but when talking to my installer, I recall him saying that it's best with the tranny out so the pump can come out. I don't remember the term for the spring or whatever that's installed with the pump out. That's why I said "full install."
Old 12-29-2011, 11:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

my 2000 had a vette servo...............dont know if LT1s had it
Old 12-29-2011, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

yes the TG has parts that need dis-assembly of the entire tranny to install.........but i think they are meant ONLY if the tranny is out........
Old 12-29-2011, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Hmmm, interesting and news to me. I assume you are referring to '98 - '02 Camaros. Older LT1 engine Camaros also had the 4L60E trans; do you think/know if they also had the vette servo?
Since I'm an engine/trans swapper and buy things on CL, I assume nothing.
All Z/28 4l60/4l60e cars had them as far as I know, my '93 has one.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I know that it can be installed with tranny in the car, but when talking to my installer, I recall him saying that it's best with the tranny out so the pump can come out. I don't remember the term for the spring or whatever that's installed with the pump out. That's why I said "full install."
Your rebuilder wisely wanted to put new parts into the pump assembly, perhaps to ensure it could deliver the higher oil pressure. However this is not part of any shift kit.

sjsingle1: The HD2 kit has an optional step to plug up the bleed holes in the Reverse Input Piston - but only if the trans is apart. I think mine also came replacement springs for the spring cage, again optional if the trans is apart.

Assuming the 2/4 servo can be removed, all main steps of the HD2 kit can be completed with the trans in the car.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

removing the 2/4 servo is a tight fit.......IMO not worth messing with either with tranny in car............even tho i fought it and did it
Old 12-30-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
removing the 2/4 servo is a tight fit.......IMO not worth messing with either with tranny in car............even tho i fought it and did it
Agreed. I skipped this part of the HD2 shift kit when the trans was in the car. It worked fine without the full shift kit. although it was a brand new 4L65E. I later updated the 2/4 servo parts when I had the engine and trans out.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

Default hope this helps

hope this is what your looking for guys. the trans go kits are the better kits out there meaning they are more detailed and give a better product when installed. almost all of the parts can be installed with the trans still in the car. the springs that you would need to remove the transmission for are not necassary unless you are building a high rpm car. the high rev pump spring is used to keep the slide that the pump gears ride against stable at high rpm. like 7000rpms. drag race stuff not dd cars like most of us have. also you need to pull the tranny to get the servo out unless you destroy the floor of your car to get it out. bad idea. and yes the lt1 and ls1 cars both came with vette servos and are great. the billets are good but once again not a must. there are also some good things that dont come in a shift kit you should look into. Sonnax sells pinless accumulator pistons that are cheap and help performance. stock pistons wear out in the pin bores and cause sloppy slow shifts regardless of what springs you put behind them. also they sell a servo release valve that is a fix for a common problem we all have had. that 2-3 flare under wide open throttle. most tuners will adjust pressure to fix that also but thats not the right way to do it. pressure cannot bleed of fast enough to release the band and it drags. adjusting pressure only applys the clutchs faster to mask the real problem. i hope this helps a bit.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:42 PM
12 Second Club

Whats the big difference between this and the shift improver kit? It comes with all the stuff for the vb and a new spring and spacers. Doesn't the hd2 have the same stuff plus a few other pieces to strengthen the trans? Jw I i just bought the improver kit and im installing it Tom... Thanks
Old 12-30-2011, 07:18 PM
Banned

I tuned mine today with a diablo and it shifts fast and hard.

Quick Reply: 4l60e transgo shift kit?