Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Lq4 or ly6??

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lq4 or ly6??

Hey guys. I was going to do an lq4 for my turbo gn swap. I might have a chance to get a complete ly6 and 4l80e. I have searched and read as much as I could but have questions. What is the better choice? Im really concerned about the vvt. Some people say its not a big deal, others say ditch it. No one is saying why they would get rid of it. Wouldnt it be a great thing to have?Ive never done an ls motor or turbo. Just old school carbed motors. Why would you do one or the other? I seen there are performance cams now for vvt motors. They have the l92's and the price might be too good to pass up. I seen on here people were worried about the springs on vvt motors and they run out of air at 6k. i dont plan on spinning it over 6200-6400.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

no one?? lol i know quite a few people are running the ly6 as well. any info from people who have built them?
Old 12-28-2011, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not use vvt, not on a perfomance build, just plug off the bosses that come up and run the block. im looking to get one of these blocks as well but not for the vvt ,I want one so I can do a straight swap in my goat
It just seems like there could be more problems that could arise
Old 12-28-2011, 09:00 AM
Launching!

I'd recommend a LY2
Old 12-28-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

lol! actually.... that is an option as well. 4.8 that ones got 214000 on it. i could get that for little of nothing today. lol I want the 4l80e. I dont want to have to mix match trannys. I read all the way through the nova build a guy did on here with one. he kept the vvt. the cams are dif and you have to get a dif front cover to not use the vvt right? i would love to see some that has done it and kept the vvt. Just to see if its worth it. Dont you have to change something in the computer if you delete it?
Old 12-28-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The vvt motor is a good motor, with strong rods (ls3 style) and comes with valve reliefs for L92 heads, which is sweet. You can throw a car intake, and a cam (vvt delete), and make really good power with that thing. Better than an LQ4, IMO. However it does not have a 24x reluctor on it, so I would buy a motor based on which PCM you have. If you're getting the drivetrain controller, (both TCM and ECM, tcm is inside the transmission) I would go with it. If not, I'd base my choice on which to get based on the Pcm i planned on using. (24x or 58x) the newer pcm is MUCH better (as long as it's not an E40 of course) and faster than the old LS1B controllers, etc, although I have not used one in a swap yet..
Old 12-28-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

is there a reason you say delete the vvt? it has 200,000 on it as well. its got to need bored i would think, bearings, rings, seals... i could see how it runs and try it. lol anything else thats better besides the rods? i dont have anything for the motor. these would be complete pull outs. motor/tranny everything needed. my buddy owns a junk yard. ;-] pull what i want and crush the rest.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chub406
is there a reason you say delete the vvt? it has 200,000 on it as well. its got to need bored i would think, bearings, rings, seals... i could see how it runs and try it. lol anything else thats better besides the rods? i dont have anything for the motor. these would be complete pull outs. motor/tranny everything needed. my buddy owns a junk yard. ;-] pull what i want and crush the rest.
If you're rebuilding it, you can change the reluctor wheel quite easily to run whatever you want. Any LS engine will work.. 6.0's are my favorite, though.. you can run L76/92/LS3/LSA/LS9 heads without modification.

DOD sucks and you can't put a decent sized cam in it. The tensioner sucks too. Delete it all.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

what is dod and afm? i just got done reading 11 pages about vvt motors. looks like tsp, mast, and pat g are using them with great results. according to them. if you swap the lifters. you can run duals. otherwise beehives. i can see where its an advantage. changing the cam timing on the fly. you can eliminate the dod and afm and just run vvt. i just though about the oild pan in a gbody. i was going to use the hot rod pan but that wont work for an ls3 right?
Old 12-29-2011, 01:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The heads on the LY6 will flow better, although some people don't like them that much in this part of tech. Most will/would say to use the LQ4 and the 317's that came on it. The E38 is a better computer as 67rs said.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

ya. i only paln on 14 lbs max. from what I seen. the l92's should hold and not push water. im only looking for 650rwhp. Is that the computer in the ly6 I'm assuming?
Old 12-30-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 9sectruck
I would not use vvt, not on a perfomance build, just plug off the bosses that come up and run the block. im looking to get one of these blocks as well but not for the vvt ,I want one so I can do a straight swap in my goat
It just seems like there could be more problems that could arise
vvt os just fine for performance builds. just learn how to use it.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Teching In

What would be involved in the vvt delete if going carburated?
Old 01-01-2012, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by VaderZ28
What would be involved in the vvt delete if going carburated?
This is it if you use a 3-bolt cam. You can probably get a single bolt timing gear if you stick with the stock LY6 cam.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...egory_Code=C31

You can do it a little cheaper if you get a cover off ebay and reuse the truck cam sensor in that cover, it works the same, thats what I did.

EDIT: If you stay with the stock cam or a single bolt cam, you can probably reuse all the truck parts and somehow lock the VVT solid, probably can do it free in that case.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

arent the lq motors a hyd roller and the ly6 is hyd? i could be wrong. If i get it. ill prob call mast. they seem to be the most knowledgeable about vvt. they are going to be for keeping it though of course. lol the only way to know though is to talk to people that have done it. are most of you putting carbs on these then? im keeping the efi. the connections on the injectors are dif too between the lq and the ly6 aren't they? Im going to run e85 more than likely. i know ill need to run at least 80's i would think. what is dod and afm??
Old 02-03-2012, 07:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the vvt debates in gen IV internal. There are some good debates. I had great results with my LY6 and an aftermarket LS3 cam swap.

Quick Reply: Lq4 or ly6??