Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

2002 Camaro Morimoto Mini H1 install

Old 01-13-2012, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2002 Camaro Morimoto Mini H1 install

Just got finished installing these on my car. Got the kit from the retrofit source and it was about as straightforward as it can be, as they include the harness and their website has some helpful tips on installing them. They also have excellent customer service.

Gotta thank walter1234, VIP1, and everyone who chimed in on retrofitting HIDs. There is a lot of helpful information in another thread so I won't repeat everything they said, and VIP1's thread "lighting FAQ" is excellent.

In my experience, there are going to be some SNAFUs the first time with any install, and this was no different, but if I had to do it again I'm sure it would be no big deal (and take a lot less time).

After getting the cover off the headlight assembly, I used 400 grit sandpaper and green scotchbrite pads to scuff all the chrome off. I'm not sure that was completely necessary, as plastic primer does about the same thing as scuffing, but I did it anyway, and it took a couple hours and a lot of elbow grease. I did not scuff the mini gatling gun shrouds, I just painted them with the same paint I used on the headlight assembly, that was satin black general purpose spray paint with primer in it, and they look almost the same as the headlight assembly that I spent a pretty long time prepping for paint. I used some halogen work lights mounted on a tripod to help bake the paint on, and speed up the drying time. Now's probably a good time to let y'all know that I don't expect to win any car shows with this install and I know it's not as "clean" as it could be.

Removing the three tabs on the inside of the headlight assembly allows the projector housing to go further back, which will expose more threads for the locknut in the rear to bite on. I also cut the tabs on the back of the headlight assembly so the washer would have a flat surface to sit on, and this also allows the locknut to have more threads to bite on. You have to drill a small hole under the factory hole for the wires going to the solenoid. The silicone washer that goes on the projector housing should seal the drilled hole pretty well, but I put some silicone sealant in the hole from the back of the assembly just to seal it up a little better. It would have been nice if I had done this stuff before I put the shrouds on the projector housings, as I got a lot of dust on the inner side of the glass from the cutting/drilling.

Putting the covers back on the headlight assemblies, I used butyl tape from NAPA that was about $20 and it's probably enough to do 4 headlights. After getting the covers on, I ran my finger around the edges to seal in the grooves and remove some of the excess. The stuff looks like it is excellent for preventing any water leak issues, and it might be overkill, but I would recommend using it over just trying to use the leftover factory stuff to seal up the headlight assemblies.

The harness that comes with the kit is nice, but there has to be some strategic placement of the ballasts and the relays to ensure that there is enough wire for all the connectors. I didn't want to drill any holes for the ballasts and relays, so I used industrial strength velcro and cleaned off the areas with paper towels and denatured alcohol before installing the velcro. After some thought, these locations seemed to be the best for all the stuff.

The diode that has to be wired is pretty easy. I Just got the right diode, used a soldering gun and 14 gauge wire, and soldered the diode onto two pieces of wire about 6 inches or so. I tapped into the positive side of the factory high beam and the positive side of the factory low beam with tap-in squeeze connectors. The diode has to be facing the right direction and make sure to you squeeze the metal tap hard to pierce the wires, and finally, seal it with electrical tape. I used some wire loom and electrical tape on the wires to help protect them.

Getting the beams level isn't that big of a deal. I marked on the headlight assembly where 12 o'clock is and when you install the projector housing, the center of the groove on the top of the projector housing is where it should be at 12 o'clock so the cutoff is horizontal. You can adjust it when the headlights are on the car to get it perfect. Use a TORX T20 (?) and the link Walter mentioned to get the final aiming right. I used blue tape and a marker to get them lined up right.

One SNAFU I ran into was after getting everything mounted and wired, the driver side cutoff was making the light in a V shape. Andrew at TRS told me to put a pick in the light bulb hole to pull back the projector cutoff. After bending it some, then putting it back on the car, repeating a few times, it's almost perfect.

It's a pretty big difference, and it's all pretty basic stuff, just takes some common sense and some patience. The extra/better light really does help at night, even when they're just on the low beams. The high beams are insanely bright, and they make a huge difference driving on real dark roads.

Thanks again, fellas.

Last edited by NeoLoco; 01-13-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VERY COOL! I would totally do that if they were cheaper. Looks great, good write up.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:28 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks man. It was about $300 for the parts and materials and well worth it IMO.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So the brights buckets are just for the evil eyes now?
Old 01-13-2012, 11:39 PM
Staging Lane

The old high beams are still hooked up. There is a splitter for each side included in the kit that is a splitter from the factory high beam wire to the factory high beam and to the solenoid for the projector. The factory high beam probably doesn't do much with the HID high beam on, but might as well use it for the extra light.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice job and great write up. I am about to do a retrofit using the same projector. Right now the only thing keeping me from starting the process is my hectic work schedule.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:15 AM
TECH Addict

I think its amazing what you did.

I always wanted to do it but I feel like I wont know how to install the projector and make sure it aims straight.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice clean retro man, it looks killer. Its great to see people doing HID the right way. Im suprised you had to do any movement on the sheild. As critical as sheild placement is, as any slightest movement can COMPLETELY change how sharp the cut off is, I would been pretty disappointed. What did TRS have to say about why it came to you like that? Their customer service is really good, just wondering why it was sent you like that.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:13 PM
11 Second Club

Probably the cleanest projector I've seen in an LS1 Camaro headlight. It looks very nice, not ricey like the aftermarket junk. Always water to do this when I ha my Camaro.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

very nice install
Old 01-14-2012, 09:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Looks great man!
Old 01-15-2012, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Great job!
Old 01-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks y'all.

Originally Posted by LT4vert

As critical as sheild placement is, as any slightest movement can COMPLETELY change how sharp the cut off is, I would been pretty disappointed. What did TRS have to say about why it came to you like that? Their customer service is really good, just wondering why it was sent you like that.
I have no idea why it was sent to me like that. It was a little frustrating that the cutoff was off by a lot. Now that I've adjusted it some, the cutoff is pretty good, and I couldn't really tell when I was driving that it is off. If I'm parked directly at a wall I can tell, but it's not out of alignment by much, so it's probably not noticeable on the street.

You're definitely right about how much the light is affected by the angle of the cutoff, as I adjusted it several times and there is no way I can make it perfect like the one on the passenger side, that arrived as it should be. It doesn't really make a lot of sense to not make it perfect, so there is a good possibility that I'll call them and get a replacement. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Originally Posted by SS DNA
I think its amazing what you did.

I always wanted to do it but I feel like I wont know how to install the projector and make sure it aims straight.
It's pretty easy. Just set the projectors on the markings at as close to 12 o'clock as possible, so the cutoff is horizontal, then put the headlight assemblies back together, and finally make adjustments to the up/down and left/right adjustments with the factory adjustment screws. You can still adjust the cutoff once everything is put back together by turning the projector at the locknut with needle nose pliers.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Captain Double Post

i would love to do this very bad ***
Old 01-15-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by NeoLoco
Thanks y'all.

I have no idea why it was sent to me like that. It was a little frustrating that the cutoff was off by a lot. Now that I've adjusted it some, the cutoff is pretty good, and I couldn't really tell when I was driving that it is off. If I'm parked directly at a wall I can tell, but it's not out of alignment by much, so it's probably not noticeable on the street.

You're definitely right about how much the light is affected by the angle of the cutoff, as I adjusted it several times and there is no way I can make it perfect like the one on the passenger side, that arrived as it should be. It doesn't really make a lot of sense to not make it perfect, so there is a good possibility that I'll call them and get a replacement. I'll let y'all know how it goes.
Damn that sucks. I mean its possible to disassemble the projector and adjust the sheild, but its such a tedius job as you have to reassemble the projector to verify the adjustment. Your opinion may differ, but and uneven cut off line is huge pet peeve of mine, on my own car it would **** me off every time I saw it Especially since the mini's have a pretty wide razor sharp line.

GL if you go for a replacement man.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice. I'm surprised more 98-02 camaro owners aren't doing this. It's really easy with the mini h1s.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dabest09
Nice. I'm surprised more 98-02 camaro owners aren't doing this. It's really easy with the mini h1s.
I definitely want to do this I have hids but I want to do it properly.
Can you buy this kit without the ballasts so I can use the ones I already have?
Old 01-16-2012, 08:04 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

You can buy the projectors separately. As a matter of fact, I have a pair that I am going to be selling since I decided to sell my car before I had a chance to install them.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
You can buy the projectors separately. As a matter of fact, I have a pair that I am going to be selling since I decided to sell my car before I had a chance to install them.
Chrome or graphite shroud? And I might be interested if you're prepared to ship them overseas.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Chrome, but not sure how much it would cost me to ship them overseas.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 Camaro Morimoto Mini H1 install