Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

After 85 years of USA Made, Craftsman hand tools now Chinese

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default After 85 years of USA Made, Craftsman hand tools now Chinese

I did a search and didnt notice any mention of this, so I figured I should post up. Apparently Craftsman hand tools are switching to Chinese manufacture.

I found out yesterday from a tool forum. I know they have been selling imported supplies and larger items for years, but the hand tool line has been synonymous with Made in USA, and since they have other tool lines, I never thought they would ruin the Craftsman line.

To me this undercuts what I have spent decades buying into as part of their warranty, as they will no longer be able to back up the products I've bought with an acceptable replacement.

Its also very underhanded how they plan to take advantage of everyones assumption that Craftsman = USA. They have apparently been subtly removing Made in USA off packaging on US made tools so that as the switch rolls out, it will be even harder to notice. The tools will come in the same basic shape (although as the link below shows, thicker to make up for lesser quality steel, rougher finishing quality and less gear lube), with the same packaging part numbers and price. It doesnt look to be stamped with its new country of origin, they just removed the USA and leave you to assume its the same tool you have been buying for 85 years.

Just thought everyone should know. To me, its an absolute deal breaker. I only support American made tools.

For more pix/info:
http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126875
Old 01-13-2012, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

With the economy the way it is this was bound to happen. Sell it for full original price and make it for pennies on the dollar. So sad, even some Matco and Snap on tools are made over seas. I'm a Diesel mechanic and stopped wasting my money after i saw some of my high end tools having made in taiwan labels. Its bull. but as a society we'll still keep buying them just like the high priced gas, cars and houses.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

I havent fully checked this site out yet, but it came up on another forum, providing a list of USA tool manufacturers:
http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/tools.html

And for contacting customer service at Craftsman:
http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/nb_10...NB_CScontactus
Old 01-13-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Havent bought anything craftsman in several years.... graduated to Snap On Mac and and some Matco...
Old 01-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Launching!

I do know that the craftsman "evolve" series are made in china. If craftsman are going this route why not buy harbor freight as they too have a lifetime warranty. I might have to stop by the company hq since its about an hour away. But snap on is like 10 min from my house though
Old 01-14-2012, 07:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

The Kobalt [Lowes] tools I have, have a much nicer finish, fit the bolts and have the same warranty that the Crapsman have.
I've noticed that the Crapsman stuff has been on a down hill slide, for several yrs..The results of Sears going in the toilet??? Who knows.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I keep a couple sets of harbor frieght wrenches and sockets on my truck to bend and cut up as I need them and thats what I used my craftsman for too. They dont hold up very well at work but I still use them at home. As far as my work goes I only use Snap On because they are at every jobsite I go to, even remotely located mines. The day they start trying to sell me chinese stuff ill start buying somewhere else.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

That's BS. I break every cheap Chinese tool I use.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

This country has gone to hell in a handbasket.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:46 PM
11 Second Club

I use a fair amount of Craftsman hand tools, they're screwdrivers are junk & so are the ratchets. Just the other day i was using a 1/4 in drive ratchet & the head of it just fell apart. Now I'm done buying Craftsman tools & as my stuff breaks, I'll replace it with something better.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:31 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Every tool manufacturer is going overseas. Ever take a look at the new Snap-on ratchets?? They no longer say "Made in USA" anymore.........

Check out Sunex brand if you want a good quality product that's made overseas but will still hold up to daily abuse. I've abandoned Snap-on/Matco and went to Sunex. Literally 1/4 the price and professional grade.

Last edited by Damian; 01-15-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Yeah craftsman has been there for a while. Danaher tool group manufactures about 80% of the ratchets, sockets, and wrenches for all the big name brand stuff. Proto, snapon, craftsman, kobalt, armstrong, etc just about every name out there.

Try to get Taiwan, its 5x the quality of anything coming from China.

Proto and armstrong and some others have US Made tools and they are 5-10x the money and about 100x the quality.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's sad that our corp. are selling their soul to the devil for cheap profits today. We will be in a war with them in the near furture , but won't have any manuf. left to build equipment. We have fought them twice Korea, and Vietnam. In both conflicts we have left and now consider them a friendly nation. I guess its all part of the NWO. Sorry for the rant.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Abrasive Trader
Try to get Taiwan, its 5x the quality of anything coming from China.

I was just saying something similar the other day about Taiwan. It's amazing how we never had this much trouble with products from Taiwan. Seems like the Chinese produce only crap. The final straw was their ******* pet food that had melamine in it. They were already on my **** list, but that crap was completely unacceptable.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Banned

I use HF tools sometimes. Their impact sockets and a few other things are great. It's like a crap shoot when you go in there though. Craftsman....I just replaced my 1/4in ratched because I lost my old one, and this new one feels like ******* junk. I hate it.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Thank self made billionaire Eddy Lambert, He is the Chairman of sears, The largest retail seller of tools in the USA, He is also the largest share holder of Autozone, which is secretly the second largest retail seller of hand tools in america.(at least they were a few years ago) This guy has more control of the hand tool industry that any other single person.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
This country has gone to hell in a handbasket.
This^^^^^! I find it so frustrating trying to find USA made products anymore. When are we gonna say enough is enough and make a statement to these companies?? I won't buy any hand tools that aren't made in the USA. I'll go to yard sales and find used USA tools before I buy Chinese crap! **** craftsman,snap-on,mac,matco,and the rest of them that have deserted us!
Old 01-17-2012, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

The problem is when its made in the USA it cost more which in turn costs the customer. Since it costs the customer more the customer doesn't buy it and heads to Harbor Freight for chinese junk. If they are having trouble selling USA made higher price tools they switch to lower cost chinese tools to make it more affordable to the customer and cheaper for the retailer to make. As a society we tend to look for the "better deal".
Old 01-17-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Build-it-Break-it
The problem is when its made in the USA it cost more which in turn costs the customer. Since it costs the customer more the customer doesn't buy it and heads to Harbor Freight for chinese junk. If they are having trouble selling USA made higher price tools they switch to lower cost chinese tools to make it more affordable to the customer and cheaper for the retailer to make. As a society we tend to look for the "better deal".
I hope that people are finally starting to see that they are not actually saving any money by buying the chinese crap.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Build-it-Break-it
Yup! Until American workers start working for and matching Chinese worker wages this is what we have to deal with and we know that isn't going to happen.
It's all a downward spiral for us that is now correcting itself in the last few years, financial change is painful especially when one isn't prepared for it.

China will go through this same thing we are sooner or later in the future. Plus if we can unstrangle and bring back heavy industry to the US, support the local businesses, be it a mom or pop place or companies that use American workers or products and things will get better. It sucks to see people whining about the rich people in this country and saying the should spread the wealth around. Most are when the create or run a business. Has anyone ever work for a poor person?
I'm an not rich but that is because I am somewhat lazy and it's my own fault and I admit it but I dont expect handouts either...

Rant off, Flame suit on.

Quick Reply: After 85 years of USA Made, Craftsman hand tools now Chinese