Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Replacement panhard bolts from the hardware store?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 11:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement panhard bolts from the hardware store?

Ok so I got the LCA's in, PITA and luckily I bought a new hardware kit for them earlier. But now I got the old panhard rod out, and of course the bolts broke off from being seized in there.

I know you can get the replacement hardware online, but I need it ASAP. Can panhard bolts be found at the hardware store? I've got a lot of choices near me, ACE, Menards, Home Depot, Lowes, True Value, ect. Since it's kind of a special stepped bolt I'm hoping I'm not screwed and have to buy online and wait.

Anyone deal with this before and know where I can get this hardware ASAP?
Old 01-17-2012, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

what was hard about LCA's? I thought alternator was a little PITA. I would take the broken bolts to home depot or where ever and get the same ones....but thats just me.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:30 PM
Banned

Everything on the rear was a PITA because the bolts were seized. So I had to cut torch and hammer half of them out.

Yeah it's common sense to go in and try and find the same ones lol.... duh They are special bolts, 2 different thicknesses stepped and threads only half way up. I know many people have probably dealt with this so I just wanted to see if someone could tell me if they were able to get them from a hardware store or if you can't find them to save me the trouble of driving around all day
Old 01-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Banned

Hmm.. couldn't I just use bolts that are the size of the thicker portion of the stockers throughout? I'm thinking if I am able to find one strong enough, all that matters are the threads. I don't see the size stepping being there for a reason, so could I just use a thicker bolt with the same thread pattern..?
Old 01-18-2012, 12:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...t-fitment.html
Old 01-18-2012, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You're not going to find a direct replacement for that at any hardware store. Most won't even carry a metric bolt in that size, much less one with the tapered shank. You can temporarily replace it with a smaller grade 8 bolt. I find OSH and Ace Hardware have the best selection of grade 8.

Go to the junkyard for that bolt.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:02 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ballinonabudget
Hmm.. couldn't I just use bolts that are the size of the thicker portion of the stockers throughout? I'm thinking if I am able to find one strong enough, all that matters are the threads. I don't see the size stepping being there for a reason, so could I just use a thicker bolt with the same thread pattern..?
The short answer is yes. If you can drill the small side of the flange to 14 mm (or equivalent) you can use a single diameter bolt, no problem. Those bolts are in double shear so they don't take much load. I'd still get the most premium fastener you can find. Quite often, NAPA and the like, have Dorman fasteners. Get bolts, a flat washer for under the head and under the nut, and a good locking nut - either nylock or some type of distorted thread.

ramey
Old 01-18-2012, 01:22 PM
Banned

Thanks UMI for the good advice I guess I'll still by the bolt kit, and just use something temporary for now if I can get something to work in there.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:16 PM
Banned

Thanks for the link too sjsingle1, that's what I ended up doing. I got 2 of those 9/16 bolts, 2 snug fitting washers, and 2 nylock bolts, best I could get was grade 8. Got a 9/16 drill bit, gonna drill out both the mounting holes and use the new hardware. Should fit nice and snug

Thanks for the help
Old 01-18-2012, 03:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-bolt-11516933.html

http://paceperformance.com/i-6484670-11516933-bolt.html

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...umber=11516933

http://sdparts.com/details/gm-factor...parts/11516933
Old 01-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Banned

Did you read this thread? ^

I know where to get the bolts, the problem is needing them right now and not being able to wait to order them online.

Quick Reply: Replacement panhard bolts from the hardware store?