PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think I got ripped on a Diablo Predator U7198...Vin locked and pissed!

Old 01-19-2012, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think I got ripped on a Diablo Predator U7198...Vin locked and pissed!

So some one sold me a used U7198 on ebay. I know. I know. I should have just bought a new one, but I thought $130 was a steal, and the ad said "internet updateable" so i thought it was a newer one.

When it arrives, I plug it in and see it's VIN locked, and running V1.03 which i have read is NOT updateable. I kind of was expecting I would have to unlock it, but I didnt think i should have to send it in.

I contacted the seller and he says "it is internet updateable" but that i would have to get another connector to hook it up to a computer. Keep in mind it is running v1.03.

So what should I do? Buy the other piece and hope I can get it updated and unlocked? Send it to diablo? Contact paypal and say the ad was inaccurate?

Not too happy about this, but I mostly blame myself for being so hasty. The ebay seller wasnt being completely honest though. He says he knew nothing about the programer which he bought at an estate sale, but now he knows how to hook it up all of a sudden
Old 01-19-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Item not as described... send it back.. he didnt tell you it was locked... you will get your cash back....
Old 01-19-2012, 09:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it wasn't advertised as VIN locked, ask your money back because it's worthless (unless you spend more money to have it unlocked by diablo).

There are some diablo dealers in this forum, ask any of them how much to unlock (and perhaps update it).
It may still be cheaper than a new one.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Launching!

Well he's trying to say that because he stated it was being sold "as-is", that is.doesnt have to work. I told him that he sold me a $130 brick and NOT a programmer so the ad was inaccurate. I wonder how much it would cost for diablo to unlock it? I've seen a couple different prices and policies just searching around the web....Can someone point me to a specific dealer on here?
Old 01-19-2012, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

post exactly what the add said if you can. If it says nothing about being unlocked, then you might be screwed. Theres a diablo forum, im sure they can let you in into some sorts of tricks and stuff.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could open a paypal dispute against him.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Zlow28
post exactly what the add said if you can. If it says nothing about being unlocked, then you might be screwed. Theres a diablo forum, im sure they can let you in into some sorts of tricks and stuff.
He literally copied and pasted the discription of a newer programmer and then wrote porduct is sold as-is.......I know he copied the discription from a newer programmer becaise he said it is internet updateable. I will try to post it up here when i get by a computer. My arguement is that the programmer does nothing he descibed.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:36 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

1.03 tools are old (initial release, 8 or so years ago), are not internet updateable, have no datalogging ability, nor do they unlock themselves when the stock tune is restored.

That tool can be sent in for our $99 hardware upgrade, where we basically gut it, upgrade the board to today's specs, and send it back functioning like a brand new Predator, that is internet updateable, can datalog, holds multiple custom tunes, etc.

That would put you at about $230 + shipping, which is still better than you can get a brand new tool for.

FWIW, for anyone looking at this, I'd always suggest buying these things new. They are not that expensive, come with a 2 year warranty, and you never know what you are going to get if you buy them used.

OP, you can fill out the rma request form on our website if you want to send it in for the upgrade.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2012, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

would the upgraded tool carry any sort of warranty?
Old 01-20-2012, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

OP, you should tell the seller that you called Diablosport and they told you its a special model that can do custom tunes and that it was upgraded from them. Tell him it sells for 1200.00 used and he can eat a donkeys dick...
Old 01-20-2012, 08:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
would the upgraded tool carry any sort of warranty?
I think we offer a 30 or 60 day warranty on parts after the hardware upgrade...
Old 01-20-2012, 09:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Tell him you contacted predator and the model you were sold was not as described. If it isn't internet upgradable, the description was wrong. Open a dispute against him on paypal. If he won't return your money willingly, paypal will take it back for you since you are obviously in the right.

The step after that is to escalate the dispute on paypal if he still doesn't comply.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

dont mess around talking with this guy.... escalate the claim now if youre not gonna let diablo upgrade it.... time is your enemy here..
Old 01-20-2012, 09:56 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take him to the people's court.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:59 AM
TECH Junkie

^Judge Joe Brown
Old 01-20-2012, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

I actually had this happen to me, but I was the seller. I did everything I could to ensure that the unit was unlocked. I had sold the car before I sold the Predator so I couldn't take the unit back and unlock it to the car. I ended up refunding the buyer the amount it would cost to have it unlocked by DS. He was able to unlock it over the phone somehow, I believe. BTW, this unit was for a Hemi.

In the end I think I made about $12 on the sale.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stingrayj
I actually had this happen to me, but I was the seller. I did everything I could to ensure that the unit was unlocked. I had sold the car before I sold the Predator so I couldn't take the unit back and unlock it to the car. I ended up refunding the buyer the amount it would cost to have it unlocked by DS. He was able to unlock it over the phone somehow, I believe. BTW, this unit was for a Hemi.

In the end I think I made about $12 on the sale.
well at least you were honest about it, thats worth more than a couple bucks. Im actually considering one for my hemi truck too, but as mike said, id buy a new one if i happen to pull the trigger.

Op hopefully it gets resolved, but lesson learned to make sure you know exactly what youre buying.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
dont mess around talking with this guy.... escalate the claim now if youre not gonna let diablo upgrade it.... time is your enemy here..
This, but offer the seller to refund the 99 towards the hardware upgrade as an alternative solution. This proves you are being reasonable and only want what you intended to buy in the first place.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Launching!

**Update** I started a dispute on ebay and had the option of sending it back or get a $45 cash. I decided to do the cash back and I'll just just pay the $99 to get it updated. I have heard it is $99 to get the hardware updated and then a little more to get it unlocked. My question is would the hardware upgrade not unlock it?
Old 01-23-2012, 04:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you read what mike said

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Think I got ripped on a Diablo Predator U7198...Vin locked and pissed!