Other Special Events Gatherings | Shows | Cruises

Gatlinburg Rod Run in April!!

Old 01-25-2012, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Gatlinburg Rod Run in April!!

So the times slowing closing in on the April 12-15 car show in Gatlinburg!!! I posted about this awhile back, but wanting to see how many people plan on going. Finishing the last touches on my Hugger SS before we head down!
Old 01-26-2012, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it in Gatlinburg or in Pigeon Forge?
Old 01-26-2012, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's always in Pigeon Forge. There isno parking in G'burg! I'll swing by since it's only 1 county over.

This event at one point was pretty wild. the cops have really tamed it down over the years. 2003ish was the last year I really had a great time.

Unless things have changed, the F-Body crowd meets at the bank in front of the Dollywood light (light #9 maybe?). If anyone that's been - you might have met 'Wild Ron' whos had a bunch of F-body's over the years. anyway, I have his old convertible now.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry your right, its in pigeon forge lol our cabins in gatlingurg so my bad! Anyways, my dad has been going since he was a kid and said it used to get REALLY crazy down there. Sadly it has tamed up a lot. But you still see burnouts, exciting rednecks to watch, etc. Did see a guy dump his chopper doing a burnout in a bucket of water someone dumped for people to use last year lmao. Havent met Wild Ron yet nor been to the f-body meeting spot. Will have to go this year for sure!
Old 01-30-2012, 12:00 AM
TECH Regular

Ill be going. I live about 15 minutes from pigeon forge. If you do go, DO NOT go onto the spur (stretch of road that separates pigeon forge and gatlinburg) after 7pm or so... unless you want to sit in traffic for a few hours in the woods lol
Old 01-30-2012, 12:01 AM
TECH Regular

Ron is a character for sure! Does great work on F-cars too, so if you need any work done while there, give him a shout.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by USMC5811
Sorry your right, its in pigeon forge lol our cabins in gatlingurg so my bad! Anyways, my dad has been going since he was a kid and said it used to get REALLY crazy down there. Sadly it has tamed up a lot. But you still see burnouts, exciting rednecks to watch, etc. Did see a guy dump his chopper doing a burnout in a bucket of water someone dumped for people to use last year lmao. Havent met Wild Ron yet nor been to the f-body meeting spot. Will have to go this year for sure!
I've seen guys pouring water into the street for burnouts many of times. Most times, people run to fetch water from hotel pools with 5 gallon buckets. Sadly, this has become rare as well. The traffic barely moves, so the cops can literally walk through traffic to issue tickets.

I have pics from 'the good old days' of a dozen+ women flashing for beeds in the back of lifted pick-ups going down the road. The thing to do was to get behind those trucks!
Old 01-30-2012, 03:08 PM
TECH Regular

They definitely still flash teh boobz!! Though burnouts are RARE now, if not extinct. Cruising during the day around 10am to 6-7ish its fun as can be because you are actually moving.. After 7 or so, it gets to be dead stop. It used to be WALL TO WALL bad *** cars, now sadly there are tons of "civilian" cars and jacked up trucks (which i care nothing about).

Derek, what day/days you planning on being there? we will have to cruise up together.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:46 AM
TECH Resident

what are the dates? At this point, any day could work. I won't really know till the date gets closer. If it's the week of April 7th, I'm busy. Navy Seal Extreme Challenge in Cosby, TN!
Old 01-31-2012, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE
This event at one point was pretty wild. the cops have really tamed it down over the years. 2003ish was the last year I really had a great time.

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
I've seen guys pouring water into the street for burnouts many of times. Most times, people run to fetch water from hotel pools with 5 gallon buckets. Sadly, this has become rare as well. The traffic barely moves, so the cops can literally walk through traffic to issue tickets.

I have pics from 'the good old days' of a dozen+ women flashing for beeds in the back of lifted pick-ups going down the road. The thing to do was to get behind those trucks!
These posts are so very true. Ever since 2002-2003 the event has turned into an event with heavy law enforcement and I have witnessed a lower turnout of muscle cars and an influx of large SUV's and trucks. I guess it just comes down to the economy though. Muscle cars have risen in price, both to own and restore, and the older generation that frequented the event yearly up until a decade or so ago seems to be slowly leaving the event. And the younger crowd seems to be creating a 4x4 niche at the event that has left many people feeling like the muscle car cruise scene is shrinking at night. Last year I did comment on the amount of non-modified traffic out at night during the cruise as it was the most I believe I have ever seen since I started going in 97'. It definately clogged up the lanes and many of the nicer vehicles choose not to go out into the parking lot that developed after 7pm.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:44 AM
TECH Resident

Chaotic - where in Knox are you, and what do you drive?
Old 01-31-2012, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

Chaotic - where in Knox are you, and what do you drive?
I live in West/North Knox and I currently have an 02 SOM Formula....with the Knoxville custom hail damage mod of course lol
Old 01-31-2012, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Chaotic Deconstruct
I live in West/North Knox and I currently have an 02 SOM Formula....with the Knoxville custom hail damage mod of course lol
That sucks. I'm near you. Karns/Ball Camp area. Luckly my car was in the garage last April 27th.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Launching!

ill be there for beer and boobies.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

That sucks. I'm near you. Karns/Ball Camp area. Luckly my car was in the garage last April 27th.
Yeah it was a miserable experience. I have just taken the car back to stock and plan on garaging and restoring it to some degree once I get a cheap daily in the summer.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by badblazeSS
ill be there for beer and boobies.
sweet deal bro your going? we may be home in indiana before the drive to PF so we will have to go together....i bought your wheels from you FYI lol

even the slow cruising is fun at nights though, or just throw out a lawn chair on the sidewalk and watch the entertainment drive my with the girls lol
Old 02-02-2012, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ehatcher
Ill be going. I live about 15 minutes from pigeon forge. If you do go, DO NOT go onto the spur (stretch of road that separates pigeon forge and gatlinburg) after 7pm or so... unless you want to sit in traffic for a few hours in the woods lol
I find thats 100% of the traffic in seviereville, pigeon forge, and gatlinburg any time after like 7AM..

I went up around labor day, took me 4 HOURS to get from the ihop in pigeon forge to I-75.

Sorry guys.. I'm not gonna deal with that again. Like to go.. but Atlanta's traffic is better during rushour.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by USMC5811
sweet deal bro your going? we may be home in indiana before the drive to PF so we will have to go together....i bought your wheels from you FYI lol

even the slow cruising is fun at nights though, or just throw out a lawn chair on the sidewalk and watch the entertainment drive my with the girls lol
We could possibly make that happen. At least meet up down there. Are you happy with your wheels? I will have a th400 in my car by then. Still debating on driving or pulling it. Either way it should be down there.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DarkFox118
I find thats 100% of the traffic in seviereville, pigeon forge, and gatlinburg any time after like 7AM..

I went up around labor day, took me 4 HOURS to get from the ihop in pigeon forge to I-75.

Sorry guys.. I'm not gonna deal with that again. Like to go.. but Atlanta's traffic is better during rushour.
Taking HWY 321 from PF to Maryville is a much prettier drive! Several ways in/out besides I-75.

As time gets closer, I'll try and schedule a meet and greet event. Perhaps morning eat, and then cruise up to the event. Anyone up for a trip up and back through tail of the dragon / Deals Gap on the way?
311 turns in 11 miles. We would have to do it both ways in order to go back to the Rod Run.
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

I'll try and get my good friend in B'ham to come up for it.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by badblazeSS
We could possibly make that happen. At least meet up down there. Are you happy with your wheels? I will have a th400 in my car by then. Still debating on driving or pulling it. Either way it should be down there.
yea man love em, as you can see from my sig the cars came along way from the stock form when i bought it lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gatlinburg Rod Run in April!!