Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How to remove one layer of paint?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 05:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove one layer of paint?

I recently purchased a 99 Trans Am that appears to have been originally black and some ID10T decided that it would be great to paint it silver. Well that would have been great if they had done some kind of prep work on the black paint underneeth. Now the silver is peeling/chiping off and I can remove some of it with my pressure washer but I wanted to see if anyone knew of anyway to remove the to silver paint to see exacly how the black looks.

Also on a side note does anyone know the best stuff to use to take the left over adhesive from the bottom of carbon fiber overlays? Same ID10T put overlays on almost everything.

Thanks for any help/suggestions
Old 02-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

one layer at a time... jk....you are probably going to be re-clearing it anyways so i would suggest wet sanding, that way you dont take too much off at once and it will be a good surface for the clear to be put on...two birds with one stone...it will probably take a long time tho...And as far as adhesive remover, i've had real good luck with a product called "goo gone", you can find it at any walmart and i've used it for taking off stickers off windshields, tint adhesive off windows, melted duct tape off a plastic bumper, etc...you could try that.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:05 PM
Teching In

if the paint is coming off with a pressure washer the best thing to do is take it to a shop and have them strip it off and repaint it, jmo. if you want to remove the paint that is flaking off and peeling take a air hose and at about 120 psi blow it off. that would be the quickest way and it shouldn't hurt the black under the silver but who knows what they painted over

Last edited by Bern1982; 02-14-2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-14-2012, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

I agree, I tried using goo gone and it started to mess up the plastic. I'm trying to save a few bucks by doing most of it myself I figure worst case scenario I have to get it repainted. If I do I have a Tacoma and it's speedway blue I really like that color so I would probably go with that.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:55 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry to jump in your thread OP, but I have the SAME issue. My car is originally black, and then someone painted right over it with the same color. No prep work, no anything, and it's ALL starting to peel and look like grade-A ***.

So I'm in for more answers / suggestions too.

Quick Reply: How to remove one layer of paint?