Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to the exhaust shop Friday

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 07:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to the exhaust shop Friday

And my head is in the clouds as always as to what I feel like doing with it. As of now she's set in for tightening down the exhaust that's on it and fine tuning it for more clearance as well as welding in o2 bungs for the rear sensors and connecting to my new TSP 1 7/8" headers. Here's my problem... the car currently has an H pipe and I see no way of gaining the clearance I want without ditching it or at least moving it, so my balancer pipe is taking a change.

The real dilemma I know there are greater gains with an X over an H, but I like the torque gain of the H pipe and the sound more specifically. I've read a million threads about the differences between X and H in power gains in the past but still can't get past the sound of it. Videos really aren't helping me much either because of sound quality issues. Anyone heard both that can chime in?

short version: Go to an X or keep the H in my current setup? (possibly changing it friday)
Old 02-23-2012, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've heard both. I honestly couldn't tell the difference. Alot that comes into play is that no 2 cars are going to be the same. Different mufflers, mods, ect. I can tell you I'm completely satisified with my x. Sound wise it's awesome with not a hint of rasp, and the clearence is really no different than stock.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:44 AM
TECH Regular

there is a big difference in sound to me.. took me awhile but I found two vids.. same car, only change was H to X. Makes the choice even harder hearing them side by side... =/ I like both, but LOVE the H sound.

H
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRNfewvNWqQ
X
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9a0N...5&feature=plcp
Old 02-23-2012, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Man the x sounds throaty as **** to me..Either way you'll be happy, can't go wrong with duals anyway.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by justin hover
Man the x sounds throaty as **** to me..Either way you'll be happy, can't go wrong with duals anyway.
I know that much, already have duals with an H lol. the H is a deeper sound with a touch of rasp and grunt, the X is smooth and powerful sounding but not what I think of when I think of musclecar. Also H is produce a little more torque down low-mid, where the X creates more HP up high.. win-win really, just a matter of sound. Leaning towards keeping my H... Wife says go for the X.. lmao.. I'm screwed either way this time!

Last edited by RacingTiger03; 02-23-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The question is do you think you'll notice the sound or gains more.. I'd keep the H
Old 02-23-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
The question is do you think you'll notice the sound or gains more.. I'd keep the H
haha you have a VERY valid point, and honestly I would notice the LOSS more from the X-pipe.. I drive in the mid-range more often than I drive in the high rpm range . I've had an H-pipe on this car for 3 years, and had an H-pipe setup identical to it except over the axle like the kooks exhaust instead of under setup like a vette at the mufflers. that LT1 sounded absolutely amazing... by far the best sounding car I've owned/heard without a cam in my life haha. I can dream that the headers will open up my LS and make it similiar but I know it isn't gonna happen... that's another reason I'm debating the new route. (though she rattles the ground and sounds like a very evil car with just the headers right now LMAO!)
Old 02-23-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

dont fix what isnt broke
Old 02-23-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

bahahah... made my wife listen to the two clips.. first one.. "I don't like it".... but that's what I have and you like it!? O_o... maybe the raspier bullets who knows lol.. 2nd one (x)... "I like the first one better".... well, that was easy. If my mic can handle it (it can't record the open headers, noise reduction kicks in lmao) I'll finally get a sound clip of my current setup for you all
Old 02-23-2012, 05:39 PM
TECH Regular

I wonder what the H pipe setup would sound like with the dynomax bullets...
Old 02-24-2012, 07:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by need2speed94
I wonder what the H pipe setup would sound like with the dynomax bullets...
too loud and too much pop on decel. That's how my Z28 was originally set up. I swapped to the ultra-flo's on it because I didn't like the horrible popping, and they did nothing to muffle it, the ultra-flo's make the decel pop sound great ... X-pipe takes care of most of that on it's own, so bullets with an X are ok. def a no-go with an H unless you like the sound of open headers popping on decel because that is exactly what it's like. Other than that it did sound good

Quick Reply: Going to the exhaust shop Friday