Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

De-coupled torque arm. Any experience out there?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default De-coupled torque arm. Any experience out there?

I'm about to start buying a full suspension for my slow-camaro. I've seen the de-coupled torque arm sold by Unbalanced Engineering. Anyone have any experience with these things? Am I better off looking into the adjustable torque arms? Thanks for any help yall can provide.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's our build:

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo..._page=02camaro

I've done some research into the Unbalanced products and they do look really interesting. Our T/A comes in long and short but doesn't decouple.

I'd be interested in working with you on your project.

ramey
Old 02-03-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

isnt the global west arm decoupled? i know strano does not run 1.....maybe he will chime in
Old 02-03-2012, 08:38 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ricks4genshianne
I'm about to start buying a full suspension for my slow-camaro. I've seen the de-coupled torque arm sold by Unbalanced Engineering. Anyone have any experience with these things? Am I better off looking into the adjustable torque arms? Thanks for any help yall can provide.
We would need to know your goals for the car. As a seller of torque arms we'd prefer to sell ours. But as a forum and car enthusiast, it's all about what's best for the application. I'd actually really like to try one of the decoupled ones to see how they work.

ramey
Old 02-04-2012, 07:29 AM
Staging Lane

This V6 is to be a tribute build to my brother. Before he was killed in a motorcycle crash, he wanted to build his car to be a N/A monster. He didn't much care about handling as long as it could hook from a dig and blast out that 1/4 quicker than the dude next to him. I care about handling. A LOT. This car will have the power and such that he wanted (no less than 400whp...engine only), but I want the thing to be like a Beemer. Quick hook, short stops, flat cornering...pretty much I want the car to put the pavement into a death-grip strangle-hold. With that is weight-reduction, but losing weight will be inherent with the aftermarket parts out there.

Thank you all for your interest. I thought a slow-camaro guy would be laughed off the forums.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

That unbalanced eng. tq arm looks good. I wonder if it works good.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Staging Lane

No clue...but the Global West arm looks like it doesn't protrude from beneath the car at all, and it's $200 cheaper. I'm wondering if ANY of these things really work.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to check out frrax since a lot of the people there run it.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks4genshianne
No clue...but the Global West arm looks like it doesn't protrude from beneath the car at all, and it's $200 cheaper. I'm wondering if ANY of these things really work.
Not that I've had any personal experience with either the Global West part or the Unbalanced Engineering part, but if it means anything, Global has a solid reputation for making parts that help your car handle. Furthermore, they brought out their arm a LONG time ago...I remember reading about it back in '96-'97, shortly after I bought my Z-28. And since Unbalanced came along and built a similar piece, I think its safe to conclude that the engineering theory on which they're built on is fairly solid.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

I'll check with FRRAX tomorrow and send an email to both Global and Unbalanced. Thanks for the direction, yall.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I was looking at them both and the Global West arm is for 3rd gens only. The Unbalanced Engineering unit is for the 4th gens.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:45 AM
Staging Lane

Thank you for that. Either way, it looks like the de-coupled torque arm is pure gimmick.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:32 AM
TECH Regular

Lol, it's most certainly not gimmick at all. The people over on frrax that get it tuned in have amazing results with it. You should prolly check out an autocross and roadracing forum (frrax) for info on it rather than a site primarily dedicated to the ls-based engine and straightline.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:21 AM
BS
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I was looking at them both and the Global West arm is for 3rd gens only. The Unbalanced Engineering unit is for the 4th gens.
Incorrect. The Tracklink is available four the 4th gens:

Tracklink - Torque Arm Camaro/Firebird (6-Speed)
part # TSC-24

Tracklink - Torque Arm Camaro/Firebird (Automatic
Trans) part # TSC-26

Trans) part # TSC-27
Old 02-26-2012, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

are you gunna use the stock 3.8 in the car or you gunna go v8? kinda off topic but a 400whp 3.8 n/a is well.. hard.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

The decoupled torque arm I don't believe is a gimmick. It's just a bit of work to get it setup perfectly from what I heard. I'd love to set one up on my car if I wanted to put in the time and effort since I do local spectator drags which requires launching and then planting power around turns. That's perfect.

Everyone who has one seems to have their own solutions for setting it up. There's a part that absorbs impact.. I think the part that comes with it is a rubber stopper.. others have added a valve spring in place of it.

Question is what kind of application are you doing it for? Unless you are getting serious into competing in some sort of event/competition, I would just go for a long aftermarket arm. It's up to you though.

Also, BMW's I didn't think were known for hooking. Handling not many cars come close to the feel.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BS
Incorrect. The Tracklink is available four the 4th gens:

Tracklink - Torque Arm Camaro/Firebird (6-Speed)
part # TSC-24

Trans) part # TSC-26

Trans) part # TSC-27
That's what I get for looking it up late at night. Drat totally missed that. Derp.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bwkmaro
are you gunna use the stock 3.8 in the car or you gunna go v8? kinda off topic but a 400whp 3.8 n/a is well.. hard.
Yeah, it's gonna be REALLY hard to get 400 to the ground out of the L36, but it's what my brother would do. This car is my tribute to him. To hell with the SBC guys who say it's impossible to do and make it streetable. My brother knew no such conformity or laziness. The SBC folks can make an easy 600whp day in and day out, imagine what it would mean to successfully change the firing order and accomplish all else...on pump gas. I'll assure you of one thing, though: the final engine will NOT be what's in there now. I'm anticipating blowing up a NUMBER of engines and heads. Final estimate I have for this project is probably around $50,000. Figure 5 for the paint, 5 for the suspension, 5 for the T56 with custom ratios, that leaves 35 for engineS, headS, research and development, dyno time...

As for the decoupled torque arm, looks like my numbers were way off. I thought I could do everything for $2,500. Nope. $2,500 is just a start. Right now, I'm going for coilovers, RAM clutch, and subframe connectors. I also have LCAs to buy for the GP to finish up her handling. Of course, I don't want to lower my car, so I might tell Strano thanks for the hours of advice he gave on the phone and get a set of FE4 SS springs with a GOOD set of shocks.

Thanks all for your input and opinions. I really appreciate it.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive got the Unbalanced Engineering unit on my car. It seems to work pretty well.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:33 AM
Staging Lane

What does it do? What does it feel like? Was it worth the money? Is it worth the time? How adamantly would you endorse the torque arm?

Quick Reply: De-coupled torque arm. Any experience out there?