Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

LED Blinker Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LED Blinker Problem

Im switching all my exterior lights to LEDs. I have front and rear LED marker lights and front turn signals. I had the buy the different flasher unit to get the front blinkers to work. I got my 194, 3157 brake lights and amber turn signals today. I got my brake lights and the 194s beside them to work on the back. When I plugged in turn signal LEDs neither side would work. It was a real faint amber color, but when I turn my 4-ways on, both worked perfectly fine. They were really bright. So they work with 4-way flashers but not on regular turn signal. Any tips or ideas on what to do?
Old 04-02-2012, 07:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What flasher did you get?
Old 04-02-2012, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

you bought the cheap ones with no resistor in it, the problem is it is not drawing enough current from the line so the blinker module is acting like you have a blown blinker filament or some crap like that and is not engaging the flash function. Most of the time the cheap LEDs require a separate unit that draws current to be wired in to simulate the current amount of current drain that enables the flash mode. It was complicated to figure out exactly what I needed on my old car so I just didnt bother with the new one, but I had to buy the bulbs, a resistor (i forget exactly what it was called) of some sort and had to wire that crap in with those connectors that cut through the insulation and it just hung there because I didnt want to drill any holes to mount it. lol
Old 04-02-2012, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...bulb-notes.htm Heres a link to help get you started
Old 04-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by whytryz28
What flasher did you get?
Originally Posted by jaxcam02
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...bulb-notes.htm Heres a link to help get you started
This is the flasher I bought:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...r=6413_0_7281_
I read this thread to help with the flasher:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...l#post16153689
Old 04-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Launching!

you bought the cheap ones with no resistor in it, the problem is it is not drawing enough current from the line so the blinker module is acting like you have a blown blinker filament or some crap like that and is not engaging the flash function. Most of the time the cheap LEDs require a separate unit that draws current to be wired in to simulate the current amount of current drain that enables the flash mode. It was complicated to figure out exactly what I needed on my old car so I just didnt bother with the new one, but I had to buy the bulbs, a resistor (i forget exactly what it was called) of some sort and had to wire that crap in with those connectors that cut through the insulation and it just hung there because I didnt want to drill any holes to mount it. lol
SO if I buy the turn signal bulbs from superbrightleds.com with the resistor built in, all I should have to do is plug them in and they should work?
Old 04-02-2012, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

TO be honest Im not exactly sure but from what I have read from some forums on here the more expensive ones have the resistors in them, you may want to call and ask them because I don't want you going on my word on that and it not working, but what I am sure of is the cheaper ones I bought needed the resistor to work correctly. And you don't have to get them from superbrightleds.com, it was just a site I was vaguely familiar with but the prefered site I have noticed from this site is the superbright. If you decide to try out the expensive ones let me know how they work. It was just so much confusion for me and took so much research to just to get the cheap ones to work I'm a little hesitant on trying them again.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Launching!

TO be honest Im not exactly sure but from what I have read from some forums on here the more expensive ones have the resistors in them, you may want to call and ask them because I don't want you going on my word on that and it not working, but what I am sure of is the cheaper ones I bought needed the resistor to work correctly. And you don't have to get them from superbrightleds.com, it was just a site I was vaguely familiar with but the prefered site I have noticed from this site is the superbright. If you decide to try out the expensive ones let me know how they work. It was just so much confusion for me and took so much research to just to get the cheap ones to work I'm a little hesitant on trying them again.
Superbrightleds is where I bought all my other LEDs. I just wanted to see if the cheapos from ebay would work. SBLEDS want like $25 a light for the back lol. All my othe LEDs are from them
Old 04-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Launching!

Bump.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea my cheapos from ebay were like 5 bucks for both bulbs but Ive heard people paying 25 bucks a bulb have just been plug and play devices.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Would my LEDs I put in cause my cruise control not to work?
Old 04-05-2012, 05:42 PM
Launching!

Does it sound like I could use this flasher instead of buying the load resistors?
CF12ANL-01: LED Bulb Flasher Unit

•Electronic LED Flashers have no minimum load-12VDC
•Eliminates the need for load resistors, turn signals will flash at normal rate with or without LED bulbs
•Click More Info to see Flasher Selection Guide
•Price for each
Old 04-05-2012, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by insidethreat07
Does it sound like I could use this flasher instead of buying the load resistors?

•Eliminates the need for load resistors, turn signals will flash at normal rate with or without LED bulbs
•Price for each
from what it looks like in the details I think youd be free and clear with that bulb. And as far as cruise control Im not sure what a bulb would have to do with that not working, no clue there man.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:14 PM
TECH Junkie

I know chaning the rear 3rd brake light to LEDs with out putting a relay in-line caused my cruise control to not work.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Launching!

from what it looks like in the details I think youd be free and clear with that bulb. And as far as cruise control Im not sure what a bulb would have to do with that not working, no clue there man.
Yea I think that will help my blinker problem. Just gotta figure out my Cruise control.

Originally Posted by whytryz28
I know chaning the rear 3rd brake light to LEDs with out putting a relay in-line caused my cruise control to not work.
My third brake lights have been LEDs for awhile now. It just started when I changed my Brake lights to LEDs. Im gonna put a couple reg bulbs in back till my cruise control works again. Im still gonna check my fuses before I start pulling bulbs.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

let me know i cant get the front turn lights to work right either..... i ran 2 led flashers also the kind with the ground leads. All the rest of the leds 194 and rears all work fine. so im stuck too.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BCKNBLK
let me know i cant get the front turn lights to work right either..... i ran 2 led flashers also the kind with the ground leads. All the rest of the leds 194 and rears all work fine. so im stuck too.
The EL12 flasher from Autozone will work if you have LED's in the front but regular in the rear and vice versa. It works because there is still enough load to pull in the electo-magnet in it. All LED's wont do it.

Heres the links that kinds helped me.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...rks-cheap.html

Heres the Flasher and info I plan on buying to see if it helps with all my problems. Even thought I think it will only help with my blinker problem
Superbrightleds.com

•Price for each

Quick Reply: LED Blinker Problem