Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Wave-Trac or True Track????

Old 04-30-2012, 01:12 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Wave-Trac or True Track????

Like the title suggest, which unit should i get in a 9"?

I was told the True Track was only good to about 600 rwhp, and after that i should upgrade to the Wave-trac unit and 35 spline axles. I have a spare lq9 engine i want to build a 408 and then a procharger fmic with d1sc laying around that i will also be installing when i get a chance. 600 rwhp was my goal, which i think i should be able to attain easily.

However, i live at 5000ft elevation so the actual power we put down is 20% less than sea level. so really if a dyno is reading 720 correct power we are only putting down 600 actual.

The car is just a fun weekend cruiser that i want to take to a drag strip once in a while and have fun, and I'm not an overly aggressive driver or hard on parts. Will the true track hold up?

Also which axles should i run, moser or strange? i have read a few comments of people having problems with moser axles. The place i was getting the rear end from recommended moser over the strange. Said the strange axles are harder and over time when street driven can cause them to crack. Is this true???
Old 04-30-2012, 03:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Wave Trac or S Trac. Both are the strongest you will get next to a spool.

Do not even consider the Trutrac.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:47 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gpr
Said the strange axles are harder and over time when street driven can cause them to crack. Is this true???
Wow.... now that sales guy gets an "A" for effort. That right there tells you they are selling you stuff just to make a sale, and not WHAT YOU NEED.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gpr

I was told the True Track was only good to about 600 rwhp, and after that i should upgrade to the Wave-trac unit and 35 spline axles. I have a spare lq9 engine i want to build a 408 and then a procharger fmic with d1sc laying around that i will also be installing when i get a chance. 600 rwhp was my goal, which i think i should be able to attain easily.

However, i live at 5000ft elevation so the actual power we put down is 20% less than sea level. so really if a dyno is reading 720 correct power we are only putting down 600 actual.

The car is just a fun weekend cruiser that i want to take to a drag strip once in a while and have fun, and I'm not an overly aggressive driver or hard on parts. Will the true track hold up?

Also which axles should i run, moser or strange? i have read a few comments of people having problems with moser axles. The place i was getting the rear end from recommended moser over the strange. Said the strange axles are harder and over time when street driven can cause them to crack. Is this true???
Are You sure He didn't say He had to go smoke some more crack?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

No,No he said "strange ******** make life harder and being out on the street there is a risk of smoking crack"! LOL!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:45 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gpr

I'm curious, who are you buying your rear from?

I don't recommend the Truetrac for the level of power you are headed to. Have you looked at my Moser prices? Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 05-01-2012, 03:25 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Okay so i gather that strange axles are better. What differential would you recommend for me if i go with a 9"?

Seems like the trutrac is very strong in the s60's, not so much in the 9" rears from what people are telling me.

I'm just trying to figure out what would be best for me and which way to go as all these different options and vendors are confusing me.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:27 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

btw, is trac-loc stronger than a truetrac?
Old 05-01-2012, 03:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by gpr
Okay so i gather that strange axles are better. What differential would you recommend for me if i go with a 9"?

Seems like the trutrac is very strong in the s60's, not so much in the 9" rears from what people are telling me.

I'm just trying to figure out what would be best for me and which way to go as all these different options and vendors are confusing me.
I have sold over a million dollars worth of Moser rears over the years, and I have had very few problems with their axles. If it were me I would go with the Wavetrac and the larger 35 spline axles. Bob

Old 05-01-2012, 03:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by gpr
btw, is trac-loc stronger than a truetrac?
It certainly seems to be in the 9 inch rears. The only problem is you can't have the Trac-Loc if it is an ABS (3 channel) only car, as there isn't room in the center section for the exciter ring. If you have ABS/TCS (4 channel) (TCS is traction control) then it is not a problem as the exciter rings are outboard by the brakes. Bob

Old 05-01-2012, 11:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
I have sold over a million dollars worth of Moser rears over the years, and I have had very few problems with their axles. If it were me I would go with the Wavetrac and the larger 35 spline axles. Bob
I have the Wavetrac with 35 splines in my 9". Love it. Another big thanks to Bob.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:57 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

The diff unit you select will be determined by the rearend you choose, and your goals for the car power wise and trans. There are different concerns whether or not one diff is stronger than another in any particular rearend, it's all the specific application. In a 9" a Truetrac in an A4 car will live behind much more power than one in a M6 car i.e.

If you have a M6 car over 500hp and expect to do any racing and want a reliable setup with the least distortion/flex in the diff unit then I suggest the S-trac or Wavetrac diff units in the 9" rears. These are a bit more costly than the posi or Truetrac diffs, but the lifetime warranty and proven strength of these units are well worth the extra cost and peace of mind.

If you do decide to go with the Trac-loc clutch type posi, and have 3 ch abs, then we have you covered.
MWC can do 3ch ABS setup on any 9" rearend, any diff unit, any case-even aluminum. No other company offers this. Even if you have an existing rearend that was not equipped with the 3ch originally, MWC can get you setup!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:58 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BlackLS1Bird
I have the Wavetrac with 35 splines in my 9". Love it. Another big thanks to Bob.
Thanks, I appreciate it! Bob

Old 05-02-2012, 10:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love my S-trac it drives just like stock cant really tell its back there
Old 05-02-2012, 01:38 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Since I'll be running an auto, would i be ok with the true trac in a 9"?

I rarely will run drag radials. I'm trying to decide if the wavetrac is worth the extra $540 cause I'm on a budget. But at the same time don't want it to be breaking all the time like the 10 bolt.

is the S trac the same price as wave trac?
Old 05-02-2012, 06:28 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

600 with an auto will probably be ok with a Truretrac, but it will be at it's limit.

The way I look at it is if you have a problem with any other diff unit(other than a spool) then the cost of the upgrade to the S-Trac/Wavetrac unit will be much less doing it right the first time. A diff unit failure could result in having to replace pretty much everything in the center section other than the case and support.

The S-trac and the Wavetrac are basically the same cost, and have the same warranty. There are some minor differences, but I am not going into detail here. I speak the absolute truth as I have had my hands on and assembled both, not just selling someone's product.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

How come I cant get MWC to answer my pm's and emails when I can clearly see that he is on every day making replies in threads. Makes no sence when someone wants to place an order but has a few questions. Havent figured it out yet.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What account did you send the PM too? If you sent PM's to MidwestChassis account that one is no longer active, send them to ssvert99 and they'll help you out.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

2 pms to ssvert99 and one to the email right on there site, lol! Not trying to bitch but I need some advice on a few things before pulling the tricker.... Thanks for trying to help for sure LS-one day. I think they hate me and I haven't even spoke to them yet, lmao!!!!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hm alright, I sent a PM to both accounts, I got a reply from ssvert within 48 hours, maybe 24 can't remember. That's the problem with internet communications lol sometimes you get replies straight away and sometimes you don't. You can always give them a call during business hours and speak to them on the phone, 309-382-6252

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wave-Trac or True Track????