Notices
Vehicle Classifieds This an archive of the older vehicle classifieds, please create a new listing in our Marketplace.
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (State):

Color:

Transmission:

Drivetrain:

LS Engine?:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Part Fits:

Location (State):

Item Condition:

Engine:

LS Engine?:

1987 Chevrolet Suburban LS 5.3 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1987 Chevrolet Suburban LS 5.3 Swap

Year: 1987
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Suburban
Price: $4500
Mileage: 80000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (State): TX
Color: Black
Transmission: Automatic
Drivetrain: 4WD & AWD
LS Engine?: Car has LS engine

I have a 1987 Chevrolet Suburban V10 1/2 Ton Truck. It started off as a 10 bolt/350 TBI, The TBI had seen better days so i decided to do this Motor swap. The truck is absolutely NOT in perfect condition. The Paint is decent but is definitely showing its age with clear coat peel. Also both doors have been dented in. There IS some minor rust on body panels only but never cared as this thing was going to get banged up on the trail anyways. The paint still shines somewhat when clean so that was good enough for me! The interior is actually pretty good. I stripped all the carpet out though planning on Rhino Lining it so it is bare floor right now. All seats are in great condition, no tears or anything. The dash is decent but does have a small amount of small pieces that are broken such as the radio mount and such. The Factory speakers are all still there and it is wired for an aftermarket radio(but no radio will be included). The A/C is deleted but the air will still flow and the heater is still absolutely functional.

The lift is a 6" suspension Lift from Rough Country.

Front Axle is a 10 bolt w/ 3.73's and fluids have been changed and such.(rebuilt 25k ago)
Rear Axle is a Newly Rebuilt(no miles) 14 bolt FF(full floater) w/ 3.73's to match the front. Drum brakes were also completely replaced upon rebuild of rear end. Driveshaft U joints have 10k on them
Transfer case was freshened up/checked for play/ Gaskets replaced, Fluids changed(No miles-New)

The rear has brand new Pro Comp Steel 16.5X10" wheels with 37" Military Humvee tires.
The front has 35" worn Super Swampers on 15" wheels.
I Do have the other two same tread Military tires for the front but was waiting to find a Dana 44 or 60 for the front in 8 lug to buy the front wheels to Install.
The wheels that are on the front i have a full set of 4 that will come with it. I also have a an extra 33" Mud king on one of those wheels.

Now off to the Swap info.
The engine is a 2003 Chevy 1500 Truck Pullout with 68k Miles. Compression was tested upon Arrival and was great. Also before the engine went in, most gaskets were replaced-Head gaskets/oil pan/valve covers/exhaust manifold/rear main/front crank seal.
The transmission is a fully built BRAND NEW Rebuilt Transmission good for up to 500HP. Can give more details if wanted-need to find the build sheet. Brand new torque converter was installed at the same time and new fluid obviously. (has a warranty)
The Wiring harness/Battery cables are all out of the same truck and were custom modified and completely redone by myself. The Computer has been tuned and is ready for the stand alone setup it is. Also has been mounted with a mount out of a 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe.
The motor is installed with Custom CNC adjustable Plates that use the factory motor mounts and is adjustable up to 3" where it is mounted so that you do not have to change the driveshaft length or where the trans is mounted.
The battery has been relocated to the Drivers side to use the factory battery cables out of the newer truck and is a new Redtop Optima.
Radiator is new and all the hoses(from Chevrolet Avalanche) brand new also. Has new Coolant of course.
Fan is a Ford Lincoln Mark Dual Speed 18" Fan setup Custom mounted. Has not been wired yet but does have a brand new Pre made Relay setup to take care of the 100+ amps these crazy fans pull on start up.
Exhaust manifolds are from Chevy Fbody(Camaro/Firebird) for clearance reasons. that is the only exhaust currently made-the rest needs to be made
Power Steering Pump is out of the new chevy truck and the High pressure line is also. the Low pressure line is from the factory Pump.
Fuel pump is an AC Delco Pump out of a 90's 1 Ton truck( direct drop in) to supply the 55+ psi needed for the LS. Fuel filter was replaced sometime ago, do not remember exact mileage.
Intake is a Brand new AEM Brute Force Intake
Fuel lines from factory lines to the new intake are brand new custom made AN lines with Quick connects
MAF is brand new
Coolant temp sensor is brand new
Wires are brand new
Motor mounts are brand new
Brake Booster/Master Cylinder/Resevoir are brand new
Great condition Hella Comet 500's

Now for the info on the truck.
It is not completely finished and does not run at the moment. I will list the things that need to be done for it to run.

Two factory stainless fuel lines need to be repaired and shortened by a repair shop due to massive leakage.
The fan wiring needs to be finished.(will wire up to the new ECU and turn on automatically by the new Stand Alone
O2 Sensors(2) need to be bought and installed(wiring is there for them)
Exhaust needs to be finished(of course it will run open headers but not recommended)

That is literally all. I am just slammed with both my jobs, Plus the main reason is right now my current living situation i have absolutely no room for this truck, i am paying for storage right now on it. I have spend around $6000+ alone in the whole swap/rear end/transmission/Parts and lots of hours getting this truck to where it is now.
There is a bunch more that i could tell you but it would be way easier to show you. This truck does not need much to run and will be a beast.

I also have many more pictures i can send via email or text.

Contact me via here on my email or

214-733-0785-text only before 5PM

I am asking $4500 OBO, I have way more than that in this truck plus all my labor hours. I just dropped it $1500, that is how bad i need this truck gone.

Last edited by 2fast97Z; 08-23-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump!!
Old 08-23-2012, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Price lowered $1500, Need this thing gone.

Quick Reply: 1987 Chevrolet Suburban LS 5.3 Swap